7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2020 9:28 PM by Mandar Ingale

Control-M and ITRS Geneos Integration - Feedback on setup

Mandar Ingale
      Share This:

Hello Folks,

Need your help or insights on understand what should be best approach for Control-M Geneos integration

Control-m environment i support is quite heavy - 600K jobs every day, 4 Million Conditions getting processed, 1 Million global conditions for one data center.

Now we are exploring onboarding ITRS Geneos for application level monitoring. There is requirement for fetching Job status of critical jobs so that ITRS geneos can show in it's dashboard.

Geneos has provided feedback that, to fetch data they will API considering we are at latest EM version however they are also looking to install Geneos component - Netprob on EM iteself where Geneos Control-M Plug in will be configured.

I am not understanding if API is getting used and we are not looking to monitor CTM Appllication with Geneos then Netprob needs to install on EM only?

Why it can be somewhere else if whole purpose is to use API for fetching data.

Has any one faced similar challenge while integrating COntrol-M and ITRS Geneos? Unfortunately Geneos does not have recommendation on this and they are saying it can be in EM or it can be on Geneos Gateway or it can be any where.

Any guidance on this would help. We dont want to overengineer design and same dont want to disturb already busy EM.

• 1. Re: Control-M and ITRS Geneos Integration - Feedback on setup
          Bentze Perlmutter

Hi Mandar,

I've implemented ITRS to Control-M integration and at two sites, using the ITRS Plugin for Control-M that uses AAPI, and in neither did we install the Netprob on the Control-M/EM host.

In both situations the application teams installed Netprob on their end and there was no ITRS component installed on Control-M servers.

BTW, I recently found that any AAPI 'run' service calls are done in the back-end using the 'All Jobs' View Point.

So ITRS calls to Control-M use the 'run' service. For a large site, like yours, the 'All Jobs' View Point has 600K jobs in it so it is likely the 'run' calls will timeout with a Thrift timout error. (I ran into this with around 400K jobs)

I just found this out the other day and am still investigating possible solutions or workarounds. I'll keep you updated what I found. I'll be interested to know if you run into this in your environment.

Regards,

Bentze

• 2. Re: Control-M and ITRS Geneos Integration - Feedback on setup
            Mandar Ingale

Hi Ben,

This reply of your is highly appreciated mate and also for sure will explore further on thrift timeout. Thank you for guidance.

If I can further request, and I can completely understand if you chose to not provide this but can you help me on below request?

• Where did Netprob agent and Control-M plug in was installed? was it in Geneos gateway server  or application team host who wants to see Control-M job status in dashboard of Geneos?
              • I got feedback from Geneos team that if we install Netprob in CTM EM local only then less network load so it will be faster.
              • I am not convinced on this as our network latency is of 1mili second and both Geneos Gateway server and Control-M EM are residing in same network layer. Have requested Geneos to justify this with data, but this is wasting project timeline.
              • Do you find any merit in this argument as our network infra is quite robust and I highly doubtful any load on network is valid justification to install on EM only.
              • Another point we got from Geneos is , if we install netprob on EM CTM server then only delta changes will go to gateway as it has that algorithm inside. Based on your experience do you find any merit in it

I also requested Geneos why can not we install netprob/control-M plug in on geneos gateway server only and fetch data with AAPI.

I am not finding any merit in installing Netprob on EM side as whole purpose of AAPI is defeated. If geneos Netprob requires always in EM side, then why to use AAPI? why can not geneos use cli or local utilities then.

Also installing Geneos on local EM machine calls for separate Java installation and associated vulnerabilities is another point I need to worry for.

Your help so far has been great help for me mate. if you help me on above points, it would be highly appreciated.

• 3. Re: Control-M and ITRS Geneos Integration - Feedback on setup
              Bentze Perlmutter

Hi Mandar,

In our case we definitely didn't install anything on EM host. We were also never asked to do such a thing.

I'm not sure if the netprob is on the application hosts or the gateway host as I wasn't involved in that discussion. (I'll ask someone about this next week and let you know what they say)

I agree with you that installing ITRS on Control-M/EM host makes no sense.

If we use their logic, that this will cut down on network traffic (which it will), you can argue that all applications should be installed on one server :-)

Having different applications on different servers is part of the Distributed world, otherwise we can move everything back to the Mainframe!

Regarding your points see my answers inline:

• I got feedback from Geneos team that if we install Netprob in CTM EM local only then less network load so it will be faster.

Bentze>> I'm sure this is true, local should be faster, but installing on any server in the network should be fast enough, otherwise we may as well install all applications on the same host. In our case, netprob is not on Control-M/EM host and I haven't heard anyone from ITRS complain about performance. (By default it collects data every 5min, so the AAPI calls happen every 5min per filter/probe they configure, which they can have many)

• I am not convinced on this as our network latency is of 1mili second and both Geneos Gateway server and Control-M EM are residing in same network layer. Have requested Geneos to justify this with data, but this is wasting project timeline.

Bentze>> I agree with you. In our case the ITRS components are not on Control-M/EM host and I haven't heard of any performance issues on their side.

• Do you find any merit in this argument as our network infra is quite robust and I highly doubtful any load on network is valid justification to install on EM only.

Bentze>> I don't find any merit in their argument to install ITRS on the same host as Control-M/EM

• Another point we got from Geneos is , if we install netprob on EM CTM server then only delta changes will go to gateway as it has that algorithm inside. Based on your experience do you find any merit in it

Bentze>> I've never heard of this and find it doubtful. How does ITRS even know that it is on the CTM/EM host? It makes AAPI connections and doesn't/shouldn't care if those connections are to its local or remote.

I would ask them to explain how ITRS identifies to itself that it is on the CTM/EM host and therefore can use their advanced "detla" algorithm?

Also, I'm assuming this "delta" is from ITRS perspective. Meaning, it still makes call to Control-M and gets "all" data, but then passes back the "delta" to it's own components, so from Control-M perspective their is no advantage.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bentze

• 4. Re: Control-M and ITRS Geneos Integration - Feedback on setup
                Bentze Perlmutter

I forgot to mention, the bug re the Thrift timeout is DRDEV-40.

ID: DRDEV-40

Summary: Error while processing view point: Thrift callback timeout

Details: trying to list a big AJF using ctm run jobs status get: fails when the time limit (60.000 ms) is achieved.

In case you want to ask BMC about when there will be a fix for this.

• 5. Re: Control-M and ITRS Geneos Integration - Feedback on setup
                  Bentze Perlmutter

Hi Mandar,

I checked and found that the NetProb are installed on the application team's own hosts and not the ITRS Gateway host.

Regards,

Bentze

• 6. Re: Control-M and ITRS Geneos Integration - Feedback on setup
                    Bentze Perlmutter

Hi Mandar,

FYI, BMC have advised that DRDEV-40 is planned to be fixed in the upcoming September release (9.0.20.030) of Automation API.

Regards,

Bentze

• 7. Re: Control-M and ITRS Geneos Integration - Feedback on setup
                      Mandar Ingale

Thanks a lot Ben. I could not be more thankful on this. you help is much appreciated mate on this.