11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2019 9:17 AM by Carl Wilson

Database temporary Disconnected

Mohammad Rababah
      Share This:

When database disconnects for few seconds or minutes, it causes the AR System hanged and would only be resolved by restarting AR System on all app servers.

we will have down times due to frequent security and windows updates on the physical servers, and although the database unavailability duration is low (for moving the database from node to another) the unavailability duration in ITSM is High (for restarting AR service in all servers) and frequent.

hope we can solve it.

• 1. Re: Database temporary Disconnected
          Mohammed Gharaibeh

I believe that you mentioned the issue with its solution.

when database connectivity lost, this will cause AR service to stop after some tries to re-connect, therefore you will need to start the services in all AR servers in sequence to get the system back.

regarding to outage time you cannot reduce it as it is related to the service, you may only do one thing by disabling "Workflow Relationship" this will reduce the starting time for the service if it was enabled.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Database temporary Disconnected
            Stefan Hall

If I remember correctly, the AR server tries it about 20 minutes OOB before it gives up and you have to restart it.

Are you sure your DB is unreachable for only a few seconds?

• 3. Re: Database temporary Disconnected
              Marek Ceizel

Hello Mohammad,

I had similar discussion some time ago. Per default Ars will try 100 times each 30 seconds. that should be long enough. i think param is like db connection retry.

then also api timeout is important. that can be set to highest 300 = 5 minutes. should be also long enough.

anyway the system should stay consistent if the db will come back soon enough (bmc statement) also including ux apps.

but i was wondering about something else. we use mssql and always on. however the db admin says it can take up to 2 minutes to get the other db available. so my question is what does mean ALWAYS ON with 2 minutes outage? sometimes always on?     

regards

marek

• 4. Re: Database temporary Disconnected
                Nitesh Kumar

Hi Marek,

You can check with DBA for setting up Database level High Availability. I think nothing with AR.

Regards,

Nitesh

• 5. Re: Database temporary Disconnected
                  Marek Ceizel

Hello Nitesh,

Of course. We already asked

thanks a lot

Marek

• 6. Re: Database temporary Disconnected
                    Mohammed Gharaibeh

Dear Mohammed,

do you remember the DB setting when you installed your AR, there was an checkbox option for DB connectivity to be continuous and not to disconnect if there was no activities happening.

• 7. Re: Database temporary Disconnected
                      Marek Ceizel

Hello Mohammed Gharaibeh,

Which do you exacly mean ? I remember only always on for mssql.

regards

Marek

• 8. Re: Database temporary Disconnected
                        Mohammad Rababah

I checked with DB team, and it definitely takes less than 20 minutes.

High availability is already set up, and this is why downtime is quick. When any actions need to be performed on one of the physical servers, the database is moved to the other active node which causes the minor downtime mentioned.

• 9. Re: Database temporary Disconnected
                          Carl Wilson

Hi,

I would suspect that your setup is not correct as I have never seen an Always On / Mirrored solution cause issues when setup correctly (problems when not).

Remembering here that if it is HA then there will be one node as the Primary, Active DB (Read/Write) and one node as the Secondary (Read).

There will be an availability group connector in front, of both which the applications will be configured for (not the underlying Servers).

If setup correctly, the switch over is seamless to Remedy and should not be causing an issue.

MS SQL Availability Groups can be a little tricky to get correct with all the settings, Oracle RAC's similar.

With the switch over to the Java SQL driver with the latest versions, the settings accommodate the Always On features as long as you are connecting to the Availability Group correctly.

Cheers

Carl

• 10. Re: Database temporary Disconnected
                            Mohammad Rababah

Hi,

when Moving DB HA to secondary server, AR ITSM will not work till I restarted AR service.

are there any recommended parameter to add it or there are any configuration must be done.

as restarting AR have time till up and it's affected our business.

• 11. Re: Database temporary Disconnected
                              Carl Wilson

Hi,

this is something you need to check with the DBA's.

If setup correctly, you will have a "Listener" (Availability Group Name) to connect to via Remedy, which is specified in the ar.conf file.

It could be named something like "MSSQLAG", and each underlying server named MSSQL01, MSSQL02.

This "Listener" in MS SQL is the name of the Availability Group containing the Availability Replicas (usually 2 nodes, Primary and Secondary).

The Availability Group can contain one or more Databases, so you can HA all databases in an environment, and contains the configuration for how each individual SQL Server operates within the Availability Group.

The Availability Group Listener can be configured with a different port to the actual underlying SQL Servers, so as to distinguish a difference between each component, example:

• MSSQL01 > Port 1433
                              • MSSQL02 > Port 1433
                              • MSSQLAG > Port 3000

It can even have its own IP if you have multiple IP's configured in the Adapter configurations for the server (Networking).

If setup correctly, the switch over from Primary > Secondary or Secondary > Primary should be seamless to the end applications.

Once the setup for the HA in the Database is correct, you point the AR Servers to the Listener/Port and the Listener takes care of what connection it is talking to on the SQL side.

So, I would check with the DBA's to obtain the correct details for the Listener and to check that you have the correct details in your AR Server configurations.

Cheers

Carl