1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2019 5:02 AM by Marek Ceizel

DWP Catalog Targeted Receive Task

Marek Ceizel
      Share This:

Hello everyone,

My examples are without details. I'm asking just about the principle of Receive Task.

1) We know that Receive Task is observing status of ticket which was created in previous step. e.g. for following two Work Orders:

So the Receive Task1 Work Status will observe the Work Order1 Work Status and Receive Task2 will observe Work Order2 Work Status (If the status changes in Stub form).

2) What If I need to do some Create Entry or Create Ticket after the two Work Orders and then observer the Status of Work Order1 ?

Then the Work Order1 is not anymore the previous ticket of the Receive Task. The Work Orders will have separate Entries in Stub Form but how should I say that I'm interested in Completion of Work Order1 ?

In our case we create 2 Work Orders and the an Entry in association form (so these work orders are associated). Then we want to wait till the the WO1 will be closed. (The wo2 is not important as it is closed immediately - fake Work Order). Any idea how to say Receive Task which Ticket to wait for ?

Thanks a lot for any tips.

Guys?: John Gallagher, Tony Chung

best regards

Marek

• 1. Re: DWP Catalog Targeted Receive Task
          Marek Ceizel

No answer or idea ? I'm quite astonished. This is quite important use case and the usage of receive task is really restricted as for now

Peter Adams - Peter can you please help (or who can?)

thanks a lot

Marek

• 2. Re: DWP Catalog Targeted Receive Task
            Christoph Klapetke

Hi Marek, I use the first approach which works for me after I got a hotfix from the support.

• 3. Re: DWP Catalog Targeted Receive Task
              Hugh Fairfield

Hi Marek,

If you aren't interested in tracking the second workflow, then you can create that workflow without setting the Correlation ID. In that case, a stub form isn't created and status updates aren't sent back to the receive task. Then you can just have a receive task for the first workflow.Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 11.02.15 AM.png

Does that meet your requirements?

thx!

Hugh

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: DWP Catalog Targeted Receive Task
                Marek Ceizel

Hello Christoph,

The first approach works but that doesn't meet my requirements. I want to associate the two work orders and then observer the status of the first one.

So the last step is the Create Entry in association form

thanks a lot

Marek

• 5. Re: DWP Catalog Targeted Receive Task
                  Marek Ceizel

Hello Hugh Fairfield,

This is a great idea. I like that. However it doesn't solve my problem totally. What If I'm Interested in both Work Orders ?

With the tip from you I get rid of the Stub form entry for Create Entry in Association form. However as I described my use case before:

I create two work Orders and associate them using Create Entry in association form. AFTER that I'm interested in both work Order statuses.

How can I define or set for whichWork Order I want to use the Receive Task ?

If this is not possible then you have to agree the receive task element has disadvantage. I think it should have parameter where I say which entry I want to check.

what do you think ?

thanks

Marek

• 6. Re: DWP Catalog Targeted Receive Task
                    John Gallagher

Hey Marek Ceizel

Been a while, hope all is well with you

I had a look at your diagram, would something like this work for you ?

External Activity Display id here is "Create Work Order with Ids1 > output > Work Order ID".

Here we're using "Track External Activity > Output > Activity Sub Status" to continue only when WO1 has completed.

Cheers,

John

• 7. Re: DWP Catalog Targeted Receive Task
                      Marek Ceizel

Hi John Gallagher,

Thanks a lot, I'm quite fine. Hope you too or even better

Firstly thank you for answer.

Secondly I LOVE IT . If this works, all doors are opened. Didn't really know the external activity action. btw It is also strange it requres correlation id as a get operation.... I will check it and write you.

Please let me use to have you in this thread and ask little off-topic thing where we struggle with support.

Create Change with id doesn't transfer attachment. I'm afraid this is known as only work order can...?

So we wanted to use create entry action on chg:worklog and add the attachment in second step. however create entry doesn't transfer attachment too. how to create change with attachment?

thanks a lot again

nice day

Marek

• 8. Re: DWP Catalog Targeted Receive Task
                        Marek Ceizel

John,

is it like instead of external activity i can use get entry from work order form and check by myself?

If not what i want just go to receive task.

Does that mean receive task is actually a blocking step waiting for any communication from itsm / stub form/ remoteaction.bat?

correct?

thanks

m.

• 9. Re: DWP Catalog Targeted Receive Task
                          Hugh Fairfield

Hi John,

There is an issue with the solution you propose. The receive task will put the process to sleep and will be woken up by calls to the remoteaction call back. It is based on the process correlation id. Process correlation id is different for each different branch on the process.  So when the work orders are created, it will have different process correlation id than what the process correlation id is of the receive task and the process won't resume. It may work with Create Remedy Work Orders are on the same branch, but there may be issues with the call back (I haven't tested having 2 work orders with 1 receive task).

As for the attachments on the Change Request, I'll have to look at that. Create Entry doesn't allow attachments I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Hugh

• 10. Re: DWP Catalog Targeted Receive Task
                            Marek Ceizel

thanks lot Hugh Fairfield.

what do you exactly mean by branch?

does this mean even the solution i proposed will not work? (i mean get entry from stub form and then check values and decide in exclusive gateway. not ok go to receive task)

I'm quite confused by the correlation id. receive task does't have this parameter. shouldn't receive task observe every reaction from itsm? i mean calls of remoteaction.bat....

that would be better. and we can then check what we want.

thanks a lot for taking care

marek

• 11. Re: DWP Catalog Targeted Receive Task
                              Marek Ceizel

you mean probably the first picture i posted. there are two "branches"?

so we can observe each ticket separately. that is ok.

the problem comes if i need to do something more after ticket creation (like associate them) and then check the ticket separately.

isn't there any possible solution? that ties our hands and makes worklow less flexible

• 12. Re: DWP Catalog Targeted Receive Task
                                Hugh Fairfield

Hi Marek,

Each branch is made by a different arrow from an parallel or exclusive gateway. A receive task doesn't have a process correlation id as an input, but it is a kay part of the receive task. When a Status change happens on the SB:ServiceRequestStub occurs, it triggers the remoteaction.bat / .sh to call back to the DWPC with a specific process correlation ID. DWPC uses the process correlation ID to find which receive task to wake up and continue processing.

This is what I'm thinking may work:

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 11.41.32 AM.png

Then you can use the exclusive gateway to do decide how to proceed. You would have the current status of the 2 work orders (via the 2 track external activities  actions after the receive task).

Cheers,

Hugh

• 13. Re: DWP Catalog Targeted Receive Task
                                  John Gallagher

Hey Hugh Fairfield

Great topic to discuss, have often wondered about this situation in the past. I uderstand the purpose of correlation ID which both Work Orders have set in this example. In terms of the above purpose (assoicating a specific Work Order), on my system the request completes as expected (only if WO1 is completed), otherwise it defaults to "In Progress".

Marek Ceizel haven't tested beyond this screnario you mentioned in your first graphic. I just did a create entry in a regular form then used external activity to track the specific WO which is used in the condition to close the request.

Cheers,

John

• 14. Re: DWP Catalog Targeted Receive Task
                                    Marek Ceizel

Hi Hugh,

great discussion. let me ask one thing.

proc correlation id is unique for each ticket/create entry, right?

so on which of the 3 proc correlation ids which will be generated by your exaple will the receive task trigger?

thanks

marek

1 2 Previous Next