3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2020 1:58 PM by Sinisa Mikor

Creating Incident SLAs with Business Hours and Holidays

MARTY KOVACS
      Share This:

Hello BMC community.  I'm trying to create 3 SLAs based on Incident Priorities (Low, Medium and High).  I can successfully create these 3 SLAs, but they are not calculating based on business hours or holidays.  They are currently calculating 24/7, which includes all hours, all days.  I did set business hours for the 4 helpdesk support teams that these SLAs are meant for (Application Administration Console -> Custom Configuration Tab -> Foundation -> Organizational Structures -> Support Groups).  Do I need to create an "Agreement" too?

AR System Server v18.08

I bet there is documentation on this somewhere, but I've spent several hours reading through BMC documentation, and I really wish there was a quick start guide somewhere out there on how to create an SLA.  I'm sure I'm not looking in the right place.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Creating Incident SLAs with Business Hours and Holidays
          Sinisa Mikor

Hello Marty,

definition of Service Target (form's name is SLM:ServiceTarget, can also be accessed from Service Level Management Console -- either by clicking on Applications ==> Service Level Management ==> Service Level Management Console, or by directly accessing form SLM:Console) includes associated Business Entity (tab <Goal and Cost>, under Business Schedules) used to determine what should be considered as business hours in context of particular SLA.

Documentation for BMC Service Level Management 18.08 is available at https://docs.bmc.com/docs/slm1808/home-821937226.html .

• 2. Re: Creating Incident SLAs with Business Hours and Holidays
            MARTY KOVACS

This is now solved.  I'd like to share what our resolution was.  Since we already built the SLAs (the issue was that they were calculating 24/7), all we needed to do was: 

1.  Create a Business Time Entity

2.  Create Business Time Segments.  In our case, we had 4 segments:  Available Mon-Fri 9am-5pm, Unavailable Daily 12am-9am, Unavailable Daily 5pm-11:59pm, and Unavailable Sat-Sun 9am-5pm.

3.  Relate the time segments created in #2

• 3. Re: Creating Incident SLAs with Business Hours and Holidays
              Sinisa Mikor

If there were any incidents using those service targets before Business Entity was set, they may need update of any one of attributes used in Terms and Conditions -- first an update to some value not used for that (or any) service target in order to detach them, then an update to previous value in order to reattach modified service targets -- to have Business Entity applied to measurements. (This should be undertaken carefully because service target can be set up either to include previous state, or to start from scratch.)