5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2020 3:29 AM by Lionel ROCHA

Covid-19 impact on BCM DMZ Relay

Fabrice POLTORATZKY
      Share This:

Most of our customers use a DMZ relay to manage devices outside their corporate network. The new situation of the Covid-19 has an impact on the number of users connected to the DMZ relay... The risk of overloading the DMZ relay is obvious. I think about how to distribute client devices on several relays in DMZ. If someone has already set up an infra with several DMZ relays with distribution of customers between the relays, let us know?

• 1. Re: Covid-19 impact on BCM DMZ Relay
          Lionel ROCHA

For us, we know that is important to not have more than 800 clients on each dmz relay, application not support it with our configuration.

you create group from these query on each relay:

Select DeviceName from Devices where not Devices.DeviceName like 'NAME_OF_YOUR_RELAY' and CAST(DeviceID%X as CHAR(1))='Y' order by deviceid asc

With X = total relay +1,

and Y = 1 for relay1, Y=2 for relay2, etc....

Then, you create an opRule that change the relay configuration for each query (dynamic groups)

With that, you have a similar "load balancing" system.

• 2. Re: Covid-19 impact on BCM DMZ Relay
            Fabrice POLTORATZKY

I am not sure to well understand. What is %X in your query? Could you explain what this query is supposed to do?

• 3. Re: Covid-19 impact on BCM DMZ Relay
              Lionel ROCHA

1. created dynamic groups, as many groups as relays.

2. for each group, join an OR who set relay configuration on each clients.

3. Each group is populate by query (query who do load balancing, by mathematic rule => "%" modulo)

For exemple with 4 relay in DMZ:

1. 4 groups = "Goto Relay1", "Goto Relay2", "Goto Relay3", "Goto Relay4"

2. OR step who change parent relay

3. 4 query:

Select DeviceName from Devices where not Devices.DeviceName like '%RELAY%' and CAST(DeviceID%5 as CHAR(1))='0'

Select DeviceName from Devices where not Devices.DeviceName like '%RELAY%' and CAST(DeviceID%5 as CHAR(1))='1'

Select DeviceName from Devices where not Devices.DeviceName like '%RELAY%' and CAST(DeviceID%5 as CHAR(1))='2'

Select DeviceName from Devices where not Devices.DeviceName like '%RELAY%' and CAST(DeviceID%5 as CHAR(1))='3'

• 4. Re: Covid-19 impact on BCM DMZ Relay
                Fabrice POLTORATZKY

Thanks Lionel,

I finally understand your mathematic rule. I made some tests and your solution works fine. An other option would be to count the device ID from 1 to 800, then from 800 to 1600 and so on... We work on it and let BCM community knows.

• 5. Re: Covid-19 impact on BCM DMZ Relay
                  Lionel ROCHA

You're welcome

I've tested the other solution, but the 4th relay was always the most requested (new device), and I prefere balance the load.