2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2020 8:57 AM by bout boutayeb

Best practice for rolling out Office 365 click & run updates

IT NOVASEP
      Share This:

Bonjour,

Pouvez-me vous me dire quelle est la bonne pratique de déploiement de mise à jour pour le pack office 365, en réseau local avec outils BMC ?

Actuellement BMC Client Management 12.9, récupère une liste de patch pour tout les pack office (2010,2013,2016 etc..) et cela prend énormément de stockage.

Ma question est :

- Est ce que c'est possible de ciblé seulement le pack O365 ?

- Est t-il possible de faire une mise à jour O365 en ajoutant un fichier XML de patch qui pointe vers mon dossier Office 365\Office\Data\16.0.????.????

et ainsi faire une mise à jour de la .cab en script ?

En vous remerciant,

Charles VALLIER

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello,

Can you tell me what is the best practice for deploying updates for the Office 365 pack, in a local network with BMC tools?

Currently BMC Client Management 12.9, retrieves a patch list for all office packs (2010,2013,2016 etc.) and it takes a lot of storage.

My question is :

- Is it possible to target only the O365 pack?

- Is it possible to update O365 by adding an XML patch file which points to my Office 365 \ Office \ Data \ 16.0 folder. ????. ???? and thus make an update of the .cab in script?

Thanking you,

Charles VALLIER

• 1. Re: Best practice for rolling out Office 365 click & run updates
          Philipp Ernicke

Hi Charles,

Patch management currently addresses all office packages, so you can't change anything. But BCM only download what the assigned devices report as need. So if you create a PatchJob that contains "Office" and only assigns this job to devices that have Office 365 installed, then only Office 365 Patches will be downloaded. BCM only download it because the devices also request it.

The installation folder is otherwise irrelevant to patch management. You wouldn't have to specify that if you update Office by hand (especially since this is not even possible with Office 365).

Otherwise, you could still use patch groups because you can choose which patch you want to deploy. You would then select only the Monthly Update and nothing else.

The third variant would be to distribute the patches via software deployment.

Kind Regards,
          Philipp
          • 2. Re: Best practice for rolling out Office 365 click & run updates
            bout boutayeb

Hi Philipp,

Charles is looking for applying the Office updates from a local repository (eg : relay or master).

i found this in the KB :https://bmcsites.force.com/casemgmt/sc_KnowledgeArticle?sfdcid=kA33n000000Xg8CCAS&type=FAQ

The noop.exe file is a Microsoft file that they release to be used with 3rd party patching solutions for ex. BCM .

When run against Office 365 or Office Click-to-Run versions, the noop is calling the clicktorunupdate DLL which then ultimately kicks in the updates to reach out directly within the Office application to Microsoft and pull down the necessary updates.

Once the updates are downloaded, they are then installed using the built in Office update components.

After the update is installed successfully, it will report back its status to the noop.exe file and that's the status you'll ultimately see in the deployment tracker.

The endpoints reach out directly whit the Microsfot servers, Is there any solution to force the endpoints to connect the update path in the xml config file ?

Thanks for your help.

Bout.