4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2020 2:04 PM by Steve Gibbs

Pidgin not registering in Software Inventory or Security Products??

Steve Gibbs
      Share This:

I have a customer that asked why is Pidgin not showing in Software Inventory? I was and still am not able to answer that question. I ran a WMI query to see if it was registered in "Products and Features", it is not...  I then installed Pidgin on MY laptop to further troubleshoot this morning.

Download (Do not click as it will auto download): https://sourceforge.net/projects/pidgin/files/Pidgin/2.13.0/pidgin-2.13.0.exe/download?accel_key=62%3Aa4c0d8b6-1952-11e9…

Installation Directory (Default): C:\Program Files (x86)\Pidgin

I did not find any reason why the Software Inventory Filter would REJECT this unless I am missing something.

This is an instant Messaging application so I looked under Security Products (Compliance Module Required):

I had to manually force an update to Security Products for this to show up here and did not get populated when I ran an Audit Now from the inventory page of my laptop.

Pidgin also showed up under Software > Products (Compliance Module Required) BUT it has the wrong version...  this shows 2.10 vs. what I installed, 2.13...  hmmm.

So why is Pidgin being rejected for normal software inventory? Anyone have any ideas or already figured this out?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

• 1. Re: Pidgin not registering in Software Inventory or Security Products??
          Fabien Carmagnolle

Hi,

Audit Now button only request default inventories (these related to the Inventory license) : Hardware, Software and Security Settings.

Security Products is related to Compliance feature and is not member of default inventories.

I installed Pidgin from your link ,then performed Software Inventory, Pidgin is detected but rejected per default filter :

2020/06/26 04:33:52 SoftwareInventory                D   [2112]  Adding Add/Remove Program 'Pidgin'

2020/06/26 04:35:07 SoftwareInventory                I   [2112]  Application 'Pidgin Installer' has been rejected by filter 'Remove bad names 1'

2020/06/26 04:35:07 SoftwareInventory                I   [2112]  Application 'Pidgin' has been rejected by filter 'Remove bad names 1'

Here is the filter :

<!-- Some strange/common names which come up all the time and we can get rid of them. -->

<TRANSLATESW label="Remove bad names 1">

<MATCHSW><NAME value="regex">(bnts)|(PID)|(RegWizExe)|(COM Services)|(SelfCert)|(^Generic$)|(migsr1)|(imgstart)|( stub)|(RunOnce)|(RegWizCtrl)|(UpWizUn)|(Thunk)|(ErrBox)|(HTML Help)</NAME></MATCHSW>

<ACTION>Reject</ACTION>

</TRANSLATESW>

You can either remove or modify this filter or create dedicated filter (in filter Definition section) to define Pidgin software.

Regards

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Pidgin not registering in Software Inventory or Security Products??
            Steve Gibbs

Fabien Carmagnolle,

If I create a filter below the Bad Names filter will it still see Pidgin or has it already been "Removed" because it was rejected? I will give it a test run to add entry below but thought I would ask you for further clarification.

Thanks for the answer...  Explains what I needed to know!

Steve G.

• 3. Re: Pidgin not registering in Software Inventory or Security Products??
              Fabien Carmagnolle

Hi Steve,

Your new filter that accept Pidgin must be above the filter that reject it. If not Pigdin is first rejected so new filter can not create Pidgin entry because there is no more 'accepted' data  related to Pidgin.

Regards

• 4. Re: Pidgin not registering in Software Inventory or Security Products??
                Steve Gibbs

Fabien,

I MODIFIED the BAD NAMES 1 Cleaning filter and that fixed the issue.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.