5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2020 5:46 PM by Mike West

TSCO license counting from Auditing Managed Servers report

IBM OMEGA CAPACITY MANAGEMENT ES
      Share This:

Hello people!

I am looking the Auditing Managed Servers report from TSCO, and I don't understand which value is taked in order to get the license accounting.

I have two candidates values, but I am not sure which is the valid.

Could you help me?

The values of the report are:

- Overall number of managed servers

- Overall number of managed servers - distinct by name

Which one is the value that I need to consider?

Thanks in advance.

Hope you are doing well.

• 1. Re: TSCO license counting from Auditing Managed Servers report
          Dima Seliverstov

Overall number of managed servers - distinct by name

Duplicates from multiple ETLs are reduced. You only get charged for a single entities regardless of how many ETLs populate the data for the entity.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: TSCO license counting from Auditing Managed Servers report
            Ben Davies

To clarify the question a bit.

This is the report that is being asked about.   Many others in this same area.  Worth taking a look about.

Probably in your TSCO application tree | Click Works | Add | Add Report

Next | Advanced Report | Next | Select Diagnostic then 'Auditing - Managed Servers | next

Take the defaults | Next  | Finish.

Run the report

Open the Excel sheet.  Sheet1 is the result that prompted the question.

• 3. Re: TSCO license counting from Auditing Managed Servers report
              Mike West

Ben

The first sheet might be different for each various releases.  Below is an example from 11.5.01 w/ latest patches.  The column labeled Number of managed servers - distinct by name is expected to match the total licenses after removing duplicates.

In some earlier versions, this was reported as a single row at the end of the table with the row labeled Number of managed servers - distinct by name.

If you back to 10.x releases distinct by name information is only present with the latest CHF for each release.

Regards,

Mike West

Servers Count Summary at April 2, 2020 16:07:59
              Product nameNumber of managed serversNumber of managed servers - distinct by name
              TrueSight Capacity Optimizer for Servers332098225519
              TrueSight Capacity Optimizer for Servers [Capacity Agents]1098908
              • 4. Re: TSCO license counting from Auditing Managed Servers report
                Ben Davies

My Favorite Mr. Mike West,

Yes I stand corrected.

Still the navigation to those reports are not well known and sometimes helpful. 

And my, what a large environment you have!  

Is 47% of the environment (33k/22k) a typical delta between managed servers and distinct by name managed servers?

While my counts are much smaller, our environment has a 40% delta.

• 5. Re: TSCO license counting from Auditing Managed Servers report
                  Mike West

Ben

Thanks for sharing the navigation to create the reports.  The report is useful and can be overlooked in the documentation.

In more recent releases, 11.3.xx+, we added the detailed data from that report to the Administration | Maintenance | License Tracking utility so that the details are now present with the official report.  There is also a summary report provided by the utility that is now in a human readable format.

The delta between the managed servers and distinct by name is interesting topic and from what I have seen it varies in range.  Usually, I see the delta in the less than 20% range.  For the numbers I presented, the environment is similar to a performance and scale testing environment and has duplicates because we are not sharing catalogs and we are trying to simulate heavy load conditions treating each record as a separate entity regardless of the name.

Regards,

Michael D. West