7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2020 5:05 PM by Richard Rowe

Purchased items/assets in Track-IT 20.19 & 20.20

Info Tech
      Share This:

I've used Track-IT when it was still Numara to what it is today.  I remember in version 11.4 you can receive inventory as items and they to into the Unassigned bucket.  Then you can then assign them to Asset so you can track the life of items and it's association.  It seems those options are now gone with the new 2018+ version of Track-It.  Maybe I'm missing something but I do not see the options to accomplish that same task we use to do in 11.4.  If that feature is gone that is going to suck because that feature was an important part of why I selected Track-IT. 

• 1. Re: Purchased items/assets in Track-IT 20.19 & 20.20
          Ken Soszka

Hi, you are correct in that there are no "Tracked Items" or "Unassigned Equipment" asset in Track-It! 20.x. However, you can pretty much recreate that scenario. There is something called Asset Relation in Track-It! 20.x where you can link assets together as parent assets and child assets.

You could manually create an asset called "Unassigned Equipment Room" for example, and then link it as a parent asset to your newly purchased assets, after you receive them.

Once you have manually created the Unassigned Equipment Room asset:

1. Receive the purchased item(s) in the Purchase Order, choose to create an Asset.

2. Find the resulting Asset(s) by using search, or you could create an Asset View that uses the Date Purchased column, and sort with newest at the top.

3. Open the Asset(s) and click the Asset Relations tab, click the lightning bolt, click Link Parent and choose your Unassigned Equipment Room as the parent.

You will end up with the Unassigned Equipment Room having all of your unassigned equipment under the Asset Relations tab, as child assets. Then as the equipment is assigned, you just un-link it, and either leave it as a stand-alone asset, or link it to another asset if appropriate.

You could also do the linking in reverse, by opening your Unassigned Equipment Room asset, and linking the newly purchased assets as children. The image below shows it that way.

Asset Relations.png

I realize that you lose some automation from 11.4, where the purchased items could be automatically added to unassigned equipment when received. That part might be a great idea to submit here on the Communities site - maybe the ability to choose a default parent asset, and have the option to relate received items to it as children with a checkbox. Maybe there is a way to make something like that happen using a business rule, but I can't say without doing some research and I'm already up too late! Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions or thoughts.

• 2. Re: Purchased items/assets in Track-IT 20.19 & 20.20
            Cris Coffey

There is another way to accomplish this easily. There is now an asset status field that has 2 values, Unassigned and Production. Newly received assets from Purchasing have an unassigned status and they don’t have a parent. Those are your new Unassigned assets. Once you join them to another asset, you can then update their status to Production and then they are in production use. To see all your Unassigned equipment, just filter the asset view on the Status = Unassigned.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Purchased items/assets in Track-IT 20.19 & 20.20
              Ken Soszka

Wow thanks Cris, I didn't realize that was in the latest version! Very nice.

• 4. Re: Purchased items/assets in Track-IT 20.19 & 20.20
                Info Tech

Thank you for the input, I will look into this.  It doens't look like the new TI handles inventory the same as before.  Which is fine, I'll just have to re-wire my brain to match the way it handles inventory and assets.

• 5. Re: Purchased items/assets in Track-IT 20.19 & 20.20
                  Info Tech

Thank you Chris.  It all boils down to this new TI 2018+ just handles inventory different and so I'll just have to get use to it.  I see it benefits with this new current method.  I'll follow your instructions and test things out.

• 6. Re: Purchased items/assets in Track-IT 20.19 & 20.20
                    Cris Coffey

It is different but similar. If you create a view in the Asset module filtering on Asset Status = Unassigned, then you can easily jump to that view and see all your equipment that is unassigned instead of having an Asset act as a container like the old version. In this new platform, every asset also has all the important attributes you may need like warranty, support, and purchasing info fields. In the old platform, only tracked items had that info which made it very difficult to track warranty and maintenance information for the parent assets. In this new platform, all assets are top level assets and have all the properties necessary to properly track that asset and its full life cycle. Now you dont have to create a duplicate tracked item asset to represent the parent asset just to enter some purchasing info. You can also attach any asset to another asset which is similar to the old system but performed slightly differently. I hope this information has been helpful. Let us know if you have any other questions.

• 7. Re: Purchased items/assets in Track-IT 20.19 & 20.20
                      Richard Rowe

As Cris and Ken say, with 20xx, all these "Tracked Items" are top level and the connection made via Link Controls (So you still have relationships).

And as Cris mentions, with the records having warranty and maintenance values, the beauty of 20xx is that you can really home in on the power of the Business Rules Engine.

For example, this means that you can create notifications when a contract, warranty, maintenance or whatever is due to expire or up for renewal. As such, you can gain some real value from the information stored in the module and really manage the life of your assets.