1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2020 8:05 AM by Jerome Walker

First Call Resolution - Capture Metrics in Smart Reporting from ITSM Incident Management

Jerome Walker
      Share This:

Hello. I have been tasked to create a report in Smart Reporting that tracks number of Incidents created by (Tier 1) telephone helpdesk personnel, the number of those Incidents Resolved at that First Call (First Call Resolution), and the percentage of (ratio of) First Call Resolution/Submitted Incidents. There seem to be problems impeding this process:

1. In Smart Reporting there is a time difference by days calculated field and one by seconds also, but they don't seem to help.

2. "Submitter" sometimes has "Remedy Application Service" in the field, which seems like a WORTHLESS and INACCURATE piece of data that just RUINS metrics. (AR_ESCALATOR doesn't exactly help either.)

I see that other BMC applications seem to have a First Call Resolution checkbox? Does ITSM have it, in Incident Management and/or elsewhere?

Even if there is no such button in Incident Management in ITSM, I am guessing the customer would even accept a way to capture numbers of Incidents resolved and  submitted by these personnel, and Resolved within a certain number of minutes... not hours or days but minutes of Submission.

Thank you very much,

Jerry

Jerome Walker

• 1. Re: First Call Resolution - Capture Metrics in Smart Reporting from ITSM Incident Management
          Syed Reza

Jerome,  I have created a similar report in our environment. Per BMC, below is how you can calculate FCR:

100 x (incidents resolved without being transferred)/(incidents resolved)

incidents resolved without being transferred =

select count(*) from the HPD:HelpDesk form
          where
          ('Contact Company'= $ Company$)
          AND ('Last Resolved Date' >=") + $startDate$) + ")
          AND ('Last Resolved Date' <") + $endDate$) + ")
          AND ('Group Transfers' = 0)

incidents resolved =

select count(*) from the HPD:HelpDesk form
          where
          ('Contact Company'= $ Company$)
          AND ('Last Resolved Date' >=") + $startDate$) + ")
          AND ('Last Resolved Date' <") + $endDate$) + ")

For more info: check below link:

Viewing service delivery statistics in Smart IT - Documentation for Remedy with Smart IT 19.02 - BMC Documentation

Syed

4 of 4 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: First Call Resolution - Capture Metrics in Smart Reporting from ITSM Incident Management
            Sinisa Mikor

Hello Jerome,

which time difference were you trying to calculate?  It is true that there are only two versions of DATEDIFF function offered if Formula Type is set to Pre-Defined, and that they don't let one use CurrentDate() as either Start Date or End Date, but difference can be calculated by changing datetime values into timestamps by simple division by 1 (e.g. CurrentDate() / 1 - `HPD:Help Desk`.`Start Date` / 1), subtracting them to get difference in seconds and setting column formatting to whichever unit one needs (eg. if Format is set to Hours and Minutes, and Unit Selection is set to Seconds, column will display difference in hours:minutes).

• 3. Re: First Call Resolution - Capture Metrics in Smart Reporting from ITSM Incident Management
              Darren Capulong

Hi Syed,

I'm a new Remedy Admin and I've been trying to run reports for the first couple months we've been live. I came across your post about calculating FCR, and I'm a little confused about where this was entered. The calculated field tool in Smart Reporting doesn't seem to take the entries that I've tried out. Is there a spot in ITSM that will allow me to use SQL to work with data in Remedy?

Thanks,

Darren

• 4. Re: First Call Resolution - Capture Metrics in Smart Reporting from ITSM Incident Management
                Syed Reza

Hi Darren, We are on Remedy 9.1.02 and our requirement was to calculate FCR for Incidents tickets for each month in 2019. Incidents tickets has "Group Transfers" field that captures if the ticket is transferred from Help Desk group to another support group. If this field has 0 then the ticket was not transferred, otherwise it was transferred. I used few calculated fields to build FCR report. Below is the SQL query that gave me idea how to build it. Let me know if you still need help:

Select  DATEPART(YYYY,(Last_Resolved_Date)) AS Year

,DATEPART(mm,(Last_Resolved_Date)) AS MonthNumber

,SUM(CASE WHEN Group_Transfers = 0 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) AS FCR_Count

,COUNT(*) AS Total_Resolved

From HPD_Help_Desk

Where Contact_Company = <Contact Company>

AND Last_Resolved_Date >= <Start Date>

AND Last_Resolved_Date <= <End Date>

GROUP BY Year, MonthNumber

ORDER BY Year, MonthNumber

Syed

• 5. Re: First Call Resolution - Capture Metrics in Smart Reporting from ITSM Incident Management
                  Darren Capulong

Thanks for getting back to me, Syed. I think what I'm still lost on is where I would entry free hand SQL. The closest thing In both ITSM and Smart Reporting I've seen is the qualification builder. Did you happen to use some sort of DET to pull the data out of Remedy to work on elsewhere?

