8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2019 8:24 AM by Matt Laurenceau

Why do we need more than one Smart Reporting environment?

Stefan Hall
      Share This:

We already use Smart Reporting in the AR/ITSM Remedy world. Why does TSIM require an additional, independent installation?

I don't see any advantage in it, double infrastructure with double operating costs, no single reporting entry (different URLs), double debugging for BMC, double installation upgrade work for all on-prem users, etc.

Probably I'm blind, why exactly is a vendor with limited resources going this way?

• 1. Re: Why do we need more than a Smart Reporting environment?
          LJ LongWing

Stefan,

This will be pure speculation because I don't work with any of the tools you are discussing.

So....as you know, Smart Reporting is a re-packaged Yellowfin product with some added libraries that allow it to communicate with Remedy through JDBC (that's the Smart Reporting that I know at least)

I imagine that BMC also has need of reporting for TSIM?  They already 'know' Yellowfin....but because there were additional stuff that needed to be done to make it work with Remedy, I assume there was extra work to get it to work with the other tool, and the skillsets for the other tool were probably different...so they have a different team working on TSIM....so, the end result is two separate smart reporting installs?

They are likely similar, and if effort were put into combining them, it wouldn't likely cause much of a problem....but I'm sure this is a Silo issue.

• 2. Re: Why do we need more than a Smart Reporting environment?
            Stefan Hall

We also know these silo problems, but they don't make it any better.

Do you know someone with more product overview to whom we can give a tip? Different double developments might also be expensive for you and in the ITSM Suite we already have enough of them. With a new product, this should no longer happen if QA does a good job.

But maybe we are wrong and it must be like this (works as designed) .

• 3. Re: Why do we need more than one Smart Reporting environment?
              Seth Paskin

Hi Stefan Hall

You are correct that Yellowfin is the underlying technology for all Smart Reporting solutions. Current limitations for cross-solution use cases are based on licensing, not technology. We are working to address that.

Incidentally, the TrueSight solutions all had different reporting options and we began the path earlier this year to standardize and consolidate them as well. So there should be a nice dovetail into a reporting strategy for the whole platform. Right now TrueSight Operations Management 11.03, TrueSight Server Automation and TrueSight Network Automation (both 8.9) have Smart Reporting.

5 of 5 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Why do we need more than one Smart Reporting environment?
                Stefan Hall

Good to know you're working on bringing them together. Then I wait a little before I establish smart reporting for TrueSigth ;-)

• 5. Re: Why do we need more than one Smart Reporting environment?
                  Seth Paskin

And I'll wait to create a Smart Reporting community

• 6. Re: Why do we need more than one Smart Reporting environment?
                    Stefan Hall

I had already suggested this before the dissolution of the category "Getting started...". Just nobody listens to me   Maybe together we can... ?

Especially in the AR/ITSM environment there is a lot of confusion. AR is the installer, but the content and the license comes with ITSM.

Where exactly does the customer ask his questions?

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Why do we need more than one Smart Reporting environment?
                      Stefan Hall

Hi Matt Laurenceau,

I had already suggested this many months ago, because it is complicated in the ITSM environment and Smart Reporting gets a little lost.

Meanwhile it is integrated in further products (AR/ITSM/many TS products), belongs thus to the basic technology and the questions repeat themselves.

For me, there is a lot to be said for a separate category in order to bundle competence, questions and answers.

Can you do something about it and help Seth as well?

• 8. Re: Why do we need more than one Smart Reporting environment?
                        Matt Laurenceau

Given that "reporting" was fully focused on a given product, it used to make a lot of sense to have interactions about "reporting" in that very product community (where people are skilled on this topic).

With the portfolio evolving (and indeed convergence of reporting technologies), the Community will sure evolve too.

Timing not decided yet.

As a champion, you'll be "in the know" very early

1 of 1 people found this helpful