6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2020 6:11 AM by Richard Rowe

How does Track-It! / BCM determine the Primary Logged On User?

Ken Soszka
      Share This:

In Track-It! Asset Management, there is the option to determine the Primary Logged on User upon Discovery. It seems that this information is determined by BMC Client Management running in the background, and is then synchronized to Track-It! along with the asset data. What is the exact methodology used to determine that - is it simply the most recent user to log on, or something more intricate?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How does Track-It! / BCM determine the Primary Logged On User?
          Richard Rowe

Hi Ken

I believe the Track-It! configuration is set up with BCM that Track-It! will take the Lost Logged on User (domain\username) from the time of the audit and then synch into Track-It! and tie the Domain\Username from the requestors in Track-It! in order to marry the two.

If a future audit takes place and another user is logged on the machine at the time of the audit, BCM will pick up the Last Logged on User and update the owner to that logged on user, providing they exist as a requestor.

I believe there is a setting in BCM where you can hold the value to be sticky (and not overwrite), but I will have to revisit the BCM console and take a look as I'm a bit rusty with this setting.

Hope this helps.

Ricky

• 2. Re: How does Track-It! / BCM determine the Primary Logged On User?
            Ken Soszka

Thanks Ricky, that is my belief as well, but I'm looking for an official definitive answer from someone at BMC if possible. Is it simply the last logged on user, or something like most frequent user?

• 3. Re: How does Track-It! / BCM determine the Primary Logged On User?
              Sanchit .

Hi Ken,

Track-It! will take the Lost Logged on User (domain\username) from the time of the audit and then synch into Track-It! and tie the Domain\Username.

During asset discovery if user login is detected then it's captured, after BCM agent is installed and when the user logs in the identity is generated with that user and uploaded to master this is not changed until someone else logs into that device.

• 4. Re: How does Track-It! / BCM determine the Primary Logged On User?
                Richard Rowe

Hi Ken

To add a little meat on the bones. The value is taken from this area in BCM (See screenshot below):

So despite the last audit taking place having a different user (i.e. TN\Administrator), as the Primary User is set to TN\Brian.Norvill, Track-It! will use this user.

If the agent is allowed to Auto-Update, then it will take the last logged on user during the audit, populate it as the Primary User, which is turn will sync to Track-It! and update the Asset Mgt record:

And to show from a custom Op Rule, you can see that Administrator has logged on more times than Brian and was also the last logged on:

But still, as long as the Primary User is Brian, then it will stay like this in Track-It!

Stepping away from the actual device and where the Primary User is located, there are configuration settings that can be applied to the Identity Component of the agent that will affect the period of the Primary User.

More info can be found at: Setting the Identity module parameters - Documentation for BMC Client Management 20.08 - BMC Documentation

Hopefully this helps you understand the mechanism in more detail.

Granted I'm not from BMC, but I work for a partner in the UK/EMEA region and was at Numara Software when we acquired Criston and their Precision solution (which is now the fantastic product we know and love as BCM) in 2010. I hope this offers a touch of confidence.

Cheers

Ricky

• 5. Re: How does Track-It! / BCM determine the Primary Logged On User?
                  Ken Soszka

Thanks to you both. The full explanation is exactly what I wanted to know.

So I'm thinking that to eventually have BCM always have the correct primary users, we would need to touch every machine record and disable the automatic update of the primary user while it is set to that user, is that correct?

Nice history there Ricky! I was the Lead Tech Support Analyst for Track-It! at BMC, I was there from 2014 - 2018. Version 11.0 thru 11.4, and right before 2017 (now 2020) was publicly released. I was involved in testing the new version with development team, but never did get to do support for it. I met a few old-school Numara / Blue Ocean guys there, I was in the the Tampa, FL office. I do Track-It! 11.x and 20.x consulting for a couple of different BMC partners here in the US, and I'm learning Client Management at the moment. Thanks again for the help!

• 6. Re: How does Track-It! / BCM determine the Primary Logged On User?
                    Richard Rowe

Hi Ken

You're very welcome.

This is correct. You would have to have this setting on the primary user, so it ties that user to the device. That said, even not set, it is likely that most environments would have the same primary user, so if it is left alone all that will happen is the agent config will renew the primary user to be the same.

The Hardware history will pick up any change of value against the computer system, so you will also have an audit available.

I'd say we have some connected history. I go back to version 2 of Track-It! so similar to Cris I've been fortunate to see Track-It! in all it's lives bar the initial release. I've been to the Tampa office a few times, was even given a fob to enter the building when I was employed though the commute would have been a challenge from the UK . Client Management is a fantastic tool. It is really powerful and I'm delighted that Track-It! has finally got the opportunity to utilise this product. I was also fortunate to work closely with the guys in France and had Haissam to give me my initial training and introduction to BCM.

Good luck with the learning.

Ricky