3 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2020 8:58 AM by Bill Robinson

quickest way to group agents based on version under a static server group

Parag Desai
      Share This:

BSA 8903

I have a static server group containing around 150 targets (not controlled by any server property). I need to create sub groups based on the agent versions as my deploy job is asset class version specific.

I tried the below; however, it fails

#!/bin/nsh

GROUP="/Parent/staticgroup"

blcli_execute Server listServersInGroup $GROUP

blcli_storeenv SERVER_LIST

for serverName in $SERVER_LIST

do

blcli_execute Server getFullyResolvedPropertyValue "$serverName" "AGENT_MINOR_VERSION*"

blcli_storeenv MinorV

if [ "$MinorV -eq "9" ]; then

SERVER_GROUP="/Workspace/capam89"

elsif [ "$MinorV -eq "7" ];

SERVER_GROUP="/Workspace/capam87"

else

SERVER_GROUP="/Workspace/capam8x"

fi

blcli_execute ServerGroup  groupNameToId $SERVER_GROUP

blcli_storeenv SERVER_GROUP_ID

blcli_execute StaticServerGroup addServerToServerGroupByName $SERVER_GROUP_ID $serverName

done

Command execution failed. com.bladelogic.om.infra.session.client.SessionLoginException: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Cannot decode a string of length '29' since it is not a multiple of 64

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Exception: Error connecting to server -<jobserver>. Please check if BLCIServerService is up and running correctly. Error was Connection reset

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.cli.CLIClient.executeEmbeddedShellCommand(CLIClient.java:276)

Is there no blcli to Assign Server instead of Add? I think this adding is causing issue as the servers are already registered in BSA.

Please suggest.

Thanks,

Parag

• 1. Re: quickest way to group agents based on version under a static server group
          Bill Robinson

i don't think the problem is w/ your command, it's w/ the input.  i'd cleanup the script a bit and at least echo out what server/group/id you are trying to use to make sure the input is ok.

#!/bin/nsh

GROUP="/Parent/staticgroup"

blcli_execute Server listServersInGroup "${GROUP}"

blcli_storeenv SERVER_LIST

while read serverName

do

blcli_execute Server getFullyResolvedPropertyValue "$serverName" 'AGENT_MINOR_VERSION*

blcli_storeenv MinorV

if [[ "${MinorV} -eq "9" ]; then

SERVER_GROUP="/Workspace/capam89"

elsif [ "${MinorV} -eq "7" ]; then

SERVER_GROUP="/Workspace/capam87"

else

SERVER_GROUP="/Workspace/capam8x"

fi

blcli_execute ServerGroup  groupNameToId "${SERVER_GROUP}"

blcli_storeenv SERVER_GROUP_ID

echo "Assigning ${serverName} to ${SERVER_GROUP}:${SERVER_GROUP_ID}"

blcli_execute StaticServerGroup addServerToServerGroupByName ${SERVER_GROUP_ID} "${serverName}"

done <<< "$(awk 'NF' <<< "${SERVER_LIST}")"

and what version of tssa is this ?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: quickest way to group agents based on version under a static server group
            Parag Desai

Thanks a lot Bill. It worked after making the above changes. By the way this is TSSA 8903.

• 3. Re: quickest way to group agents based on version under a static server group
              Bill Robinson

i believe one cause of that error w/ the blcli server enabled was due to either passing a windows eol character or a multiple line input to a command that wasn't expecting it, which is why i was betting it was the input.