7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2020 3:24 PM by Anne Brock

Install/use Atrium Core only

Robert Radwanski
      Share This:

Hello,

is it possible to install and use only ARSystem and Atrium Core (without ITSM)?

To be honest, nobody ever asked me such question and I am not sure what is the answer.

Regards,

Rob

• 1. Re: Install/use Atrium Core only
          Sidhdesh Punaskar

Is it an interview question?

Technically you install ARS first and then Atrium Core + AI and then ITSM so "It is possible to install ARS and Atrium Core without ITSM".

What is business use case not to use ITSM? Are you going to use custom application using Atrium Core?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Install/use Atrium Core only
            Robert Radwanski

Hello Sidhesh,

no, it is not an interview question

One of customers asked me this question. He's already using some third party tools for managing ITSM processes (IncM + basic ChM) and now he's looking for a CMDB solution.

• 3. Re: Install/use Atrium Core only
              Mark Walters

Yes, it's perfectly possible to use CMDB without ITSM - the question will be is the functionality the customer is looking for part of Atrium  CMDB itself or is it in ITSM - change management for example?

• 4. Re: Install/use Atrium Core only
                Robert Radwanski

Hello Mark,

>> [...] is the functionality the customer is looking for part of Atrium  CMDB itself or is it in ITSM - change management for example?

Well, based on the basic requirements I got from the customer it seems that all he needs is CMDB + Configuration Management + ability to integrate the CMDB with mentioned third party ITSM tools via REST interface.

• 5. Re: Install/use Atrium Core only
                  Jason Miller

A use case I had in the past was an organization purchased BMC Discovery but was moving from ITSM to home grown Remedy applications. They still had a need to use the Discovery data in the custom system. At that time Discovery (ADDM) did not have as many integration options other than with CMDB, which is a very solid integration So we were going to have an AR + CMDB server for Discovery to work with, utilize normalization and reconciliation in CMDB, and we were then going to integrate our custom application with CMDB to pull in the data.

They ended up dropping Discovery so we never built it, but that was the plan.

• 6. Re: Install/use Atrium Core only
                    Anne Brock

I was about to say that I've seen this use case with Discovery - people want the power of the Atrium CMDB, so they install ar and the CMDB and integrate discovery to it, but they don't want the apps.

• 7. Re: Install/use Atrium Core only
                      Anne Brock

Robert Radwanski wrote:

Hello Sidhesh,

no, it is not an interview question

One of customers asked me this question. He's already using some third party tools for managing ITSM processes (IncM + basic ChM) and now he's looking for a CMDB solution.

I'm not sure you can purchase just the CMDB. So I'd recommend getting some Asset Management licenses (think they are called Service Optimization these days - include Asset and Change). Then you can install Asset Mgmt on top of the CMDB and get some of its functionalities. There are things I like doing in the Asset Console that I don't like as well in the CMDB console. That also should get you access to Smart Reporting.

2 of 2 people found this helpful