5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2019 8:11 AM by Duncan Grisby

A question about Complete Resync

Michael D
      Share This:

Hi.

When I do a Complete resync from Discovery to CMDB and then do a Complete resync again. After the second sync, I can see it does update every CI in the Discovery UI.

In Atrium Explorer I can see it updates ModifiedDate. Does Complete resync update anything else more than ModifiedDate?

Kind regards

• 1. Re: A question about Complete Resync
          Andrew Waters

From the docs

The resynchronization process runs as follows, more details are available in the CMDB Synchronization page:

1. Preparation – Prepare Resync performs the following actions, without changing any data in the CMDB:
            1. Reads identities of all CIs and relationships from the CMDB dataset.
            2. Transforms all BMC Discovery data into the local shadow copy.
            3. Compares the data read from the CMDB with the updated local shadow copy.
          2. Commit – Commit Resync performs the following actions in the CMDB:
            1. Creates CIs and relationships missing from the dataset.
            2. Marks deleted any CIs or relationships present in the dataset but not in the local shadow copy.
            3. Updates all CIs and relationships to ensure their attributes match those in the local shadow copy.
          4 of 4 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: A question about Complete Resync
            Stefan Hall

I know what you mean. If the shadow copy matches, DISCO wouldn't need to update every CI in the CMDB.

With us, the inline normalization always works in between, so that the CIs never match completely.

I haven't seen yet that in general all CIs are always rewritten. Otherwise the time-consuming comparison between CMDB and shadow copy would not be necessary.

I'm sure Mark can go into this in more detail.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: A question about Complete Resync
              Duncan Grisby

As Andrew quoted from the docs, during a resync, all CIs that already existed are updated to make sure their attributes match those in the shadow copy.

The comparison between CMDB data and shadow copy does not look at any attribute values -- it just looks at the identities (InstanceID and ADDMIntegrationID) of the CIs, to see which ones exist and which do not. It does not read the CI state from the CMDB, because that would return normalized values that Discovery would think needed to be updated.

5 of 5 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: A question about Complete Resync
                Stefan Hall

Duncan, are you sure? If I disable our normalization and resynce a second time, not all CIs will be updated.

From my experience and the resync output, the resync distinguishes between new, delete and update. Only single fields will be updated if they differ from the shadow copy, not always the whole record.

• 5. Re: A question about Complete Resync
                  Duncan Grisby

Yes, I am absolutely 100% positive. All existing CIs have their complete state updated. If you look at the CMDB, it will show no update to any CIs where the state had not actually changed, but Discovery sends the complete state of every single CI as part of the resync commit.

1 of 1 people found this helpful