1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2020 4:21 AM by Carl Wilson

How can I get an SRD to email a notification after submission?

ronald greer
      Share This:

Honestly, the web docs are not helpful for me when trying to achieve a straightforward goal like submitting a request. That probably sounds naive to experienced programmers but I don't have that level of experience.

My best advance so far has been using the Calbro example for ITSM password reset to understand what to configure to get the request moving through the ARS. Finally, I got help on getting the assignments working right to get my sample SRD to "in Progress", now my next hurdle is getting a notification to go out to the tech when the request is submitted.

But again this product stymies me on it's logic, I'm expecting somewhere to simply associate the support group to the SRD but it looks like it's not that simple and I have to make a process and rule(???).

I'm feeling like our company really over bought for our need in getting the whole ITSM and it's difficult to discern the right parts to configure. I'm keep running into a lot of descriptions about using Approval Administration Consoles' Process and Rules like here:

AP:Process Definition form - Documentation for Remedy Action Request System 9.1 - BMC Documentation

I'm going on 6 months of trying to understand this but it just seems to get more and more complicated.

• 1. Re: How can I get an SRD to email a notification after submission?
          Carl Wilson

Hi Ronald,

a couple of questions to help understand what you are attempting to achieve:

1. Are you looking at notifications of when the Request is submitted, to the Requested For/Requested By?
          2. Are you looking at a notification to the Assigned Group of the fulfilment process?

Both are separate applications with separate configurations, so just trying to understand what the ask is.

Cheers

Carl

3 of 3 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How can I get an SRD to email a notification after submission?
            Sinisa Mikor

If I understand you correctly, you wish to inform specific person (assignee of fulfillment process, or as you call them "tech") when Service Request is submitted.

Is fulfillment process being assigned to support group or member of support group?  The former can be achieved via mapping responses from request to target data in fulfillment application, or via assignment rule defined in CFG:Assignment, or via fulfillment application's template (in that order); in case fulfillment application isn't configured to use assignment engine (e. g. Assignment Process used to assign incidents is defined in HPD:CFG-Rules), assignee field should remain blank and unless group notifications are disabled (Disable Group Notifications in CTM:Support Group is set to "Yes"), assignment notification should be sent to group email according to settings of appropriate message (whether it, or its localized variant, is active for particular, or for any company) in SYS:Notification Messages (see https://docs.bmc.com/docs/itsm1908/bmc-remedy-itsm-notification-events-877692493.html  for explanations of messages for fulfillment application, https://docs.bmc.com/docs/srm1908/bmc-service-request-management-notification-events-866347431.html  for explanations of messages for Service Request Management).  The latter case also requires that assignee has Notification Availability in CTM:Person set to "Yes", as well as Default Notify Mechanism  in User set to Email.

P. S.  You may also check if Notify Assignee on Assignment (click on Options in sidebar of SRS:ServiceRequestDesigner, then move to next page -- it should be Notifications) was selected in your SRD.

• 3. Re: How can I get an SRD to email a notification after submission?
              Jason Miller

It sounds like you are just getting acquainted with Remedy and ITSM. We were all in your shoes at one point (TBH I completely hated Remedy when I first started using it, now I love it). Please forgive me if I am telling anything you already know, I just want to make sure we are not skipping any Remedy/ITSM theory here.

Stepping back a little bit, you mentioned the SRD but nothing about the fulfillment request. Do you have everything setup to create a fulfillment request?

