9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2020 9:48 PM by Sudharshan Mohire

What is limit of scanner for CI discovery ?

Sudharshan Mohire
      Share This:

We are having a new Discovery implementation which includes below to be discovered

1) 18000 hosts

2) 85000 Networking devices

3) 1200 Storage devices

What is the best approach of scanners to get above devices to be discovered ?

• 1. Re: What is limit of scanner for CI discovery ?
          Andrew Waters

That would depend upon the visibility of your network. For example if some of it is firewalled off (for example a DMZ) then you would need appliances within those subnets.

• 2. Re: What is limit of scanner for CI discovery ?
            Sudharshan Mohire

Thanks Andrew for the response.

But let us consider the ideal scenario where there is no DMZ. In that case - How many scanners is required to discovery customer infra ?

• 3. Re: What is limit of scanner for CI discovery ?
              Andrew Waters

It could be done in one clustered deployment. How many machines would depend upon the size of the machines and how quickly you want to scan them. It would also depend upon access, for example detailed scanning to get database tables requires more effort. It is very hard to be specific.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: What is limit of scanner for CI discovery ?
                Lisa Keeler

So you have ~105,000 OSI’s to discover.  Most are network devices.  I assume you will also sync to the CMDB?

You will need a powerful configuration.

There are more questions to answer to provide an estimate:

1) how often do you plan to scan the entire estate?

Daily, Weekly?

2) How much / how quickly will the estate grow over time?

Most customers as large as you are get help from BMC consulting or services to plan and size your system.

However, Support can also provide some basic guidance, based on the experience of other large customers.  (You can open a support ticket to get such guidance)

Have you thought about using Helix Discovery?  Going that route would provide a Discovery system that grows automatically for the demand.  You just have to provide a sufficient number of Outposts at your site.

With Helix Discovery, the ongoing maintenance is done for you, such as:

Backups

Datastore compaction

Disk space growth

Cpu/RAM/Swap growth

• 5. Re: What is limit of scanner for CI discovery ?
                  Sudharshan Mohire

Thanks Lisa for the response. Please find more information as below.

Yes the current setup is of more of Network devices and yes the CMDB is available of ServiceNow

1) how often do you plan to scan the entire estate?

Daily, Weekly?

Response : The scan will be twice in a week since there is different datacenter across globe which discover will be scanned on Friday and sunday

2) How much / how quickly will the estate grow over time?

As of now - We are targeting only on 110000 devices for scanning. It may be grow eventually but as of agreement this is been defined for year 2020 contract.

Helix Discovery is not been agreed since the customer is not willing to move everything on cloud so BMC Discovery was proposed.

• 6. Re: What is limit of scanner for CI discovery ?
                    Sudharshan Mohire

Thanks Andrew. Also can you comment on capacity of one scanner to disover CI

• 7. Re: What is limit of scanner for CI discovery ?
                      Andrew Waters

If you have multiple data centers you may want a scanner in each and a central consolidator. The is a reasonable amount of communication with what is being scanned so unless access to remote data centers is fast communication delays add significant overhead. Also it would depend upon the security between data centers. You may well limit what can be remotely accessed between data centers.

• 8. Re: What is limit of scanner for CI discovery ?
                        Lisa Keeler

Yes, agree with Andrew.

Most customers will have one scanner or scanning cluster per data center.

And one consolidation cluster that receives all the scanning data and sync’s to the CMDB.

Sync‘ing to a ServiceNow CMDB may be supported in an upcoming release.  Andrew, please confirm.

So, the question becomes a little bigger:

How to size each scanner.

And

How to size the Consolidator.

Since you will only scan twice per week, that is not as demanding as scanning daily.

A rough guideline chart exists on a standalone appliance in the UI.

I don’t have it in front of me, but I think it is something like this:

5,000+ OSI takes about 4 cpu and 16-32gig RAM and same amount of swap.  I don’t remember datastore disk size ... also very important..

The guideline example in the UI  assumes daily scanning.

So we could make wild guesses such as:

Maybe with the same configuration, you could scan 10-15 thousand OSI... since you only scan the estate twice per week.  Completely a guess.

And to scan 50 thousand OSI maybe it can be done with a standalone system with 12 cpu and 96 gig RAM and swap...

16 cpu with 140gig ram and swap may be better.

Each time you increase cpu, increase ram correspondingly.

Then to scan or consolidate 150,000 OSI twice per week, make a ~3-4 member cluster where each cluster member has the same configuration as recommended for the 50,000 case.  And double the datastore disk size because you will want fault tolerance.  Put the same amount of datastore disk on each member.

These are just wild guesses.  I just wanted to throw something out there to spark discussion.

If you plan to have many application models on the consolidators, add more power to the consolidator.

On scanners and consolidator, I recommend You should have separate disks for:

Datastore

Tideway logs

Datastore transaction logs

And any other pieces that are moved around by the Disk Configuration page.... I am not at my desk... so I can’t see it.

Sent from my iPhone

• 9. Re: What is limit of scanner for CI discovery ?
                          Sudharshan Mohire

Thanks Lisa ! This is quite precise and beneficial information.