6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2020 9:15 AM by Chris Troyer

Email reminder for Incidents after 10 days with no updates

Chris Troyer
      Share This:

Hello all,

I am looking to set up an email reminder which will go to an Incident owner if a record goes 10 days without an update. Ideally I would like that to be business days specifically. When a record is updated I would like it to 'reset the clock', meaning it would cancel the prior wait period and start a new one.

Before I delve into process builder and custom flows I thought I would see if there is any native functionality in Remedyforce for this, but I haven't found anything in my community searches thus far. Anyone familiar with this functionality? Has anyone set something like this up before and would have pointers on what to avoid?

Thank you for your insights!

• 1. Re: Email reminder for Incidents after 10 days with no updates
          Amit Jaiswal

Hi Chris,

You can use schedule time based actions in Process Builder or use a Time Based work flow Help | Training | Salesforce

This blog can be a good reference: https://automationchampion.com/2015/02/16/getting-started-with-process-builder-part-2-time-dependent-actions/

Your use case can possibly be covered by having a criteria with a combination of State != FALSE (not yet closed) AND Last Modified Date - Now > 10 days

In the Remedyforce the native alert is for SLA Target Milestones. You should use one of the time based workflow or process builder to achieve your goal.

Thanks

Amit

• 2. Re: Email reminder for Incidents after 10 days with no updates
            Chris Troyer

Hi Amit,

Thank you for your quick reply and confirming there are no native options aside from SLA Target Milestones. Once we finish defining our SLAs we will look to use those as well.

Time dependent actions in Process Builder appear to only be available when dealing with newly created records; if you select "when a record is created or edited" you do not have the option for a time-based action. Same story with Workflows, if you select 'evaluate the rule when a record is created, and every time it is edited' it tells you "You cannot add time-dependent workflow actions with this option."

What I am is struggling with is how to trigger this action. I figured I would have to start it anytime an open record is updated then send the email after 10 days if it is still open and Last Modified Date - Now > 10 days at that point. But that won't work considering time-based actions are only available for new records. There doesn't seem to be a way to trigger an action when a certain duration has been reached.

I haven't had any luck on the Salesforce forums either. This post talks about having to use a batch job to send them out and this person echoes my feelings exactly.

• 3. Re: Email reminder for Incidents after 10 days with no updates
              Amit Jaiswal

Hi Chris,

For the workflows, you have to select this option: Evaluate the rule when a record is: created, and any time it’s edited to subsequently meet criteria

Help | Training | Salesforce

This should allow for Time based trigger.

Thanks

Amit

• 4. Re: Email reminder for Incidents after 10 days with no updates
                Chris Troyer

Hi Amit,

While that option does allow for time based triggers I do not think it will work for this particular scenario. That setting triggers the workflow rule to run only when a record is edited to meet the criteria, meaning it will only happen once if my criteria is State Open = True. It would run and send the email the first time a record went 10 days without being modified, but it would never trigger again on that record unless the State Open field changed to False and then back to True.

I can't set my Rule Criteria to State Open = True and Last Modified Date - Now > 10 days because the rule is evaluated when the record is edited, and when the record is edited the Last Modified Date would have just changed and therefore it would not meet the criteria and the rule would never run.

Furthermore, there is no option to set a criteria on the time-based workflow action to re-evaluate the Incident before sending the email to determine whether or not it still has not been updated. This would mean the email would be sent at 10 days regardless of whether or not someone modified the record.

Perhaps this simply isn't possible in Salesforce without running a batch query to locate all records which are more than 10 days past Last Modified and running a job against them. Thank you for helping me talk through it and look at it from different angles.

• 5. Re: Email reminder for Incidents after 10 days with no updates
                  Amit Jaiswal

Hi Chris,

I agree with you. Handling recursive reminders can be tricky using time trigger actions. A scheduled job which periodically checks for the alert condition and sets a check box field as a toggle button (if true, set to false or if false, set to true) to trigger an update event which can be watched by a regular workflow which is responsible for sending an email alert.

This gives a good skeleton for that apex job: Batch script to schedule daily batch job for reminder emails - Salesforce Developer Community

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Email reminder for Incidents after 10 days with no updates
                    Chris Troyer

Thank you for the link, Amit. I do not have much experience with Apex so I am not ready to tackle this yet but it may be something we do down the road. In the meantime we will focus on using SLA milestones and creating a highly visible report showing how many records are more than 10 days since last modified.

Thank you for all your help.