3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2020 4:41 PM by Corey Rolen

How to manage the visibility of knowledge article sets

Tanya Oplanic
      Share This:

Is there a way to manage the view access to knowledge articles in a grouped way, rather than by individual article? From what I've read visibility groups can be created and then applied to individual articles to restrict who can see them. But isn't there a way to manage groups of articles so you don't have to manage articles individually?

To give you context, we have 5,000 articles in our knowledge base. About 3,000 of these are technical articles that need to be viewed by numerous assignment groups beyond the assignment group linked to the article. The other 2,000 are help desk and self-service articles. I don't see a way that we can manage these two large sets of articles en masse. Right now, we have these viewable to everyone. But our help desk is having a problem with seeing technical articles that are of no use to them. Now we're faced with the challenge of restricting the 3,000 articles from the help desk agents.

From what I've read, we will need to update the 3,000 articles individually with a "technical" visibility group. Am I reading this right? Or is there a way to manage view access to articles in groups? I sure hope there is.

Thank you!

Tanya

• 1. Re: How to manage the visibility of knowledge article sets
          Corey Rolen

Hi,

There are a few ways you could do this. First its important to understand visibility groups. I created a Blog a long time ago around this that should help.

The Pulse: Utilizing visibility groups to segregate knowledge articles

Remember

1. Unrestricted access will override any visibility group

2. You can use computed groups in visibility groups to add multiple support groups to articles

3. Utilize the Internal use feature. This will mark the articles internal only so anyone with a Knowledge role and a member of the group the article assigned to will see the article.

4. You can use a combination of internal use and visibility groups. This way if you mark it internal only it will be view able by the group assigned in the article, plus any visibility groups as well.

As far as bulk updating them it will be a tricky process to do as you will need to know all 3,000 articles you need to update. If you use different templates for each "type" then it would make it easier.

You can always open a support case with BMC and I will be glad to assist in a webex meeting. Just ask for Corey Rolen in the support ticket

4 of 4 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to manage the visibility of knowledge article sets
            Tanya Oplanic

Hi Corey,

I read your article about visibility and have a few questions.

- We haven't tested computed groups yet. Is there a limit to how many groups can be added to a computed group?

- I should mention we are using Smart IT primarily. So is "internal use" the same thing as "Publish to External Audiences"? We use that publish to external audiences to control what articles are published to DWP. Our help desk agents use the Smart IT interface so I don't see how this control will help restrict articles from them.

- Assuming we have the new visibility groups created, is there any way to mass update the visibility in articles?

Yes, we could definitely use your help. I will open that support case.

Thank you.

Tanya

• 3. Re: How to manage the visibility of knowledge article sets
              Corey Rolen

Q. We haven't tested computed groups yet. Is there a limit to how many groups can be added to a computed group?

A. I have seen quite a few added in the past. I do not think there is a limit, but I also do not think a limit was ever tested

Q. I should mention we are using Smart IT primarily. So is "internal use" the same thing as "Publish to External Audiences"? We use that publish to external audiences to control what articles are published to DWP. Our help desk agents use the Smart IT interface so I don't see how this control will help restrict articles from them.

A. Correct. Publish to external is "Internal Only". Smart IT it is reversed. So if you say NO in smart IT, the back end data will mark it as Internal Only = YES

Q. Assuming we have the new visibility groups created, is there any way to mass update the visibility in articles?

A. Yes. If we can identify the articles to update them I have an easy method. The first thing is to try to identify common items.

Common identifiers would be things like

• Article Assigned Groups
              • Template Type
              • Authors
              1 of 1 people found this helpful