2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2019 9:03 AM by Feli Brachthaeuser

NGL NGL.MVI1 version 1040  when in need to change the NGL Registry

Feli Brachthaeuser
      Share This:

Hello!

I just want to share a snippet.

Had to change the NGL registry to make it compliant to the naming standards.

It is defined in HLQ.&G..&SSID..DBCENV(NLGPIID) by parameter RD.

It seem the first time the DBC starts and the $490TRIG is run, this registry is allocated dynamically.

If later one changes the RD to point to a new datasets which is not existant yet, DBC will face problems stating that it doesn't find the NGL registry:

BMCNGL59283E NGL0REGA - REQUESTED REGISTRY IS NOT CATALOGED:      
      &HLQ..&G..&PIID.&SYSCLONE..RGRY  PIID                      
      BMCNGL59003W NGL0IR50: REQUEST CALL NGL0REGA FAILED WITH RC(8)    
      RSN(0XBA070009)                                                   

BMCNGL59003W NGL0AGNT: REQUEST START SERVICE AGNTS FAILED WITH RC(8)   

RSN(0XBA070009)                                                   
      BMCNGL59590I NGL CORE TERMINATION - TERMINATING ALL LOGSETS  PIID 
      BMCNGL59578I NPIID.&SYSCLONE.: NGL CORE TERM - LOGSET ALREADY TERMINATED  
      CTKN(0X143B1000000000000000000000000000)  PIID                    
      BMCNGL59002I NGL0TTSK(PIID): TASK IS TERMINATING  PIID           
      BMCNGL59116I NGL SUBTASK NGL9TTSK TERMINATING. TCB: 0X009C6490 PIID

After some research, I found this remark:

BMC recommends using the RD data set name that the installation creates for you.

If you change the data set name for the RD keyword in the NGLpiid member, you must ensure that the data set name is unique and allocate the data set using the SAMP member NGLREGDF. No current registry data will be migrated.

Using NGL registries - Documentation for Common mainframe infrastructure 2018 release - BMC Documentation

Running Job NGLREGDF from XXXSAMP did the job.

I wonder why it can allocate the registry in teh first place and why it doesn't alloc it dynamically the second time.

best regards,

Feli

• 1. Re: NGL NGL.MVI1 version 1040  when in need to change the NGL Registry
          Bill Blair

I do not understand what, precisely, is meant by the following:

| It seem the first time the DBC starts and the $490TRIG is run

A DBC address space is an MVS Started Task.

$490TRIG (as far as I know) is a batch JOB.

"Allocate" is an overloaded term. To some it means "define, allocate SPACE for, and create, and usually catalog" a data set. While that process is a typical (and usually non-confusing connotation), it is not technically correct. "Allocate" (per se) is what happens when a DD statement (or the equivalent SVC 99 Dynamic Allocation) is processed and an entry is made into the TIOT of some address space. Technically, "allocate" does not (or should not) imply "creation" or (since we are talking about a VSAM LINEAR Data Set) "definition" (i.e., IDCAMS DEFINE). Now it is possible to both DEFINE and ALLOCATE a VSAM data set in a DD statement [with DISP=(NEW,CATLG)], but as far as I am aware the DBC Started Task (STC) does not "DEFINE" its Registry repository Backing VLDS -- it merely dynamically allocates it [meaning that DYNALLOC / SVC 99 looks the base CLUSTER name up in the catalog to discover on which VOLumes it is cataloged, and then creates a TIOT entry for that data set, which DBC can then use as the Backing VLDS for its product Registry repository]. The DEFINE (creation and cataloging) of this Backing VLDS was done much earlier, perhaps even long ago [as far as I know], by the batch JOB that gets customized as JOB and member name $490TRIG.

The bottom line is that I assume that $490TRIG is run once, and once only, to DEFINE the Backing VLDS for the NGL Registry.

| I wonder why it can allocate the registry in teh first place

| and why it doesn't alloc it dynamically the second time.

It does attempt to dynamically allocate the Backing VLDS CLUSTER given its DSNAME [in NLGPIID?]. But the DBC STC does not DEFINE (create and catalog) the NGL Registry's Backing VLDS (the VSAM LINEAR CLUSTER). It _only_ ALLOCATES it (in the strict, technical sense of MVS allocation).

If you want to change the DSNAME of the Backing VLDS used for an NGL Registry, you can do so, but you will need to DEFINE it (using a JCL DD statement, or IDCAMS DEFINE). You will probably want to copy the contents of the OLD or former Backing VLDS into the new one (so you don't lose anything). The best way to do that is using the OSZRGTBR utility of RTCS, but it you do not need to enlarge the SPACE defined for the Backing VLDS, you could also simply use IDCAMS REPRO.

William Blair

• 2. Re: NGL NGL.MVI1 version 1040  when in need to change the NGL Registry
            Feli Brachthaeuser

Hello Bill,

The NGL registry is defined automatically as well as dynamically allocated by DBC.

But this of course works only the first time, when DBC comes up.

There is no DD statement anymore in DBC.

When changing the name of the NGL registry in order to be compliant with local nam

ing standards,one has to run a job.

I wanted to shre the job which needs to be run with the community:

BMC recommends using the RD data set name that the installation creates for you.

If you change the data set name for the RD keyword in the NGLpiid member, you must ensure that the data set name is unique and allocate the data set using the SAMP member NGLREGDF. No current registry data will be migrated.

best regards,

Feli