10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2020 10:56 AM by Daniel Hudsky

Why does the AR User Tool compete for the AI Admin login license?

Daniel Hudsky
      Share This:

this is a question for my fellow technical people. I still use the AR User tool like every real Remedy fan. But it is costing me a price. I can't save Spoon work when I log into the User Tool.

I get a message that I am already logged in once. I am pretty sure this is due to not having an Administrator license, although my login license is Fixed! This should allow my login to work from multiple locations. Can anyone from AR Server support confirm this?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Why does the AR User Tool compete for the AI Admin login license?
          Anne Brock

I am pretty sure only admins can log in from different boxes/places. A fixed license is one login at a time. I think that's what I remember.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Why does the AR User Tool compete for the AI Admin login license?
            Jason Miller

Correct, that is how it has always been since the single login rule was implemented. You need to be an admin. I suspect there would still be too much temptation to abuse a fixed license for a shared login if that was the only criteria. With the requirement of be an administrator, I am pretty sure the intent is to be a deterrent; you better think long and hard before you share those administrator credentials to allow multiple (write license) connections.

I was not aware that Spoon performed this check though (probably because I am always an admin). This is very interesting and I agree there should be a way to login to WUT and Spoon and not need to be a full admin. Unfortunately the quick work around is probably for your to use two different accounts (if allowed in your environment).

4 of 4 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Why does the AR User Tool compete for the AI Admin login license?
              LJ LongWing

hey Daniel,

Yes...any api client is going to come across the same problem, it has nothing to do with User tool.  It may be the fact that Spoon registers itself in a way that it doesn't conflict with Mid-Tier, being both of those are 'current' clients, but either way, unless you are an admin with fixed, you can't connect from multiple 'machines' without Admin.

4 of 4 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Why does the AR User Tool compete for the AI Admin login license?
                Daniel Hudsky

Hi back. I thought the same and thank you for confirming. I think the AI Admin should be separated from this restriction and any other API (assuming REST API for AR or CMDB would be subject to the same rule) is connecting to AR Server at that same time would be separated from licensing mechanism. Does the REST API for AR or CMDB have the same restriction? Meaning if the REST API connects with same user from same or separate host(s) with a fixed license and is not in the Admin group. Would that have the same effect?

Daniel

• 5. Re: Why does the AR User Tool compete for the AI Admin login license?
                  Anne Brock

"Read Restricted" is for systems that are logging in from different places with the same i.d. Obviously, there are limits to what they can do.

With a fixed license, they have the same restriction - but I don't know how long they are considered "logged in". You'd have to test it unless someone on here knows.

• 6. Re: Why does the AR User Tool compete for the AI Admin login license?
                    LJ LongWing

Yea, same restriction applies if it's the USER that's connecting....but when it's the 'system' connecting, it uses the 'Remedy Application Service' account, which is an admin user, and then impersonates the user in question, so it's not limited.

• 7. Re: Why does the AR User Tool compete for the AI Admin login license?
                      Shesadri Mandal

Is there any specific reason for using User tool? I believe its not supported any more by BMC.

• 8. Re: Why does the AR User Tool compete for the AI Admin login license?
                        Daniel Hudsky

I had a feeling that someone would ask that question. The error ARERR 9093 comes up even through the midtier.

The choice to use the User is specific to Administration of the CMDB. Its administration has been left without effective tools.

Let me know if you need some examples, but let me put this way:

go to Midtier URL and use these paths (after you substitute your host and port names of course ):

<MIDTIER><PORT>/arsys/forms/<YOURHOST or HOSTALIAS>/RE:Job_Runs

<MIDTIER><PORT>/arsys/forms/<YOURHOST or HOSTALIAS>/RE:Job_Events

Run a search and then try to look at your results. The limitation of using Midtier  should be clear once you do this.

Now do the same in User Tool. I hope that answers your question. This is just one example. Many more to add to the list.

Yes there are other ways to clear out the RE, AI and Norm job archives and I know them all. Still, I prefer the User tool because that's my 1967 Mustang.

I use the 7.5 Patch 7 version by the way. It does not crash as all later versions do.

Happy Holidays!

Daniel

• 9. Re: Why does the AR User Tool compete for the AI Admin login license?
                          Jason Miller

It is a shame that some old features are still included in some administrative forms that force the use of WUT. In the two examples you gave, it is not technology issue, but an issue with these forms still including field 1020 (Results List). If those were removed (by BMC) you could perform the necessary operations via Mid Tier. The only reason you can use WUT to get a "normal" results list is because it doesn't understand the 1020 feature. It is a design deficiency/limitation that allows this to work for you in WUT.

• 10. Re: Why does the AR User Tool compete for the AI Admin login license?
                            Daniel Hudsky

This the correct answer. My goal with this question was specific to having a fixed license as the CMDB and AI admin. These should be treated as the same license. AI and CMDB go hand in hand (in my opinion and personal experience). AI Admin group is hidden from CTM:People group assignment and is technically necessary for CMDB administration. There should be a non-compete clause for both and AI and CMDB should be issued as one. I can understand that use of AI strictly by an AR issued license is a comparable business offering, but having a CMDB fixed license without AI Admin license make no sense to me.

Daniel