4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2020 2:08 AM by Dominik Kress

Dynamic Change in Transfer Windows and more.

Mark Bauer
      Share This:

We have set up a Transfer Window because of bandwidth issues due to the increased usage of our Internet Circuit.  Covid has forced us out of the offices and expanded our remote workforce.  I had a couple questions that I can't seem to find the answers too.  I am hoping that you all can help me out.

Does the Transfer Window dynamically adjust when going past the specific times in the window?

Is it possible to separate out speeds for software pushes from patches? Or have 2 windows that handle it differently for Software Pushes vs. Patching?

Can the threshold be set for specific days of the month or just days of the week?

Here is what we are running into and why i have these questions.  When deploying Patches it saturates our internet circuit.  So we instituted a Transfer Window.  We have it set up by the hours with the tightest window 6a-6p then relaxed after hours and weekends.  But our patching never finishes.  We have machines that spend the entire month trying to transfer patching or in another status waiting to install.  So we end up missing that months patches on some machines.  We are patching 4000 machines by patch group.

It is my understanding that BMC CM is dynamic enough to pick up where it left off.  If a machine changes network or shuts down and then connects to its home network, anything that was deploying or copying should pick back up where it left off.  This doesn't seem to be very resilient.  What I have seen is that it may take hours or days for this to occur, if it does.  Is there something that i am missing or not understanding?

How dynamic is the Transfer Window and machine agent?  Meaning at 6p the Transfer Window increases.  If a machine is transferring at the slower rate and 6p hits, does it automatically increase to the Window?  Or since it is transferring or started during the tightest window, it will remain at that speed?

We are also seeing this window affect the Software Deployment.  When a self service package is requested or software is pushed to a machine it uses the same window.  Can that be separated so patching uses the window but the software pushes don't?  I read that there can only be 1 transfer window assigned to a machine?

I only see the Transfer windows set up Daily and hourly.  Is there any other way to set the transfer windows.  Like monthly?  We send patches out the 4th week of the month to the workstations.  It would be great to set up the window to have a tighter restriction that day or week and then relax it the following days or weeks in that month's cycle.  Like at the end of the month to completely relax so the lingering machines can pick up patching.

Thanks for the insight and your time.

• 1. Re: Dynamic Change in Transfer Windows and more.
          Dominik Kress

Hi Mark Bauer,

A lot of questions. I'm trying to answer them as good as possible with the provided informations. Normally those questions should be easily answered by your Support partner.

Does the Transfer Window dynamically adjust when going past the specific times in the window?

Yes. The Agent does check the actually time vs transfer window. You'll see it at the agent log file when this happens.

Is it possible to separate out speeds for software pushes from patches? Or have 2 windows that handle it differently for Software Pushes vs. Patching?

No. The transfer window is either for port 1610 (normally data transfer which includes software packages and patches) or / and for port 1611 which will handle notifications and console traffic (plus some different things).

Can the threshold be set for specific days of the month or just days of the week?

Only days of the week,

I read that there can only be 1 transfer window assigned to a machine?

That is correct. If you have an emergency operational rule you could activate at the assignment properties that his OR for this assignment should ignore the transfer window.

We have it set up by the hours with the tightest window 6a-6p then relaxed after hours and weekends.  But our patching never finishes.

The target device / agent needs to download all patches from the patch job which are needed to be installed before the patch job will be started. This means if you have a poor connection and the agent needs to install 3 GB of patches and you do a daily update for your patch kb the patch job may never start.

You should check the configuration may only update the patch kb once a week or once a month. And also it could may make sense to deploy a specific amount of patches with a patch group before the patch job will take care of the devices.

Regards,

Dominik

• 2. Re: Dynamic Change in Transfer Windows and more.
            Mark Bauer

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Mark Bauer

CGI Federal IS-IT | Systems Support  | Systems Administrator

12601 Fair Lakes Cir. 6th Floor, 6N-008C.

Fairfax, Virginia 22033

Mark.Bauer@cgifederal.com<mailto:Mark.Bauer@cgifederal.com>

• 3. Re: Dynamic Change in Transfer Windows and more.
              Mark Bauer

I wanted to clarify the part below.  Where is the daily update for the patch KB set?  Is this on the client agent or on the master?  If we re doing a daily update for the patch Kb I would like to extend it and see if this helps.  Not sure that I am looking in the right places.  Thanks for your patience with these Noob questions.

The target device / agent needs to download all patches from the patch job which are needed to be installed before the patch job will be started. This means if you have a poor connection and the agent needs to install 3 GB of patches and you do a daily update for your patch kb the patch job may never start.

You should check the configuration may only update the patch kb once a week or once a month. And also it could may make sense to deploy a specific amount of patches with a patch group before the patch job will take care of the devices.

• 4. Re: Dynamic Change in Transfer Windows and more.
                Dominik Kress

Hi,

it is set at the Patch Management -> Patch Manager -> Configuration 2020-07-10_09-06-53.png

Default value is everyday at 23 / 11pm.