8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2019 1:56 AM by ABHAY BHAGAT

Why BSA uses Shavlik and not Microsoft links for patch catalog config

ABHAY BHAGAT
      Share This:

Why BSA uses Shavlik and not Microsoft links for patch catalog config

• 1. Re: Why BSA uses Shavlik and not Microsoft links for patch catalog config
          Bill Robinson

shavlik provides the metadata for the patches.

we use microsoft 'links' for the actual patches.

• 2. Re: Why BSA uses Shavlik and not Microsoft links for patch catalog config
            ABHAY BHAGAT

Does Microsoft does not provide the metadata for the patches , it is mentioned somewhere on Microsoft site that Devolper or Product company who are making the product for Microsoft may rely on Shavilik meta data ??

• 3. Re: Why BSA uses Shavlik and not Microsoft links for patch catalog config
              Bill Robinson

i'm not sure why that's relevant.  there are several 3rd party vendors that provide the same type of software to check for missing patches.  we use shavlik to perform analysis for missing patches because we've found it to be a superior tool for doing so, even compared to microsoft's own tools. 

• 4. Re: Why BSA uses Shavlik and not Microsoft links for patch catalog config
                ABHAY BHAGAT

Dear Bill,

When we go to a customer using SCCM/Microsoft and suggest BMC products to replace SCCM , where you  need to justify that why not Microsoft own tools then we  need to justification that why Shavilik or any other third party ,

If any where it is published please share the same ,

What I received a comment from my internal teams  that if we say BMC as a vendor  releases product patches every week/month/quarter  but for deploying them or finding missing patches in product   we should say BMC is not releasing a catalog properly hence I need to go to any third party vendor to get the BMC  product updates and rely on third party  for a BMC products patching

If someone passes the same statement for BMC products what we are  passing for Microsoft , need your comments on the response to be  shared .

Any justification with what BMC found in Shavalik better or  why Shavalik is choosed by BMC  as catalog provider for Microsoft patches.

Regards

Abhay

• 5. Re: Why BSA uses Shavlik and not Microsoft links for patch catalog config
                  Bill Robinson
                  If any where it is published please share the same ,

on ivanti's site ?

What I received a comment from my internal teams  that if we say BMC as a vendor  releases product patches every week/month/quarter  but for deploying them or finding missing patches in product   we should say BMC is not releasing a catalog properly hence I need to go to any third party vendor to get the BMC  product updates and rely on third party  for a BMC products patching

microsoft is not primarily a patch analysis vendor.  they make an os and some software products.  they release patches for those products.  while they do have some tools to check for missing patches, i'd argue their core business is not releasing analysis tools.  there are several 3rd parties that believe they can perform more accurate analysis than what microsoft's tools can do and provide addition value in reporting, orchestration, etc.  there are also several other software products that ivanti can check for - some adobe products, firefox, citrix, etc - should those vendors also be providing their own analysis tools to patch systems en-mass ?  does microsoft also analyze for and patch those products ?

If someone passes the same statement for BMC products what we are  passing for Microsoft , need your comments on the response to be  shared .

not really sure what you mean.  do you mean would there be an issue if a 3rd party patching product was checking for missing patches for BMC products ?  i don't see a problem w/ that.

Any justification with what BMC found in Shavalik better or  why Shavalik is choosed by BMC  as catalog provider for Microsoft patches.

i'm sure whoever your sales or partner contact is at bmc can provide this as well as a comparison of other functionality like software deploy, compliance, etc.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Why BSA uses Shavlik and not Microsoft links for patch catalog config
                    ABHAY BHAGAT

Thanks Bill for your responses, Will take inputs from here to answer internally to my management .

i'm sure whoever your sales or partner contact is at bmc can provide this as well as a comparison of other functionality like software deploy, compliance, etc.

If they were doing the same or would have given the correct response,  I don't have to ask these question here on communities .

• 7. Re: Why BSA uses Shavlik and not Microsoft links for patch catalog config
                      Bill Robinson
                      If they were doing the same or would have given the correct response

what response did they give ?

• 8. Re: Why BSA uses Shavlik and not Microsoft links for patch catalog config
                        ABHAY BHAGAT

Partner said this is what BMC has given , R&D/Product Manager Know why it is used ..

Later on we closed the discussion that it is only the catalog from Shavlik , Actual patches will be download from Microsoft only for Windows .

Thanks for your interaction and support