8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2019 8:59 AM by Lucas David Ferreira da Costa

Filter data to CMDB

Lucas David Ferreira da Costa
      Share This:

Hello, our client wants that when the information of the hosts is synchronized to the CMDB, only the attributes of this node are synchronized, without the relations being synchronized (for example, incoming and outgoing SoftwareInstances, etc). Can we only send attributes that are specifically from the host? What would be the way to achieve it? Thank you very much.

• 1. Re: Filter data to CMDB
          Lisa Keeler

They should use the CMDB Sync "Filtering" tab in the UI.

Here is an example of filtering out BMC_SoftwareServer CI's.

Essentially, you want to filter out all the "Child" CI's of a Host, I guess, such as BMC_OperatingSystem, BMC_SoftwareServer, etc.

Note: if you filter out CI types such as BMC_IPEndpoint, then the NetworkDevice and Printer nodes also will not create those kinds of CI's.

(That is probably what they want)

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Filter data to CMDB

Does that make it impossible to synchronize as separate nodes? Since what we want to achieve is to synchronize the hosts without dependencies, but in turn synchronize the SoftwareInstances as "root" nodes.

• 3. Re: Filter data to CMDB
              Lisa Keeler

What?  It sounds like they want the nodes without any relationships???????????

What would the data look like in BMC.ASSET?

The data certainly would not be compatible with any other data coming from other data sources, or with any BMC products that utilize the data.

Why in the world would they want that?

If I understand correctly, you would need to:

1) not implement the filter

2) disable most of the syncmapping patterns (for things you don't want)

3) write many new syncmapping patterns of your own (to sync an SI to whatever ... and without relationships?)

or:

1) not implement the filter

2) override many of the syncmapping patterns to remove the relationships?  Don't directly edit the syncmappings.  You would want an official "override".

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Filter data to CMDB

Yes, they only want the specific attributes of Host. And the (for example SoftwareInstance) as separate CIs.

• 5. Re: Filter data to CMDB
                  Stefan Hall

Before such a massive intervention into the oob functionality you should first take a step back.

What is the customer interested in? What does he actually want to achieve?

So far we only know the solution approach of your customer. Not such a good entry into such an intervention.

4 of 4 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Filter data to CMDB
                    Lisa Keeler

agree with Stefan.  Why do they want that?  What do they want to accomplish?

Such a mess, really.

Why do you ever want SoftwareInstance data (in the CMDB) without a relationship to the Host it is running on?

• 7. Re: Filter data to CMDB
                      Daniel Hudsky

Lucas, those certainly are some odd directives. One of the main reasons to put data into the CMDB (from any source) is to have a measurable service impact model.

There is no calculation possible without relationships. I think you're being led into a unrealistic model and I'd encourage you to challenge this "requirement".

Daniel

• 8. Re: Filter data to CMDB

They only want the attributes of the nodes, not the relationships. I honestly don't know why they want this to be like that, I just know they want to do this. I already tried not to do so, but they are determined to achieve this.