12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2020 11:24 PM by Jamsheer KK

What’s the future of Mid Tier ?

Jamsheer KK
      Share This:

When ever we talk about upgrade this is one of the common question from customer will be 'is there be any change in Mid tier UI or  we still have to maintain for administration'

We already shared the introduction of new CMDB Console and BMC plans to remove flash dependency however it seems like they are not convinced.

PS: Customer is on v9.1.3 and long time remedy user (v6x) unfortunately they are relectant to move Smart IT due to its limitations .

Is there any plan for bmc to upgrade from  legacy Mid Tier to modern responsive UI or moving Administration to Smart IT UI?

regards,

Jam

• 1. Re: What’s the future of Mid Tier ?
          Ganesh Gore

BMC is working on to improve the midtier UI it seems.

Check the new feature 'Themes':

User Themes in MidTier 1902

• 2. Re: What’s the future of Mid Tier ?
            Jamsheer KK

Unfortunately this is just branding which is similar to AR System Skins feature available since v7.6x.  What I’m more interested to know is there any plan to have mid tier/AR  to revamp the underlying technology which is similar to Helix Platform.

regards,

jam

• 3. Re: What’s the future of Mid Tier ?
              LJ LongWing

Jamsheer,

This is not 'insider knowledge', so please don't take it as such....but this is my personal take on the subject.

SmartIT is an ITSM client.  Mid-Tier is an AR System client.  So....BMC has 3 choices that I can see.

1 - Turn SmartIT from an ITSM Client into a client for AR System that allows you to build your own applications and display them in it

2 - Turn Mid-Tier into an upgraded AR System client that utilizes the same display technologies as SmartIT, but utilizes the AR System platform (Forms, Active Links, etc) to determine the display.

3 - Utilize the new Jetty server that's built into the AR Server and build a new UI off of that

I'm not on a team that deals with any of these options, but I believe that they are more likely to do #2 or #3 than #1....

again, that's just a personal opinion of someone that has no inside knowledge of any future plans

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: What’s the future of Mid Tier ?
                Stefan Hall

Please not #3

the integrated Jetty Server was ok as long as it only had to serve internal interfaces. Now end users access it and this is where the problems start.

BMC does not keep the version up to date, there is no SECURITY PATCH and scaling without AR Server is not possible. What an overhead, unfortunately the BMC CMDB managers did not understand this.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: What’s the future of Mid Tier ?
                  LJ LongWing

It's actually the CMDB interface that makes me think this is a possible future.  They are already using it to give UI...not UI that you build in Dev Studio, but UI none the less, so I think it's a possible future for the UI layer.

• 6. Re: What’s the future of Mid Tier ?
                    Stefan Hall

I hope not. it removes the separation between UI and application server. With all the drawbacks I've described.

What do you do if the jetty server can't handle the user base? You install a new platform server with a lot of effort instead of a new Tomcat web server in a few minutes?

The application server is often behind a firewall, the Tomcat is not. With the jetty you have to let the user behind the firewall.

And much more, for me an ill-conceived step by the CMDB guys.

• 7. Re: What’s the future of Mid Tier ?
                      Jason Miller

Years ago at Engage (or maybe WWRUG even) Doug Mueller painted a picture of a world where Mid Tier was no longer needed and we have the same bits to deploy everywhere (though possibly in different configurations or roles). Having being exposed to this conversation, I suppose I am not shocked by this move as other might be.

Centralized configuration in theory would ease the effort of standing up new AR Servers.

Ultimately "Mid Tier" was exactly that, a middle tier and a stop-gap, as web UIs became the standard in the business world. While all of us have become very comfortable with the current deployment architecture, I am not sure MT was ever intended to be a permanent solution.

What if the trend had not moved towards browser-based UIs and the Windows User Tool was still the active client? We would be in the exact same situation, we would have to open AR servers to the world (assuming people had WUT on the outside). Actually it would be worse because you would need your AR TCP port exposed in this scenario while with Jetty we only have to expose the Jetty port (although being started with AR Server, the run-time permissions are the same).

I am not saying that I am thrilled about AR Server exposing to the world, like I already stated, I am comfortable with the current architecture. We will just need to get smarter with our deployments and the security tools needed to protect them. Even today if you expose MT to the internet, there has to be a path of communications back to AR Server; the risk is there today, it just takes a few more hops to exploit. Regarding firewalls, I hope world-accessible Tomcat servers are still behind a firewall, even in the DMZ. They need ports 80/443 allowed but I hope everything else is being blocked by a FW. This would be the same if we replaced Tomcat/MT with an AR Server/Jetty server.

To your point though, I wonder how much effort it would take for BMC to come up with the bits that allow a user-installed Jetty server to talk with an AR Server? If this could be provided as an option it would still give us the benefits you mention regarding Tomcat (ultimately we are just trading one web/container server/tech for another). We would be able to keep lighter-weight web servers deployed and also be able to keep Jetty updated as needed.

• 8. Re: What’s the future of Mid Tier ?
                        Jamsheer KK

I think if you remember the Remedy 9.5 beta program ( Innovation Suite  --> Helix Platform) which was similar to your option #3.

• 9. Re: What’s the future of Mid Tier ?
                          Jamsheer KK

For many years BMC is not doing any major change with Mid Tier . When I compare mid tier 7.6 and latest version I didn't find any notable change.

I wish someone one from BMC could answer my original query.

• 10. Re: What’s the future of Mid Tier ?
                            Anne Brock

Jamsheer KK wrote:

For many years BMC is not doing any major change with Mid Tier . When I compare mid tier 7.6 and latest version I didn't find any notable change.

I wish someone one from BMC could answer my original query.

BMC won't comment on futures in a public forum. You can ask your account manager to arrange a call with the product managers (under an NDA) to get questions like this answered.

• 11. Re: What’s the future of Mid Tier ?
                              Peter Adams

Yes, unfortunately I can't go into a lot of details at this time. But I can say that we do have plans for some new, exciting capabilities in this area, and we plan to involve customers soon in this activity. Stay tuned, and make sure that you follow the BMC Customer Programs space, so that you get notified about new beta program announcements.

BTW, we have made a number of enhancements in mid-tier component over time - from delivering a new Rich-Text Editor to new Login Screen and more.

• 12. Re: What’s the future of Mid Tier ?
                                Jamsheer KK

Peter Adams Thank you for the information.  Yes, I'm following the Customer Programs.

I do agree that BMC had introduced enhancements in mid-tier unfortunately those are not enough to meet the customer expectations.