4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2020 9:04 AM by jodie Scherer

Is it possible to upgrade v11.1.0 to 11.6.11.000 without doing an incremental upgrade?

jodie Scherer
      Share This:

Current Windows server 2008r2 for DB and Application

Current Footprints Version 11.1.0

Documentation supports 11.6.11.000 is compatible with Windows server 2008r2 and Windows Server 2016.

The question I have is can we go from v11.1.0 to 11.6.11.000 without doing an incremental upgrade? If not, what process would we use?

Application Server and DB SQL server would be Windows Server 2008r2 and then the plan would be to Migrate v11.6.11.000 to Windows Server 2016 after the upgrade is tested.

• 1. Re: Is it possible to upgrade v11.1.0 to 11.6.11.000 without doing an incremental upgrade?
          Romuald Bois

Hi,

Over the years, there have had several major changes in the product files as well as in the database structure.

The 11.6.11 upgrade installer should take the upgrade straight from your current 11.X version to the most recent one.

However, I prefer being careful and I'd recomment some steps in between :

1 - Upgrade from 11.1.0 to 11.5

2 - Upgrade from 11.5 to 11.6.10.002 (last iteration of Tomcat 8 + Oracle JAVA supported version)

3 - Upgrade from 11.6.10.002 to 11.6.11

The third one is where you will change from Tomcat 8 to Tomcat 9, and also change from Oracle JAVA support to OpenJDK

Of course, before each upgrade you have to take a full backup of the database AND the Footprints folder from the application server.

Keep in mind that the files version must be aligned with the database one if you need to rollback at some point...

It is also highly recommended to test the upgrade on a test system before going into production.

• 2. Re: Is it possible to upgrade v11.1.0 to 11.6.11.000 without doing an incremental upgrade?
            jodie Scherer

Hi Romuald,

I am curious why you suggest going to (Step 1) V11.5 and then to (Step 2)

v11.6.11 vs. right to V11.6.11? Is there a reason system wise?

When I log into BMC support for our client, the needed version V11.5 is not

available for this clients available downloads, the oldest is V11.6.11  BMC

Support told me it would work to go from 11.1 directly to V11.6.11.

We just really want to get this right,

Thank you for all your input,

Jodie Scherer

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 8:00 AM Romuald Bois <communities_update@bmc.com>

• 3. Re: Is it possible to upgrade v11.1.0 to 11.6.11.000 without doing an incremental upgrade?
              Romuald Bois

Hi Jodie,

In version 11.5 there were significant changes to the database structure, which were then present in later versions as well, but the first real transformation would occur in version 11.5

It is a matter of being cautious...

Then I'd have a step to 11.6.10.002 because this version, like the previous ones, was still using the older Tomcat 7 / 8 for the executive dashboard part, and ORACLE JAVA.

Then only comes 11.6.10.002 > 11.6.11, because the version upgrade also implies changing Tomcat version AND move to OpenJDK

I would not recommend anyone to apply several major changed all at once, and experience has tought that this multiplies the potential sources of problems.

Perhaps I'm too cautious here, but when we handle end-customers data I prefer being extra careful and validate that all is OK before I proceed further with more changes.

This said, and as I mentionned earlier, the upgrade from 11.1 to 11.6.11 should be working...

As per the footprints source files for 11.5.0 and others, we still have them available in Support, and if you open a case and asking for a specific version, we should be able to provide it to you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Is it possible to upgrade v11.1.0 to 11.6.11.000 without doing an incremental upgrade?
                jodie Scherer

Thank you for explaining Romauld. This is very much in line with our thinking. We would rather error on the side of caution.

Jodie