9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2019 3:50 PM by matthew behrens

Discovery Model to Existing CI Mapping

matthew behrens
      Share This:

Hello all,

Currently using Discovery to create actual models of my landscape but have an existing CMDB in Remedyforce with some very useful CI's with history that I would prefer not to dump.  How do I point a model I'm creating in Discovery to an existing model in the Remedyforce CMDB?  Another way to ask would be to ask how I can get a history or a replacement to an existing CI if I build out the model correctly in Discovery. 

Any help would be appreciated

• 1. Re: Discovery Model to Existing CI Mapping
          Lisa Keeler

This sounds like a discussion to have on a ticket with Support.

I don't think I understand any individual sentence in your question, sorry.

Breaking it down

Currently using Discovery to create actual models of my landscape

LISA>> when you say "models", do you mean Applications?  Or, do you just mean that you are using CMDB Sync?

LISA>>Are you using CMDB Sync to Remedyforce?  Or, to Atrium CMDB?

but have an existing CMDB in Remedyforce with some very useful CI's with history that I would prefer not to dump.

LISA> This sounds like you want to integrate some existing data in Remedyforce with something else... but what? 

LISA>  New data in RF?  Or, new data in Atrium CMDB?

LISA>  What CI type(s) is the history data found? 

How do I point a model I'm creating in Discovery to an existing model in the Remedyforce CMDB?

LISA> I'm not sure what you mean

Another way to ask would be to ask how I can get a history or a replacement to an existing CI if I build out the model correctly in Discovery.

LISA> Still don't get it

If you are sync'ing data from Discovery to RF, then your "existing/historical" data in RF will not be deleted or affected because the data from Discovery has some kind of identifier in RF which denotes that the data came from BMC Discovery.  (I'm not sure what that is off the top of my head).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Discovery Model to Existing CI Mapping
            matthew behrens

Models - Applications with links to the infrastructure that makes it up. (Servers, storage, etc.).  Models are made in BMC Discovery. 

CMDB Sync to Remedyforce.

Our Application CI's in Remedyforce have been made poorly.  Basically in the past, someone creates an Application Class CI and adds some information to it about owner, support analyst, PCI, PHI, etc.  There has been no linking of infrastructure to the Application CI, but many Change Records, Incident Records, etc have had the Application level CI linked.  Recently introduced the Discovery prodcuct with CMDB sync to the Remedyforce CMDB.  I am in the process of going in to Discovery and actually building out the Application(Model).  After the Model is built, it gets published into Remedyforce.  In many cases, I'm building out a Model in Discovery, for an Application that has an Application Class CI in the Remedyforce CMDB.  The Application CI in Remedy has history that I would like to retain, if possible, but have the new Model I create in Discovery take its place.  The Model has all of the relationships and is supposed to update automatically when new infrastructure is introduced which is supposed to keep me from having to manually update every time a new server is built. 

Your last sentance "If you are sync'ing data from Discovery to RF, then your "existing/historical" data in RF will not be deleted or affected because the data from Discovery has some kind of identifier in RF which denotes that the data came from BMC Discovery.  (I'm not sure what that is off the top of my head)."  I have no knowledge of linking these and this has not been part of either of the Discovery trainings i've taken.  I think this is the meat of what i'm trying to do, but have no idea how to create this identifier or link between them. 

• 3. Re: Discovery Model to Existing CI Mapping
              Brice-Emmanuel Loiseaux

The CIs and relationships that Discovery synchronizes to Remedyforce are identified using the Source attribute, set to "BMC Discovery". Discovery will then just consider these CIs/Rels for any sync operation to be run, for example resynchronization.

What reconciliation on Remedyforce can do to help you is unknown to Discovery.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Discovery Model to Existing CI Mapping
                matthew behrens

Is the "set to 'BMC Discovery'" option in Discovery or CMDB?  It sounds like there is no easy way to do this and I'm going to lose my history of the CI in Remedyforce in lieu of creating a model in Discovery.  Seems like there should be a better integration in two BMC products. 

• 5. Re: Discovery Model to Existing CI Mapping
                  Lisa Keeler

This is a not uncommon problem / question ... however, dealing with Remedyforce is the new part for me.

We have had the question regarding Atrium CMDB in the past.

The question, to recap:

1) You have manually created some (or many) BMC_Application CI's in Remedyforce.

Further, these BMC_Application CI's have relationships to other CI's such as Change Records and Incident Records

2) Now, you have Discovery, and you are creating those same Applications in Discovery UI

3) You will use CMDB Sync to Remedyforce

4) You want to know if you can get Discovery to update those manually previously-created BMC_Application CI's instead of creating new ones?

5) Or, if Discovery only creates new CI's, then how can you manage that?  Will you need to move the relationships over to the Discovery-created CI?

Regarding #4, that is almost impossible, and likely not recommended.

Discovery would have to believe it has created that CI.

When Discovery creates a CI, it sets the "Source" attribute = "BMC Discovery" (thanks, Brice)

Also, when Discovery creates a CI, it sets a particular "key" in the "Unique CI Source ID" attribute, and Discovery remembers that key.

And, Discovery "remembers" the InstanceId for the CI that it created.

All 3 things would need to be what Discovery expects it to be.

If those 3 things don't all match, but yet you changed the "Source" attribute to "BMC Discovery", then when you run a Resync, you run the risk that Discovery will decide to set "Mark As Deleted" = True on your manually-created BMC_Application CI.  And, that could cause all relationships to get dropped.

So, it would be impossible or at least very difficult, and not recommended to "trick" Discovery into thinking that your CI's are the ones it wants to update.

The thing you need to worry about is this:  As soon as Discovery sets "Mark As Deleted" = True on your CI, all the relationships are dropped.  (Discovery doesn't cause the relationships to be dropped .. but the CMDB does.)

I don't know enough about Reconciliation yet in RF to know what to say about that. You might want to ask Remedyforce community or Support about this question.

I hope to know more in a week...after a discussion with a RF expert.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Discovery Model to Existing CI Mapping
                    Brice-Emmanuel Loiseaux

Agree with Lisa. The way to solve this use case is via reconciliation in BMC Helix Remedyforce

Browsing documentation I see Managing reconciliation - Documentation for BMC Remedyforce 20.18.01 - BMC Documentation

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Discovery Model to Existing CI Mapping
                      matthew behrens

I'm looking into reconciliation.  Any other advice on reconciliation outside of what the document states? 

• 8. Re: Discovery Model to Existing CI Mapping
                        Lisa Keeler

The doc says you have to configure the reconciliation rules.

I imagine that includes:

. What attributes make a class unique

. Which data source takes precedence during a merge

The atrium CMDB has default settings OOTB.  If RF doesn’t have that, you could open a ticket to get those default settings from BMC because they would be very useful.

Examples:

ComputerSystem uses some combination of attributes such as SerialNumber, Name, TokenId for Identification and Merge

Application probably only uses the Name attribute

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Discovery Model to Existing CI Mapping
                          matthew behrens

This looks logical.  I'm hoping to be able to merge the data from the models I am creating and retain the history from the CI.  I'm already working with Remedyforce support on this.  Appreciate the help.