6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2020 11:44 AM by Ana Lorite

Add a new root node kind in Default CDM Mapping

Ana Lorite
      Share This:

Hi all!

Hope you are ok!

My customer would like to map some kind of network device in a BMC_CustomClass instead of mapping them to the BMC_ComputerSystem class.

Is that possible? I know it's possible extending and modifying the standard mappings but what my customer would like is much more than a new class related to a root node kind or a new attribute in a BMC class. I would say that It's not possible but I'd like your confirmation.

Thanks in advance.

Ana.

• 1. Re: Add a new root node kind in Default CDM Mapping
          Duncan Grisby

Is the new class a subclass of BMC_ComputerSystem?  If so, you can convert the BMC_ComputerSystem CI created by the standard mapping into the new class, using the special "base" attribute in the CI function:

mapping from NetworkDevice_ComputerSystem.device as device where some condition

end mapping;

body

device_cs := NetworkDevice_ComputerSystem.device_cs;

device_cs := sync.MyCustomClass(base := device_cs, OtherAttr := whatever...);

end body;

Discovery doesn't actually care if the custom class is a subclass of BMC_ComputerSystem, but the CMDB is likely to be upset about many relationships if the class is not suitable for them.

By the way, don't call it BMC_CustomClass if it's not a BMC-defined class. That will cause great confusion.

5 of 5 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Add a new root node kind in Default CDM Mapping
            Ana Lorite

Hi Duncan,

Thanks a million for your help.

Thanks for your suggestion about the name of the non-BMC defined class. I will tell the CMDB team.

No, the BMC_Media is not a subcass of BMC_ComputerSystem.

Following, I show you the relation between BMC_Media and BMC_BaseElement:

BMC_BaseElement->BMC_SystemComponent->BMC_HardwareSystemComponent->BMC_Media

Any suggestion? Thank you very much!

Ana.

• 3. Re: Add a new root node kind in Default CDM Mapping
              Brice-Emmanuel Loiseaux

Reading CDM model definition, I see the description of BMC_Media is "Class that stores information about devices on which data can be stored, such as hard disks, floppy disks, CD-ROMs, and tapes". These CIs are "part of" BMC_System CIs (BMC_ComputerSystem or BMC_Cluster for example) since the relationship BMC_HostedSystemComponents is used to relate them.

Is this really a good idea to map network devices to this class? What are these out of interest?

If they are part of a bigger device that is mapped to BMC_ComputerSystem you can possibly mimic the mapping of ManagementController.

• 4. Re: Add a new root node kind in Default CDM Mapping
                Ana Lorite

Hi Brice-Emmanuel,

Thanks for your answer and your help, I realized that BMC_Media is not a user-defined class (I understood quite the opposite when my customer asked that mapping).

The reason why my customer map this network devices to this class: i don't know

So, at this point, my question can be reduced to: does this mapping cause duplicates CIs? BMC_ComputerSystem and BMC_Media.

Thanks of all you for your help!

Ana.

• 5. Re: Add a new root node kind in Default CDM Mapping
                  Brice-Emmanuel Loiseaux

If these network devices are already modeled by Discovery as NetworkDevice nodes, then they are already synchronized to BMC_ComputerSystem by the OOTB syncmapping set. Difficult to say much more without additional details about these devices.

2 of 2 people found this helpful