8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2020 7:26 AM by Mpumelelo Tsabedze

Delete or offline Inventory Locations

Kari Pawlenty
      Share This:

What is the best practice for setting an Inventory Location to no longer be used (delete, offline?)?

• 1. Re: Delete or offline Inventory Locations
          Stefan Hall

In very few cases does BMC distinguish between these two status values with special workflows. This is also the case here, technically it does not matter.

So it depends on how you organize your data in general. We always set "delete" where we plan to actually delete the data later. Otherwise we take "offline".

• 2. Re: Delete or offline Inventory Locations
            Kari Pawlenty

Thank you Stefan.  Where on the record do you mark it "offline"?  It may be possible that we just do not see the attribute to select.

• 3. Re: Delete or offline Inventory Locations
              Stefan Hall

The form is SIT:Site, below right you find the status values. Alternatively, you can access it via the application management console, but only via the custom configuration tab.

• 4. Re: Delete or offline Inventory Locations
                Kari Pawlenty

Thank you.  This appears to Offline or Delete, etc. the actual site. We have multiple Inventory Locations per site.  Is there a way to set an Inventory Location Offline or Delete, etc.?

• 5. Re: Delete or offline Inventory Locations
                  Stefan Hall

Maybe I misunderstood you. What exactly do you mean by inventory locations? We organize our equipment in these locations and if we give up one of them, we put it offline. Of course, only if there is nothing booked there anymore

You mean something else, right?

• 6. Re: Delete or offline Inventory Locations
                    Kari Pawlenty

Hi Stefan, In the Remedy/Helix ITSM (legacy blue, white, grey screen) to get to Inventory Locations, we route in one of the following manners from within the Applications / Asset Management / Asset Management Console:

1) We then select "Manage Inventory" within the Functions pane. The "Location" is the Inventory Location. OR

2) We select the drop-down arrow next to Search and select System / Inventory Locations. Here you can click search, which will display all the CI Names of the Inventory Locations you have.

You may have already known that, but was just trying to be clear on what we are looking at.

We are curious how we would offline, delete, etc. one of these Inventory Locations.  We would still keep the site information, but there just may not be an Inventory Location at that particular site any longer or there may even be 2 at that site (varying differences depending on situation).

I hope that helps clarify what we are looking for.  Thanks!

Kari

• 7. Re: Delete or offline Inventory Locations
                      Stefan Hall

Well, you surprised me. We don't care for it very much here and I haven't looked at it in detail yet. A status really doesn't seem to exist.

I checked a form in my system and the menu behind it. OOB BMC only distinguishes between active elements and those which are set to MarkAsDeleted. At least the qualification points to this.

('Data Set Id' = $1711100$) AND ('Class Id' = "BMC_INVENTORYSTORAGE") AND (('Mark As Deleted' = "No") OR ('Mark As Deleted' = $NULL$))

From my point of view you have only two possibilities:

1. you set the no longer needed elements to MAD = Yes
                      2. you actually delete the elements

Depends a little on how these elements get into your ASSET dataset. I prefer the way via MAD= yes and sometime a purge job in Recon.

As I said, I am not an expert for "inventory location". It's just my quick assessment.

Good luck

• 8. Re: Delete or offline Inventory Locations
                        Mpumelelo Tsabedze

Hi Kari,

I have the same question if you happen to have found resolution to your answer ?

I can imagine going to the CMDB forms however just want to confirm if the is no way via Asset Module forms...

Thanks