• 6. Re: First Call Resolution - Capture Metrics in Smart Reporting from ITSM Incident Management
                    Jerome Walker

Hi Sinisa. The time difference between Submitted and Last Resolved. And I did all of that stuff and it gave me an error, I guess because Smart Reporting just doesn't like people who try to use it. I gave up on all of that rabbit hole time diff or date diff or what the heck ever diff and just went with this:

Individual Transfers < 2 AND Group Transfers < 1

Also, Customer needed FCR by EACH TECHNICIAN, not the ENTIRE SUPPORT GROUP... (I apologize for the snarkiness, but this was a very frustrating problem and it SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ROCKET SCIENCE) so I had to query using Submitter, listing each and every technician, but you CANNOT use Assignee, trust me, you can't. I had to get number of tickets submitted by each person within the calendar month, then a sub query to get number of tickets submitted and number of Last Resolved by each person within the calendar month, then get the ratio of Last Resolved to Submitted in percent.

When a ticket is routed to another Support Organization, it NEVER gets routed back, as these people are Tier 1 ONLY. So the method worked and the Customer now thinks I am the best thing since sliced bread.

Thanks! Jerry

• 7. Re: First Call Resolution - Capture Metrics in Smart Reporting from ITSM Incident Management
                      Stefan Hall

Hi Jerome,

good approach. But keep in mind that the service desk can also immediately assign the ticket to another support group and only then save it.

Then Group Transfers are still 0, only it is no longer an FCR

• 8. Re: First Call Resolution - Capture Metrics in Smart Reporting from ITSM Incident Management
                        Jerome Walker

Time difference between Submitted and Last Resolved does not work for me. It gave me an error, I guess because Smart Reporting just doesn't like people who try to use it. I gave up on all of that rabbit hole time diff or date diff or what the heck ever diff and just went with this:

Also, Customer needed FCR by EACH TECHNICIAN, not the ENTIRE SUPPORT GROUP... (I apologize for the snarkiness, but this was a very frustrating problem and it SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ROCKET SCIENCE) so I had to query using Submitter, listing each and every technician, but you CANNOT use Assignee, trust me, you can't. I had to get number of tickets submitted by each person within the calendar month, then a sub query to get number of tickets submitted and number of Last Resolved by each person within the calendar month, then get the ratio of Last Resolved to Submitted in percent. Making the queries list individual submitters just means that your customer needs to let you know when they have a personnel change. That's life. It's not my fault that the good people at Yellowfin couldn't comprehend the concept of needing FCR by each person in at group and not just a whole group. Imagine a supervisor wanting performance metrics on each individual employee that works for him/her compared to the other employees.

Forgive me, but once again, this FCR metric was a pain in the backside because of the datediff, timestamp, minutes and seconds and timediff rabbit hole and it was pretty frustrating.

If anyone else needs to get FCR, use this method. Don't bother with Date Differences and Time Differences. Smart Reporting just laughs in your face if you try it, trust me.

My method is the method to end all methods. I am now the King of FCR. And, use less than, like I did. And, do it like I did with allowances for 1 Individual Transfer. Don't ask me why. I'll give you the best answer here: Because either ITSM or Smart Reporting has a bizarre way of calculating Individual Transfers by the Submitter. I don't know why. Ask someone else if you want to know why. I don't know. I don't think this applies to a person who is not the Submitter, but I don't know and I didn't need to know for FCR, of Course. I plan to mark this question as answered.

Peace,

Jerry

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: First Call Resolution - Capture Metrics in Smart Reporting from ITSM Incident Management
                          Jerome Walker

Thanks Stefan! I accounted for it!

and also query by individual Submitter, not by Support Group.

My solution is in my response to myself.

Cheers!

Jerry

P.S. Oh I see what you are saying. Don't worry, I think they know to save it BEFORE they assign it to their ticket manager, who is in another Support Group, but same Support Organization.

Jerry

• 10. Re: First Call Resolution - Capture Metrics in Smart Reporting from ITSM Incident Management
                            Stefan Hall

Do that.

It was just a hint that your method gives erroneous results in certain constellations, if you only consider the two transfer fields.

We have added a match between owner group and assignee group and the error is gone.

For all those who don't need it that much, your adjustment is sufficient.

Happy New Year

• 11. Re: First Call Resolution - Capture Metrics in Smart Reporting from ITSM Incident Management
                              Jerome Walker

Hi Stefan. I would have done exactly that, except that by policy our company assigns the first response ticket manager as owner group for every single ticket for the life of the ticket, and the people who answer the phones are in the same support org but in a different group, so I couldn't have done it. But for everyone else, then yes, do that, and then if I'm not mistaken your wouldn't have to set your query for individual technicians instead of support group.

Cheers!

Jerry

• 12. Re: First Call Resolution - Capture Metrics in Smart Reporting from ITSM Incident Management
                                Jerome Walker

That's just one of the reasons that my task of creating this report was getting a root canal.

Jerry

• 13. Re: First Call Resolution - Capture Metrics in Smart Reporting from ITSM Incident Management
                                  Jerome Walker

Now I don't know which one to mark correct. Do I need to mark one correct or should I keep the question open for people needing help with this in the future?

• 14. Re: First Call Resolution - Capture Metrics in Smart Reporting from ITSM Incident Management
                                    Stefan Hall

Mark your answer as correct, my maybe as helpful and others will find help faster.

If you leave the question open, it will never be closed again, and someone will keep coming back to see if they can/must help.

1 2 Previous Next