1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2020 1:28 AM by Saroj Sahu

How many people are still using ARInside?

Jason Miller
      Share This:

Just trying to get a feel for how many people/organizations are still using ARInside?

I see it mentioned a few times in Communities in recent history:

Re: SQL - Find workflow by Message Number

Tools like ARInside

have already configured ARInside but now i want to refresh as it is not showing new customization done on server. I have created another target destination and loaded all component there but how can we configure this new target destination in ARInside

Personally, I still use it on every environment I maintain. It has even made me change my tune regarding allowing my custom objects to be name with "__c" at the end (REF: https://communities.bmc.com/ideas/6043#comment-48698 ). In most recent history I am removing the "__c" just so ARInside can document my custom object's relationships.

Is there a need for a replacement tool or with Smart IT, hosted Helix, very few organizations performing AR development, etc., is there really a market for such a tool any more? Basically would enough people benefit from a replacement to make it worth the effort to create it?

CC: LJ LongWing, Brian Goralczyk, Remedy ITSM

• 1. Re: How many people are still using ARInside?
          Danny Kellett

Hi Jason Miller,

I use it at every site I work at. I set it up to output on an admin midtier. And then if anyone releases code, they have to rerun. (I don't have it on cron, probably should do).

Regarding a replacement, I have thought about it a few times as I know LJ and now you have too. It's a lot of work.

Regards

Danny

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How many people are still using ARInside?
            Jason Miller

I have a set of PowerShell scripts I created to automate refreshing the info via Windows Scheduled Tasks. I suppose now that PS Core is supported on Linux/macOS it could be used with cron too

I'll have to clean them up and post them in the Communities.

I also put the output on a web server. I usually use Apache httpd so I can create the ARInside files as .gz compressed to save some space and speed up access time over the wire.

• 3. Re: How many people are still using ARInside?
              Ganesh Gore

Same here and I always have copy of ARinside executed against latest OOTB environment. It is really handy when you need to check latest object definitions. I keep that copy on my laptop and treat it as offline AR server.

• 4. Re: How many people are still using ARInside?
                Jason Miller

Are you using the the GZCompresion option? If not, how much disk space does a full ITSM system take up?

With GZCompression = Yes on my 19.08  ITSM system (no Smart IT or DWP yet), it takes up 995 MB (size). It chews up 1.78 GB (Size on disk) because the directory contains more than 431k tiny files.

• 5. Re: How many people are still using ARInside?
                  Ganesh Gore

I haven't used GZCompresion option and My default output folder says :  (sorry dont remember exact remedy version)

• Size: 5.46 GB (5,86,75,42,727 bytes)
                  • Size on dsik: 6.14 GB (6,60,28,29,824 bytes)
                  • 6. Re: How many people are still using ARInside?
                    Jason Miller

WOW! It is amazing how much space documenting an ITSM system takes up. Good to know that using GZCompression is still saving a good amount of space. I also notice better performance difference when opening a large list of objects (at least the last time I compared compressed vs. not compressed years ago).

• 7. Re: How many people are still using ARInside?
                      Ganesh Gore

how could I miss it? I will try this option during next run...

• 8. Re: How many people are still using ARInside?
                        Jason Miller

The trick is you need a web server that can serve .gzip files. I have stuck with Apache httpd but Tomcat might be able to do it these days since there are a number of similarities (both being Apache projects).

• 9. Re: How many people are still using ARInside?
                          Jason Miller

And even then it takes a little configuration before Apache wants to happily serve the .gz files.

• 10. Re: How many people are still using ARInside?
                            Theo Fondse

I don't use ARInside because I wrote my own VB tool in MS Excel back in the days of ARS v3.2.1 that uses a DEF file to document forms and workflow in a spreadsheet format and I update it with changes in the new versions of ARS as they add or change the DEF file layout. I still think ARInside is  a very cool tool that is very helpful and it deserves to continue to live and evolve on.

I fully agree with Jason Miller on the "__c" post-fixes that the DevStudio insists on adding to the names of custom objects and that is the first thing I go and remove as well. The insistence on renaming the core fields when you save a form as a new form also seems to be a huge time-waster for me alongside the "__c" post-fixes.

it really is my wish that BMC will refrain from renaming objects on my behalf if I did not ask for it.

Although I do understand the argument of wanting to separate "custom" objects from "base" objects, the current unsolicited way of blindly renaming objects is definitely not the best way of achieving that goal. A simple flag similar to the Disable/Enable tickbox on Active Links & Filters that has been named appropriately would have been a much more effective solution whilst saving countless hours of people having to go back and rename objects.

• 11. Re: How many people are still using ARInside?
                              Jason Miller

Theo Fondse, your tool documents the relationships between objects or just documents the objects themselves? Either way that is pretty cool and must have taken some time to put together and continuing to maintain all those years/versions.

Have you documented an ITSM system? I am curious how large the file is created?

I didn't mind the '__c' until I found that ARInside doesn't document relationships that end with '__c'. Really it is an ARInside issue but since nobody is maintaining it, my only option was to start removing the automatic '__c'.

• 12. Re: How many people are still using ARInside?
                                Phillip Brockhaus

I've only actively used it on my current contract that started in August. In the past I've always used a combination of the relationships panel inside dev studio and SQL queries to the various DB tables.

AR Inside is used heavily here, but I usually still end up relying on relationships and SQL as those are the tools I'm more familiar with. All the other developers use AR Inside when troubleshooting.

• 13. Re: How many people are still using ARInside?
                                  Jason Miller

I too "grew up" just figuring it out before I started using ARInside. I too also figured out relationships by searching in .def files and the db. This was before Dev Studio. I use the relationships feature a little in the Admin Tool. Then I broke down and tried ARInside having seen it mentioned many times on the ARSlist (back when it was still being actively maintained) and it was just so much darn easier to research relationships and find object information. I have been using it ever since.

• 14. Re: How many people are still using ARInside?
                                    Danny Kellett

And let's not forget, the value of offline. And most of the time much quicker

1 2 Previous Next