4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2019 5:36 AM by Markus Kruse

Best practice Appserver Types with NSH Proxy in use (MAS in VM-Env)?

Markus Kruse
      Share This:

Hello dear people,

is there something like a best practice? Over the last days I read myself through the documentation and a lot of comments but it seems I just don't get it.

For example i found a comment from april last year which "recommended":

You should not seperate instances, we normally recommend having config+nsh proxy for the user-facing connections and job+nsh proxy for a the jobs, rather than setting up additional instances"

According to this we would have a virtual machine appserver with the following RAM-Values:

Config-Instance (4GB, as recommended in doc) + NSH-Proxy-Instance (6-8GB, as recommended in doc)

Job-Instance (6-8GB, as recommended in doc) + NSH-Proxy-Instance (6-8GB, as recommended in doc)

So for the minimum recommended values this would be a 22GB RAM-devouring VM, with maximum recommended value 28GB RAM, OS-used RAM not even included.

On the other site i found "I don't think the doc thouches is much, but if you're running appservers as VMs, what many customers will do is create a number of 8-12GB VMs and put a single instance of the appserver on each. [...] it is not advisable to run more than a single instance on an appserver on a vm".

So is there a best practice guide to follow how to set up an all VM MAS environment with NSH-Proxy in use?

Greetings

Markus

• 1. Re: Best practice Appserver Types with NSH Proxy in use (MAS in VM-Env)?
          Bill Robinson

For example i found a comment from april last year which "recommended":

where ?  link ?

You should not seperate instances, we normally recommend having config+nsh proxy for the user-facing connections and job+nsh proxy for a the jobs, rather than setting up additional instances"

it's a bit out of context - maybe that's saying you shouldn't setup separate nsh proxy instances, but instead have the combined types.

So for the minimum recommended values this would be a 22GB RAM-devouring VM, with maximum recommended value 28GB RAM, OS-used RAM not even included.

no, you'd have 1 8gb config+proxy and 1 8gb job+proxy = 16gb of memory for the appserver instances and then another ~8gb for the os.

On the other site i found

where?  link ?

"I don't think the doc thouches is much, but if you're running appservers as VMs, what many customers will do is create a number of 8-12GB VMs and put a single instance of the appserver on each. [...] it is not advisable to run more than a single instance on an appserver on a vm".

that's not necessarily true.  it really depends on what's available on your hypervisors given that the memory and cpu need to be dedicated to the vms.  if you can dedicate the resources, 2-3 instances per system can be fine.

• 2. Re: Best practice Appserver Types with NSH Proxy in use (MAS in VM-Env)?
            Markus Kruse

Hello Bill,

the recommended comments I found were indeed somewhat out of context.

Since I got some Information in an open case regarding our application NSH Proxy Servers my questions regarding the sizing were cleared.

Thanks for your reply

• 3. Re: Best practice Appserver Types with NSH Proxy in use (MAS in VM-Env)?
              Bill Robinson

were you looking at any of our docs ?  can we make them more clear ?

• 4. Re: Best practice Appserver Types with NSH Proxy in use (MAS in VM-Env)?
                Markus Kruse

Hello Bill,

i was looking at the docs. The thing that confused me most was the part regarding multiple instances....

like we have a Server "Server1"

On this server we have 2 instances

instance1's name is "Server1_ConfNSH" and has two nodes: Config and NSH Proxy

Instance2's name is "Server1_JobNSH" and has two nodes: Job and NSH Proxy.

It is very clearly described that

config needs (if  I remember correctly) 6-8GB

NSH proxy: 4 GB

Job: 6-8 GB.

But it wasn't so clear to me what happens if one put together two of those roles.

Let's say providing memory isn't any problem at all.

I would guess:

Instance1 needs: 10-12 GB

Instance2 needs: 10-12GB

So that it would be 20-24GB memory for the virtual machine alone for appserver and let's say additional 4-8 for OS.

But as it seems I just misunderstood a thing and the values aren't just added together when adding roles together?