7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2019 4:01 PM by Matt Klein

Scalability - Assets and Ticket Volume

Matt Klein
      Share This:

My company has recently moved to Track-It! 2019 (Specifically we are running 20.19.3.72). Since making the transition and completing configuration, we are seeing repeated performance issues. Errors that force log-outs to users. The Asset Module frequently is slow or unresponsive to query/updates. Crashing is quite common (Help Desk module experiences 5-10 "restarts" in a work day, and the asset module is unresponsive for at least 2-4 hours out of an 8-hour work shift.

So my question is this: What is the intended use in terms of scalability for the program?

For reference, at present, we have just over 22,000 entries in the Asset Management module

We have, since launch (1 month ago), created just over 7,500 Tickets in the Help Desk module.

Are we at a use-level that is outside the scalability capability of the software?

Common errors we see:

Runtime Error

MetaData Init failed

Exception thrown when attempting to save a ticket

System.AggregateException

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException

System.Net.WebException

Failed to fetch detail - SocketException

Also most of our current dashboard functionality sections do not function, and are providing an error stating "Too many records returned for given criteria!"

• 1. Re: Scalability - Assets and Ticket Volume
          Sridhar Sadhasivam

Matt Klein, performance is a tricky area to comment on. The server's performance depends on various factors and we can't give a bulleted list to check that would improve things. Having said that, there are few parameters that we can readily look upon to resolve some of the mentioned issues. You had mentioned about the socket exceptions. This generally happens when there's a disconnect between the application and database. In some of the customer cases, we have seen that the deployment of more than one network card had resulted in such exceptions and we have to correct it. I would suggest you to open up a case with support and after collecting relevant details about the application and deployment parameters, we should be able to help you to use the application without any issues.

As far as the Dashboard, ensure that the queries that you had configured do not return more records (while having a graphical view), else will give the said message. Refer to https://communities.bmc.com/docs/DOC-118205

• 2. Re: Scalability - Assets and Ticket Volume
            Cris Coffey

I agree with Sridhar here. Opening a case with support would be the best option to try to look at logs and configuration to see why this is happening. For the dashboard, similar advice Sridhar gave also. If the chart is set to a view that returns more records than it can render in the given space to provide a useful image, the chart will show that message.

• 3. Re: Scalability - Assets and Ticket Volume
              Matt Klein

Thank you for the detailed response!

With regards to the errors, we will get a ticket open with support to investigate.

With regards to volume (tickets & assets), in your experience is there a quantity where degradation begins to occur? Is there a recommended total ticket count that, when reached, a reset of the database is recommended? Is there a max asset quantity the Inventory module is designed/recommended to handle?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Scalability - Assets and Ticket Volume
                Joe Packard

The most obvious question is “Are you using the SQL Express shipped with Track-It!?  Hopefully not as it is really there for evaluation and very small environments.

Second question; Are TI, TICM and SQL all on the same box as was the default during

Joe Packard

• 5. Re: Scalability - Assets and Ticket Volume
                  Matt Klein

Thanks for the reply Joe!

With regards to the first question and SQL Express, I am unsure at this time how it was set-up, but I will find out and get back to you.

In reference to your second question about the various services running on the same box, I think your question ended up being cut short. Did you mean to say default during setup?

Thank you!

• 6. Re: Scalability - Assets and Ticket Volume
                    Joe Packard

Hey Matt,

I apologize, but surgery and meds took me offline for a day or three.

Yes, to both.  The default installation is configured to install SQL Express unless you specify otherwise.  The Express edition has limitations in how much RAM it can use and other performance effecting factors.  In the default installation, both DBs are created on the same Express instance.  TI has a DB and BCM has a DB that synchronizes to TI.  Not an issue in smaller implementations.

So, with the default installation, you have the TI application, the TI DB, the TICM application and the TICM DB all running on the same box, fighting for the resources.  Increasing memory will have little effect on the SQL performance.

In an environment that needs to “Scale”, you may need to consider separating the DBs to a real SQL server, and in very large implementations where TICM will be delivering software installs and updates, patches, managing the configuration settings and auditing operational and regulatory policy (whew), you may want to separate that as well.

TICM can scale to (documented) over 100K nodes.  But there are configuration options that may be needed to fix your scaling issues.

Contact your account rep if you’d like to set up a more in-depth discussion.

JP

Joe Packard

• 7. Re: Scalability - Assets and Ticket Volume
                      Matt Klein

Thank you for the in-depth response Joe!