1 2 3 Previous Next 33 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2020 7:22 AM by Alex Kim

ADDM apliance login

Alex Kim
      Share This:

After installing new appliance, can not access ui using "http://ip-address/". getting "The connection has timed out". installation went fine so is there configuration that I missed?

• 1. Re: ADDM apliance login
          Brian Morris

Make sure you've got the right IP. If you have console access to the appliance, you can find the IP via command line. ip addr

DHCP might presently be configured if this is a brand new installation, so it's possible the IP you started with isn't the one you have at the moment.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: ADDM apliance login
            Alex Kim

It is using static IP so that's not an issue. Am I missing something after installing alliance?

• 3. Re: ADDM apliance login
              Alex Kim

To add to my last comment, I didn't do the VMware tools install, is that something I must do?

• 4. Re: ADDM apliance login
                Alex Kim

more comments.

first NIC had adapter type as Flexible but it is not supported by Red Hat. added second NIC and changed it to E1000. Now, what do I do?

• 5. Re: ADDM apliance login
                  Brice-Emmanuel Loiseaux
                  • 6. Re: ADDM apliance login
                    Alex Kim

we are working on upgrading to 11.1 from 9.0 and while installing network adapter type default might have been Flexible and that is not supported by RHEL6.

So added eth1 and network adapter changed to E1000. Now what do I need to change eth1 to eth0.

• 7. Re: ADDM apliance login
                      Kerryn Wood

You should seriously consider moving to 11.3. 11.1 goes out of "Full Support" in September this year (BMC Software Product).

For 11.1, you should install VMware Tools. The details are in the 11.1 "Installing the virtual appliance" documentation. Note that versions of Discovery that are running RHEL or CentOS 7.x do not need to install VMware Tools.

If you have configured statically assigned IP addressing, then the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file must contain the MAC address of the interface you now want to be eth0. This is set with the HWADDR=<MAC address>. I'd recommend removing the device you don't need any more but if you require it to be present then /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 file should contain the MAC address of the incorrect interface. The files should look something like below, assuming you do not need the flexible interface:

[root@localhost ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

DEVICE=eth0

BOOTPROTO=static

ONBOOT=yes

IPADDR=<IP address>

NETMASK=<netmask>

GATEWAY=<gateway IP>

HWADDR=<MAC address>

[root@localhost ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1

DEVICE=eth1

BOOTPROTO=none

ONBOOT=no

HWADDR=<MAC address>

[root@localhost ~]#

Finally, you should remove the udev persistence files that would retain device allocation on reboot. Remove the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file and reboot.

Installing the tools may resolve the driver issue you are having but the issue of device name allocation will persist.

• 8. Re: ADDM apliance login
                        Alex Kim

Kerryn,

We are upgrading to 11.1 for now but will go to 11.3 later on. So our current ifcfg-eht0 look like this and don't see MAC in it;

DEVICE=eth0

BOOTPROTO=none

ONBOOT=yes

IPADDR=<IP address>

NETMASK=<netmask>

And /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file contains both eth0 and eth1.

I'm trying to remove current eth0 and change eth1 to eth0(is that necessary?)

• 9. Re: ADDM apliance login
                          Kerryn Wood

Add the MAC address (HWADDR=) of the interface you want to be to that file and make sure the eth1 file either does not have HWADDR set or set to the MAC address of the interface you want to be eth1.

The .rules file will be regenerated on boot. I find letting udev recreate the file a safer option than changing things directly in the file. In theory, yes, you could do what you need to do in the .rules file (delete eth0 lines and change the eth1 lines). Another option altogether is to blow away the .rules file, shutdown the system and remove the unwanted network adapter.

There are few other options to resolve the issue but I suggest to go with the forced allocation in ifcfg files and removing the persistent net rules file before rebooting.

• 10. Re: ADDM apliance login
                            Alex Genstrom

Why don't you just follow the installation guide? Changing the appliance IP address - Documentation for BMC Discovery 11.1 - BMC Documentation
                            BTW, for some reason it is not written for 11.3 in the same manner..

• 11. Re: ADDM apliance login
                              Alex Kim

In vCenter, eth0 and eth1 because eth0 has Flexible give RHEL6 not supported message so that's the reason eth1 was added.

So correct me if I understand what you said;

copy ifcfg-eth0 to ifcfg-eth1 and update eth1 with MAC address in there

delete ifcfg.eth0

delete /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file

reboot?

• 12. Re: ADDM apliance login
                                Alex Genstrom

If eth1 is the correct one from vCenter, then yes, you will need to add the HWADDR, IPADDR and NETMASK to it, also check if /etc/sysconfig/network file has been properly configured.
                                Again, as described here: Changing the appliance IP address - Documentation for BMC Discovery 11.1 - BMC Documentation

With other words 2 files to check:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1

DEVICE=eth1

BOOTPROTO=static

HWADDR=<your MAC here>

TYPE=Ethernet

ONBOOT=yes

IPADDR=<your IP here>

NETMASK=<your network mask here>

/etc/sysconfig/network

NETWORKING=yes

NETWORKING_IPV6=yes

HOSTNAME=<your appliance hostname here>

GATEWAY=<your gateway here>

and 2 to delete:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

I think this should work.. Unless you wanna remove eth0 from your vCenter, then probably eth1 will become eth0, then you will need to re-align the configuration a bit.

• 13. Re: ADDM apliance login
                                  Alex Kim

I copied eth0 to eth1 and updated eth1 to add MAC and deleted eth0. deleted persist file and rebooted but persist file still contains both eth0 and eth1.

Am I supposed to delete eth0 from vCenter?

• 14. Re: ADDM apliance login
                                    Alex Genstrom

.rules file is auto-generated based on your configuration on vCenter I assume. If I were you, I would remove anything that is not in use (eth0 in your case) from vCenter, then configure your network to be run on eth0 on the Appliance CLI, again removed .rules file and only then rebooted.

However you never mention if the appliance has become accessible or still "Timed out"?

1 2 3 Previous Next