5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2020 4:27 PM by Lisa Keeler

duplicate devices in bmc discovery

Depanker Pandey
      Share This:

Hi,

I am getting duplicate network devices being discovered by ADDM. They have the same  details for all the attributes except the IP address. Please help me understand the rootcause of the issue and how to go on resolving the same. I have run the discovery for the IP addresses and they are having good access in every run.

Regards,

Depanker

• 1. Re: duplicate devices in bmc discovery
          Lisa Keeler

Below is a useful query to research "duplicate" NetworkDevice nodes.

Normally, you should find that something changed other than the IP address.

Substitute the name of your device instead of the yellow abc:

Search FLAGS(include_destroyed) NetworkDevice where name matches "abc"

Show name, key, serial, partition_id, sysobjectid, sysname, capability_types, __all_mac_addrs, __all_ip_addrs, destroyed(#) as 'Destroyed?', friendlyTime(destructionTime(#)) as 'DestructionTime', last_update_success, age_count, friendlyTime(creationTime(#)) as 'CreationTime'

3 of 3 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: duplicate devices in bmc discovery
            Depanker Pandey

Hello Lisa,

Thanks for the query to find duplicates in ADDM. It will be of great help to find the same in the environment.

Wanted to know what might be the reason behind this duplicate discovery. Any scenario that you can think of which may cause this issue?

Thanks

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: duplicate devices in bmc discovery
              Lisa Keeler

"Duplicates" are not really considered duplicates by the engineering team, but I will use the word duplicates because that is the word that customers use to indicate that there is more than one node with the same "name'.

More than one node with the same 'name' is pretty normal.

Causes can be things such as the serial number changed, or the mac addresses changed... or something else important from the query changed values.

When any of these attributes change values, you might get a "duplicate" NetworkDevice node:

name, key, serial, partition_id, sysobjectid, sysname, capability_types, __all_mac_addrs,

Let's say serial number changed for the device named "device123".

When Discovery scans again the IP address(es) belonging to "device123", it asks:  Is this a new NetworkDevice, or does it match an existing NetworkDevice.

If the serial# has changed on the device since the last scan, Discovery decides that there is no matching NetworkDevice already scanned.

So, it creates a new NetworkDevice with name=device123, serial=NEWSERIAL

Now, the old NetworkDevice with the old serial number is no longer discovered, so it starts to age out.  Eventually, it will be aged out and destroyed.

But, until that occurs, there are "duplicate" active NetworkDevice nodes.

The query returns the destroyed and active NetworkDevice nodes, both.

If you open a Support case, or send the results of the query, we can tell you specifically what happened.

FYI:  There are different queries for diagnosing "duplicates" for Host, Printer, SNMPManagedDevice, etc.  I provided the one for NetworkDevice because that is what you had asked about, I think.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: duplicate devices in bmc discovery
                Depanker Pandey

Hi Lisa,

Thanks, you are right about the fact that if any of the mentioned attributes are changed/modified the device is listed as duplicate and the older device record ages out on its own. But the concern on my end is that even though the serial number has been modified the devices on the older IP addresses are still being successfully scanned as separate devices. One thing i am forced to deduce that the new device might have been registered with wrong information. Please let me know if there might be another explanation for the same.

Regards,

Depanker

• 5. Re: duplicate devices in bmc discovery
                  Lisa Keeler

I don't understand what you are saying / I don't see the problem.  What are "older IP addresses"??

What happened, exactly?  Can you send a screenshot or open a case?

If serial # changed for device at IP 10.10.10.10, then 10.10.10.10 will still scan successfully.

But, the result of the scan should be a newer device with the new serial#.

1 of 1 people found this helpful