SRM, while it does have some assignment capabilities, is not really meant to be "worked" directly. The SRM:Request is used as a customer-facing interface to the fulfillment request that Support Staff will work with. There are a number of design considerations baked into the SRM module. A few of the main things are:

1. The SRM:Request is meant to hide some of the messiness of IT from the customer. Incident. Change, Work Order, Release all have their own various statuses that are specific to their ITIL processes and the SRM:Request status is one consistent, high-level status for the customer to reference. It is the SRM:Request status that customer sees in the Request Entry Console.
              2. A single SRM request may involve multiple IT process and create multiple fulfillment request to different Support Groups. With the SRM:Request being the customer-facing info, it is designed to mask that a request to on-board a new employee may have created 3 Change Request, 4 Work Orders and 1 Incident (for example). In the example of multiple Change Request (CRQ), Work Orders (WO) and Incidents (INC) it could be that a CRQ went to the team that manages AD network accounts, a CRQ went to the DBA team to setup a DB account that is used to access the employee self-service team, and a CRQ went to the network team to enable the RJ-45 jack in the new person's office. Also WO's were created for facilities to make keys, move furniture for the new employee's office, and also WO to have the their parking sticker printed and also have their snail mail inbox setup in the mail room. Additionally and incident was sent to the Service Desk to setup a print queue for the person's new printer. The thought is the customer doesn't care about all of the individual request worked in order to "fulfill" their request, they just care that they submitted it and that it gets completed.
              3. Regarding notifications, the customer should not receive a submission and completion email for each of the requests I mentioned in #2. They should only receive a single submission email and a single completion email from the SRM:Request.

Those are a few of the major point regarding how SRM is designed to work.

So back to your question about notifying the tech. Based on what I laid out above, it would the the fulfillment request that would trigger the notification to a tech and not the SRM:Request (SRD). The beauty of SRM and the way it is integrated into ITSM is the different parts of ITSM (INC, CRQ, WO) still perform their functions such as notifications, SLA alerts, assignments, etc. and SRM rolls up a summary (and the customer/requester emails) for the end user.

And all this is why I asked if you are creating a fulfillment request. If no fulfillment request is being created, then ITSM is not doing it job for the Support Staff, which in this case would be to notify the assigned group/person.

You may have found that the SRM:Request can be assigned to a group/person but it is not meant to be worked in a fulfillment capacity. The SRM:Request assignments are really more for oversight of the process where a "business manager" can track requests and make sure they are being fulfilled appropriately and in a timely manner.

• 4. Re: How can I get an SRD to email a notification after submission?
                Anne Brock

I'd be curious if your company is using an implementation partner? if not, did they send you to training?

Remedy is not a system you just pick up and start to use; it's awesome, but knowing where the pieces are parts are is important. Do you have your email integration set up, for example?

And Jason's post covers a lot - but again, without training or an implementation partner, you can waste time figuring out how to get an incident or work order created from the SRD so that you can send the notification.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How can I get an SRD to email a notification after submission?
                  ronald greer

Hi Anne, Thanks and no they didn't send me to any training so that's why it's taken me until now to at least be able to ask semi intelligent questions about it. Jason has been a real gold mine of help.

• 6. Re: How can I get an SRD to email a notification after submission?
                    ronald greer

Hi Carl, I'm looking to send notification to the assigned group but it may also be to an individual in the support group. Mostly I'm trying to wrap my head around the process involved, I can see there are a lot of possibilities depending on the fulfillment app but mostly for this example, I'm using an incident as my first exercise in this configuration test.

• 7. Re: How can I get an SRD to email a notification after submission?
                      ronald greer

Hi Jason, This is kind of a continuation from the previous issue you helped me with. I have this example using Incident as the fulfillment and I and another test account are part of the support group. We both now see the incident in the INC console as well the overview console. I'm trying to do another ticket submission now so I can it fire off the email notification and that's where I get stuck on exactly where I enter or configure that information.

• 8. Re: How can I get an SRD to email a notification after submission?
                        Carl Wilson

Hi Ronald,

In that case, check the following configuration for the Notification Engine:

System Events and Message Catalog for the Notification Engine - Documentation for Remedy IT Service Management Suite 9.1…

There are a large number of configurable Notifications for Incident that you can enable/disable/customise (30+).

Each application has its own set of Notifications and configurations.

Assigned Group and Assignee Notifications are present OOB, you may need to switch the notification method from Alert to Email in the NTE:CFG:Notification form to get flowing.

