6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2020 4:22 PM by Janna Horn

How to change the sender name in the email from a ticket

Janna Horn
      Share This:

In previous versions (11.4) when a tech would respond to a requester, the email would be from them. Now the tickets all come from the default email address. How can I set that to be from the logged-in technician?

• 1. Re: How to change the sender name in the email from a ticket
          Ken Soszka

Hi Janna,

In the old version (11.x) you probably had the manual email button in a ticket set to open up a new email in Outlook (or your default email program) instead of the Track-It "Email Conversation", which is built into Track-It. That made it so that you had to send directly from the Technician's email address, because that's what you were actually using. Support for that was discontinued in one of the later 11.x versions, due to incompatibility with constant changes on the Microsoft side. I don't think you can do it in Track-It! 20.x. It would also mess up replies to those emails, as they would go back to the Technician and not into Track-It.

• 2. Re: How to change the sender name in the email from a ticket
            Janna Horn

We were using 11,4 and we were doing it from Outlook. When we moved to Office365 the function stopped working. So is there any plan to allow for the email to be sent from the tech and be able to be responed to as well. Or are they going to have to go back to the ticket to see the reples?

I have some pretty unhappy techs at the moment.

• 3. Re: How to change the sender name in the email from a ticket
              Ken Soszka

Using it as is, if the Requestor replies to an email sent from the ticket, the reply will go back into Track-It, and be added as a note in the ticket that it was sent from. You then could set up an email notification to the Technician, indicating that there was an update to the ticket and the note could be included in the notification message - no need to log in to Track-It to see it. See this thread, the 9th post from Cris Coffey, as an example of how to do this.

Technician notification of incoming email

Theoretically, next the Technician could then simply reply to that email notification, it would again go back into Track-It, and be added as a note in the ticket that it was originally sent from. You then could set up an email notification to the Requestor, indicating that there was an update to the ticket and the note could be included in the notification message - again, no need to log in to Track-It (Self Service) to see it.

That is how Track-It! is designed to work. The entire ticket could be worked in email, from start to finish, without either the Technician or the Requestor ever logging in other than to possibly open or close the ticket, or make changes to category, status, etc.

• 4. Re: How to change the sender name in the email from a ticket
                Janna Horn

I think you just let me know the issue, I don't have incoming email set up... so that means there is no reply available, is that correct?

• 5. Re: How to change the sender name in the email from a ticket
                  Ken Soszka

Yes, that sounds right. The replies are going to the mailbox of the reply-to address, but if they are not being read by Track-It they are not being added to ticket notess, and therefore not triggering any notifications (if they are set up).

• 6. Re: How to change the sender name in the email from a ticket
                    Janna Horn