9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2020 11:28 AM by Anne Brock

BMC Helix

Pratap Dalai
      Share This:

Hi All,

We are planning to upgrade to Helix from ARS 9.1  SP4 to BMC Helix latest Version:-

:- Does Helix provide all ITSM Applications?

:- We have done a lot of customization:-  What will be happened with the existing customization code , if we upgrade from non-helix ars to latest Helix

Thank You

• 1. Re: BMC Helix
          rodrigo barcat

Nothing happens with your overlaid objects, if you developed it on best practives mode.

• 2. Re: BMC Helix
            Stefan Hall

Helix is just a new marketing term and nothing special.  In your case it is still ITSM.

If you have used overlays for your customizing, they are preserved.  If not, they are gone unless they are new objects of their own.

• 3. Re: BMC Helix
              Anne Brock

If you are moving your on premise version to the latest on premise version (AR System 20.02, I believe) nothing changes. You don't get ITSM apps if you didn't have them before.

If you are moving an on premise system to the Helix ITSM hosted solution - your instance will probably have all the apps, but you'll only be able to access what you are licensed for.

The hosted solution does allow customizations; if that is the direction you are going, Here is the policy:

BMC Helix ITSM Customization policy - BMC Helix Subscriber Information - BMC Documentation

The term "Helix" generally refers to the cloud platform(s) that BMC hosts; so that's why I am a bit confused with your question - are you upgrading on prem but staying on prem or are you moving to Helix hosted platform?

• 4. Re: BMC Helix
                Stefan Hall

Anne,

initially Helix was used for the cloud/SaaS solution.  Now everything is Helix.

I didn't understand the marketing step either, but Peter explained it somewhere.  I think they wanted to create something modern

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: BMC Helix
                  Anne Brock

whoops, thanks, I must have missed that memo!

• 6. Re: BMC Helix
                    Jason Miller

Yeah, I was going to point that out too. BMC has really blurred the "Helix" line and made it more confusing than it needs to be.

• 7. Re: BMC Helix
                      Jason Miller

Anne Brock wrote:

If you are moving your on premise version to the latest on premise version (AR System 20.02, I believe) nothing changes. You don't get ITSM apps if you didn't have them before.

I am not sure I am following not getting the ITSM apps if you did not have them?

Hope my new 20.02 ITSM on-prem build that I am wrapping up is not "invalid" or "illegal"

• 8. Re: BMC Helix
                        Carl Wilson

Hi Jason,

I believe this is referring to if you are on an older licensing model you may not be licensed for all the ITSM applications as they were licensed individually, although they will be installed and available with the newer versions.

I had a conversation on the Helix rebranding last week with my current company to explain it, the thing I needed to point out is that it is all "Helix" now but not all applications are available as an on-premise offering with some being SaaS only - this is where BMC can do a better job of pointing this out to customers as it can be somewhat confusing to people.

Cheers

Carl

• 9. Re: BMC Helix
                          Anne Brock

You're all good, Jason!

but yes, customers with older licensing models who just have AR licenses don't have access to apps just because they upgrade... that's all I was trying to get across.