Cheers

Carl

• 9. Re: How can I get an SRD to email a notification after submission?
                          ronald greer

Thanks Carl,

Can you help me with how I get to that form? I thought using this URL would be it but again I don't seem to have basics fully understood yet  http://(TEST SERVER):8080/arsys/NTE:CFG:Notification

vr--Ronn

• 10. Re: How can I get an SRD to email a notification after submission?
                            Jason Miller

Check this out for something that will help opening different back-end forms:  Using the Object List - Documentation for Remedy Action Request System 9.1 - BMC Documentation.  The documentation has the steps but just to mention it really quick, somebody needs to import a definition file and enable the Object List in the Mid Tier configuration before you can use the Object List.

Without the Object List, try: http://TestWebServer:8080/arsys/forms/TestAppServer/NTE:CFG:Notification Events

The format of a Mid Tier URL is: http://<midTierServer>/arsys/forms/<ARSystemServer>/<formName>

URLs for opening forms and applications - Documentation for Remedy Action Request System 9.1 - BMC Documentation

This is the cheating way to open the back-end form. Login to your Remedy system. If you haven't changed your default home page you will end up on the SHR:LandingConsole form (will show as SHR%3ALandingConsole in your browser address bar). Change SHR%3ALandingConsole to NTE:CFG:Notification Events in your browser's address bar and press enter.

Generally speaking, the out of the box ITSM / SRM emails should be a good starting point and Support Groups and Assignees on Incidents should already receive email notifications without any changes in NTE:CFG:Notifications Events

Are any emails being received from your Remedy system? I am wondering if your Email Engine is even configured (or maybe configured but not running)? See:   Configuring outgoing mailboxes - Documentation for Remedy Action Request System 9.1 - BMC Documentation

Another trick of the trade (assuming Delete Outgoing Notification Messages is not enabled for your outgoing mailbox) you can open the AR System Email Messages form and search for records, to view what would have been sent. You should be able to open the form at  http://TestWebServer:8080/arsys/forms/TestAppServer/AR System Email Messages.

• 11. Re: How can I get an SRD to email a notification after submission?
                              Jason Miller

Definitely look into taking some training and maybe a partner. There is a TON to know about AR System and ITSM. It has taken many of us years and years to piece it all together to the point where we can talk intelligently about it

• 12. Re: How can I get an SRD to email a notification after submission?
                                Jason Miller

Sounds like you are making progress. Which information are you looking to configure?

The CTM:People form is where your email addresses will be pulled from as members of the Support Group. Make sure that you and your test account have an email address specified in the People form.  Adding support staff - Documentation for Remedy IT Service Management Suite 9.1 - BMC Documentation

That is unless the Support Group is configured to use a single address or specific addresses (usually a distribution list). See the following for more information regarding configuring the Support Group addresses:  Adding group notification distribution lists - Documentation for Remedy IT Service Management Suite 9.1 - BMC Documentat…

I already touched on the Email Engine needing to be configured, as well as the out of the box notifications should already be sending you something when an Incident is assigned, so that configuration should be good to go.

• 13. Re: How can I get an SRD to email a notification after submission?
                                  ronald greer

Sorry, I'm banging my head again ....I can't find where the AR System Email Configuration form is or how to access it from the instructions.

vr--Ronn

• 14. Re: How can I get an SRD to email a notification after submission?
                                    Sinisa Mikor

The long way around is by pulling out Applications sidebar on SHR:Landing Console, hovering over AR System Administration, opening AR System Administrator Console; this should lead you to AR System Administration: Console/ARSystemConsole/ where you first need to select System, then Email from sidebar, and (links to) most forms dealing with configuration of email will be available there -- the one you're referring to is hidden behind Mailbox Configuration (AR System Email Mailbox Configuration).  The shortest way is by directly accessing form named at the end of last sentence, and if object list is available, searching for forms which contain email as part of their name or alias will display likely candidates.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                    1 2 Previous Next