7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2020 9:32 PM by Laurent Matheo

How to achive Multiple Date Selection in Calendar in Views of Innovation Studio ?

Rishi Vasudeva
      Share This:

Hi,

Use Case:

I am creating one view having date field from where user can select multiple dates from one calendar

Requirement:

So, anyone can help me how we can achieve this multiple date selection using one calendar field in views of Innovation studio.....

Thanks,

Rishi

• 1. Re: How to achive Multiple Date Selection in Calendar in Views of Innovation Studio ?
          Laurent Matheo

Hi

This is not possible OOTB as one date field can hold only one date.

In your case would you have two dates fields I suppose to store the start and end dates?

• 2. Re: How to achive Multiple Date Selection in Calendar in Views of Innovation Studio ?
            Rishi Vasudeva

Hi Laurent,

Thanks for your reply.

But i have a use case in which i have to select max of 14-16 multiple dates in between three months of period .

So, how can i achieve that ?

• 3. Re: How to achive Multiple Date Selection in Calendar in Views of Innovation Studio ?
              Sinisa Mikor

Hi Rishi,

if instead of developing new ones, you wish to use existing (visual) elements, some of it could by achieved by "cheating" -- here are some basic ideas (additional workflow would have to control them dynamically and process collected data, of course):

1. replace calendar with dynamically renamed checkboxes -- user would have to click to pick each date
              2. replace calendar with cell-based table -- while not perfect, selection of multiple dates would be easier than when checkboxes are used
              3. use layered transparent calendars -- each month would have to have one layer for each day, and when date was picked from it, if that date wasn't picked already, current layer would have to be pushed back and its non-selected dates made invisible (or only the background calendar would visibily display all dates from the start, while all layers on top of it would only visibly display selected date); otherwise, date would have to be deselected in both layers (again, as many clicks as if checkboxes were used would be necessary to select multiple dates, but calendars would look like calendars)
              • 4. Re: How to achive Multiple Date Selection in Calendar in Views of Innovation Studio ?
                Laurent Matheo

Sinisa Mikor, I am not sure to follow what you are suggesting, are you talking about Innovation Studio?

Rishi Vasudeva, like I said we do not have this functionality OOTB.

If you want to stay OOTB I guess you would have to have multiple date fields (but if you don't know the number that would be a problem) or store the different dates in a record definition and add date by date / see the list in a grid or in a list.

So for example let's say you want to have a list of PTO for a user, you could have a User record definition, a PTO record definition and an Association between the User and the PTO(s) (One User can have multiple PTO(s)).

Then you could have a view where you select a start date / end date and a process would generate the PTOs between both dates, creating the records in PTOs and associating them to the User.

Then you would have a view that would display, for a given User, his / her Ptos.

Granted, it would not be "visual" in a Calendar view.

If you really want to select / display the dates in a calendar view, you would have to create your own view component using an AngularJs calendar that supports this feature.

We are using internally the bootstrap datepicker and  (gm.datepickerMultiSelect) so maybe you can try to use them?

Angular directives for Bootstrap

GitHub - spongessuck/gm.datepickerMultiSelect: AngularJS module to extend UI Bootstrap's Datepicker directive to allow f…

It seems we already bundle them in our standardlib so you might be able to actually just leverage them.

• 5. Re: How to achive Multiple Date Selection in Calendar in Views of Innovation Studio ?
                  Sinisa Mikor

Laurent Matheo My suggestions to (mis)use what is already available in order to achieve an approximation of stated requirement without creating dedicated view component (either because the latter part is beyond some developer's skill or impossible to achieve with specific tool) were generic rather than focused strictly on Innovation Studio (e. g. most AR System developers could implement those ideas without too much trouble, but much fewer would be able to create an actual multi-select calendar view component), though (unless I am mistaken) they should be applicable.  (At that time, you've already informed Rishi that only one date can be selected at the time and were asking about need for start and end date, but my interpretation of illustrations was that user should be able to pick specific dates, as well as intervals).

• 6. Re: How to achive Multiple Date Selection in Calendar in Views of Innovation Studio ?
                    Laurent Matheo

I am totally fine with (mis)using the existing capabilities to fit the requirements without writing code, but it needs to be based on what the platform provides.

Since here it is not AR System but Innovation Studio the capabilities are not the same so when you talked about cell based tables / layered transparent calendars / checkboxes (to emulate the days_ etc... it did not seem obvious that was doable in Innovation Studio.

Hence I was curious to know for what platform your proposal was. So it seems it is for AR System.

• 7. Re: How to achive Multiple Date Selection in Calendar in Views of Innovation Studio ?
                      Laurent Matheo

So yes, I suppose I could do a "calendar" in ARS with some display only form and active links, but how many objects overall would that require?

I mean, at some point you have to compare what you can do but you have to jump ropes to make something work "without code" and if some code can help you simplify your process.

I mean, I had some cases in ARS where I could just write a whole workflow with tons of filters and filter guides, or with 10 lines of Java code and integrate it in ARS.

Sometimes you have to get the best of both world.

Jumping to custom code should never be the first solution and there might be an OOTB solution, but when it strays your business process too far or makes it way more complex I guess that is where the integration capabilities of the platform should come into play.

Of course it also depends if you are on premise or on Cloud and your offering.