7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2019 6:41 AM by Mahendra Vakati

AFT to MFT Deployment/Upgrade - Failure Rate and How to Remediate

Dawna Moore
      Share This:

HI all, we are needing to move to MFT shortly and my advance testing of the remote deployment tool/method has resulted so far in about a 15% failure rate. One of the common errors is "Failed to connect or create Container exception Failed to connect to 127.0.0.1 port 39480: Connection refused, error code 1. " I have now opened 2 cases with BMC and besides telling me to manually uninstall/re-install the Agent and then try again to deploy MFT, I really have got nothing. Their development is looking at it but we have to sit on our hands. We have 100's of agents, ... manually logging in and remediating manually is really not a pleasant thought. Additionally concerning is the possibility of loosing connection profiles, some key based. Does anyone have any tips, thoughts or experiences with this error and the migration to MFT in general.

Thank you

• 1. Re: AFT to MFT Deployment/Upgrade - Failure Rate and How to Remediate
          Mark Francome

Hi Dawna,

Yes, you do feel like you are sending troops into battle with these automated upgrades; most will make it through but you're gonna' lose some on the way. I think a 15% failure rate is not too bad, compared to what I have seen in my system. I do know that the Agents can have issues with firewalls and different OS settings and the AFT/MFT accounts can run into things like special characters sitting inside passwords (they work fine in the password but will be corrupted if you try to migrate the account).

I was lucky, I probably only have 30 AFT/MFT Agents and the number of profiles would be about 150 or so. My solution was to export the profiles to another Agent while I was doing the upgrade. That way you save the profile and if disasters strikes you can import it from the backup location.

However, wherever you have a guy prepared to do manual labour, you'll usually find a cleverer guy scripting something to save 3 days' worth of clicking. Robert Stinnett has created this for Windows, it backups up the profiles and puts them on other Agents -

control-m/ctm_ftp_sync.bat at master · robertstinnett/control-m · GitHub

And you can see this conversation (one of several on this topic) in more detail here -

How to take backup of profiles in MFT control-m

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: AFT to MFT Deployment/Upgrade - Failure Rate and How to Remediate
            Dawna Moore

Hi Mark, thanks for this. Couple of questions though ... when you say back-up to another Agent, not sure why unless the agent you backing up "to" can handle all of the "work" that the agent your upgrading does (ergo FW rules open etc). Also I would imagine that you can only back up one agents relevant AFT files (one to one) on the back up agent.  Also additionally I am assuming if your backing up those files listed in the script ... that all there is to restoring them is simply placing them back in the original agents directory and restarting the AFT container (?). If that the case then one could then just export out these files, back them on on some drive somewhere and restore in case if issue ... again the devil is always in the details.

Thank you

-Dawna

• 3. Re: AFT to MFT Deployment/Upgrade - Failure Rate and How to Remediate
              Mark Francome

Hi Dawna,

Sorry, I probably wasn't very clear. In my case I am backing up (actually using the "export" feature) to another AFT/Agent, not to use the profile there but to keep a safe copy of the profile (in case of problems). I then do my upgrade (back on the original box) and, if I hit an issue that causes the profiles to be lost or corrupted, I can import the problem profiles back from the AFT/Agent box where we exported them to. The backed up profiles probably wouldn't work on the "copied to" Agent (as you say, FW rules would often block it and you might need some local userids setting up too) but they are only on the alternate location for safe-keeping.

Using this method you get to keep the passwords and passphrases intact (and encrypted) but you would need to copy any keys manually.

Did BMC give you any clues on the original issue?

Regards,

Mark.

• 4. Re: AFT to MFT Deployment/Upgrade - Failure Rate and How to Remediate
                Dawna Moore

Hi Mark, thanks for the clarification appreciated. I will ponder how we can incorporate this into our move forward strategy.

As far as BMC .. nope nothing. We have a remote with them later in the week, hopefully they can find something.

Thanks again

-Dawna

• 5. Re: AFT to MFT Deployment/Upgrade - Failure Rate and How to Remediate
                  Haw Kor

Dawna,

Based on the error, I'm going to hazard a guess as to what the issues may be. It looks like BMC has moved to a tomcat based architecture with most of their plugins and potentially MFT is no exception (we're still on AFT so I'm not speaking from actual MFT experience).  I have encountered similar messages with the database plugin in the new Application Pack (9.18.200 and up).  When this happens it seems the Application Pack webserver is down because the server.xml gets corrupted and when the agent tries to start a database job, it cannot connect to the application pack webserver.  Wondering if MFT also works in a similar manner now.  The application pack server.xml is located in %BMC_AGENT_HOME%\Default\CM\AP\apweb\conf, is there something similar under the CM directory for MFT?

Haw

• 6. Re: AFT to MFT Deployment/Upgrade - Failure Rate and How to Remediate
                    Dawna Moore

Hi Haw, sorry no, there is no "AP" folder in my installation ... I searched for "Tomcat" under the AFT directory and nothing was found. C:\Program Files\BMC Software\Control-M Agent\Default\CM\AFT.  Although as per usual there is no documentation on the architecture of AFT/MFT, I have this quasi educated "feeling" that MFT is really a wrapper around AFT with some added functionality.

Thanks

• 7. Re: AFT to MFT Deployment/Upgrade - Failure Rate and How to Remediate
                      Mahendra Vakati

Hi Dawna,

seems similar error is a known error with MFT/AFT with v9/v8.

Check this https://docs.bmc.com/docs/display/CTMMFT918200/Corrected+problems

Always the best way of implementing AFT/MFT is to use a SFTP server and mount the paths there. In this approach the maintenance is also become very easy.