9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2019 2:46 AM by Stefan Hall

Does a BMC/DWP web portal solution exist?

Jonas Henning
      Share This:

I'm pretty new in this BMC world and a bit lazy to dig into a solution on my own so instead I throw out this question in this community hoping this can be answered by you.

My issue is that we have several self developed web GUI that in different ways integrates with Remedy/ARS. One integrates through the API while others uses SMTP. Every web GUI is developed my different organizations within our company and they all invented the wheel.

What I'm looking for is a standard web portal that can be used for non-logged on Remedy-user/anonymous where they could report errors and these become requests in Remedy with certain attributes of my choice set. I'm looking for an "light version" of DWP that can be used by external users.

Alternative if it would be a web part/component/portlet that could be published to other websites.

Is there any out of the box product I can use for this (preferable from BMC)?

• 1. Re: Does a BMC/DWP web portal solution exist?
          Stefan Hall

Have a look at the release notes of DWP 1911. There BMC speaks of an external access for customers outside your organization.

However, the external customers seem to have to register, how else should support be able to contact them or just send a completion message.

100% Anonymous I do not know any standard solution.

• 2. Re: Does a BMC/DWP web portal solution exist?
            Stephen McDonnell

ji Jonas,

There are 2 web portals;

SmartIT - this provides a ticket interface for Support Staff (as indicated on the CTM:People form for the USER), it gives access to a dashboard, ticket console which has a selection of filters to change the criteria of tickets which match and are then displayed in table format as well as the ability to create new tickets on behalf of others. When selecting a ticket the user can manage its life cycle (status), add notes or send email all of which are logged against the ticket.

https://docs.bmc.com/docs/smartit1911/orientation-898430857.html

DWP - this is non Support Staff portal which allows a user to submit & track their requests and faults, although it only allows you to view those submitted by yourself rather than for 'my company' so doesn't work for say a 'Service Desk' raising tickets.

It comes as 2 options, Basic or Advanced

https://docs.bmc.com/docs/digitalworkplaceadvanced/1908/home-871979915.html

There are videos on YouTube as I think there may still be a trial site on offer

Cheers

Stephen

• 3. Re: Does a BMC/DWP web portal solution exist?
              Anne Brock

personally, I'd put a web form on an internet page; they fill out the fields; hit the button and it sends and email to create a ticket.

More modern folks would have the button use web services to create the ticket but I'm old-fashioned and lazy....

I don't know of a pre-built portal, but seems like a web form doesn't take much work.

• 4. Re: Does a BMC/DWP web portal solution exist?
                Stefan Hall

I would not offer a free form on the internet if I wanted to protect my support from unnecessary work. There are simply far too many trolls on the road.

We will see, which way Jonas will choose, I am curious.

• 5. Re: Does a BMC/DWP web portal solution exist?
                  Anne Brock

Stefan Hall wrote:

I would not offer a free form on the internet if I wanted to protect my support from unnecessary work. There are simply far too many trolls on the road.

We will see, which way Jonas will choose, I am curious.

oh yeah, I forgot about trolls... I'm just too optimistic about people

• 6. Re: Does a BMC/DWP web portal solution exist?
                    Billy Yuen

Let me explain a bit more in depth of DWP external user feature here.  First, it is a beta feature in 19.11, not recommend to be used in production environment.

The purpose of this feature create a dedicate external facing portal who is already deploy DWP for internal use.   In enterprise use case, a big company uses DWP external user portal to offer self-service web portal to interact with business partners, contractors or temp staffs.  Those external users has no access to original DWP service or content.  It can also apply to public sector.  School board district may deploy a DWP external user portal for parents of its district.

In terms of registration, external users are required to self register through DWP external portal with user own personal email.  Whitelist option is in official release, but not in 19.11 beta.  Those external users accounts cannot log in to original (internal) DWP / Remedy and get access to internal content; even they are within company firewall.

External user admin should design special services and knowledge article for outward facing audience (ie external portal users).  Admin can repurpose some existing services or K.A. for external consumption to save some crafting time.

There are lots of details about external users feature and I should stop listing them out in here.  Please contact DWP PM if you are interesting in DWP external user feature and beta program.  My email address is billy_yuen@bmc.com

3 of 4 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Does a BMC/DWP web portal solution exist?
                      Jonas Henning

That basicly what we done now but it's more work than you can imagine, different development on various web portals, all security issues (injections, DDoS) and data validation, responsive web design, integrations and more...and then keep all this working over time when both frontend and backend (and middleware) is constantly changing.

Stefan Hall and Billy Yuen posts about DWP external user feature is right on point what I was looking for

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 9. Re: Does a BMC/DWP web portal solution exist?
                        Stefan Hall

Jonas Henning,

It's great that we could help you. Please mark the helpful answers as helpful and choose one as correct to complete your question.