5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2020 2:24 PM by BerkOne NET

Track IT 2020 - integrating custom lookups with external data sources/feeds

BerkOne NET
      Share This:

Was directed here by BMC support as this was noted as not currently possible.

We are configuring a Track IT 2020 application and hoping to be able to populate one of our custom lookup fields using data from one of our other applications. It seems this is not currently possible without adding the data manually which would be very time consuming to load and maintain.

Would it be possible to integrate a custom look up with a data feed in the future or has anyone come up with a method of doing this currently?

• 1. Re: Track IT 2020 - integrating custom lookups with external data sources/feeds
          Richard Rowe

Hi there

A few questions.

1. Where is the data expected to reside in Track-It! (e.g. Would this be in the Asset Mgt or Helpdesk Module)?
          2. Is this a one off, or ongoing requirement?
          3. Is the data going to be added to an existing object or create something new?
          4. Does your other application allow you to fire out the information via an email (e.g. Could the data from the application be added into an email)?
          5. How many fields are you looking to populate with data?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Ricky

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Track IT 2020 - integrating custom lookups with external data sources/feeds
            BerkOne NET

Hey Richard,

1. This would be in a help desk as we would want to use the data to populate a custom lookup field for techs to choose from on the ticket

2. This would be an ongoing requirement. If we add content to one system it would flow through to synchronize with Track IT

3. Assuming an existing object as the custom lookup fields are limited to an existing set within the application

4. We could but this would not be an optimal way to integrate a data feed between systems

5. Just the one for now, but it would be helpful if custom look up fields were not a manual effort to maintain

Hope that helps.

-Mike

• 3. Re: Track IT 2020 - integrating custom lookups with external data sources/feeds
              Richard Rowe

Hey Mike

Many thanks for sharing the information, I understand what you are trying to achieve in more detail now.

Currently the Track-It! API does not cater for this type of request, which means that getting the data into Track-It! would either be via a backend procedure into the database (e.g. An update query on the ticket table) or via email.

I try to avoid using the database and prefer to utilise what is available from within the product. So for this reason, I would suggest email.

I appreciate and agree that email is not the optimal way, but it is most likely going to be the quickest and safest method.

The way to do this is to have your other system fire out the email and then create a business rule that uses the extract expression with a delimiter to pull out the data from the email and add it to the custom field.

I know from your previous post, it isn't the ideal way for you, but hopefully it offers some food for thought and allows you to weigh the current options.

Cheers

Ricky

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Track IT 2020 - integrating custom lookups with external data sources/feeds
                Richard Rowe

Hi Mike

Had a quick look at the APIs at the weekend to ascertain if there's anything new since I previously looked and also to revisit it in more detail.

I've put a quick video tutorial together using the Web API with Swagger:

Track-It! 20xx 20.20.02: WebAPI - Update a Ticket - YouTube

This example adds an entry to a custom field of an existing ticket.

Maybe this is also an option for you.

Cheers

Ricky

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Track IT 2020 - integrating custom lookups with external data sources/feeds
                  BerkOne NET

Thanks Richard, That might be at least a good middle-ground even if it's not optimal. I'll look into that a little more as it may get us something close to what we need.