Both parent and child categories must be displayed in Self Service to successfully create the category tree.
- If the Display in Self Service check box is selected for child categories of a category, you cannot clear this check box for the parent category.
- If you select the Display in Self Service check box for a category and save the category, this check box is automatically selected for the parent categories of the category.
Please refer following documentation link for more details
Also you can vote for the idea for Self service Category view from below mentioned link
1 of 1 people found this helpful
Hi Chris Troyer
If you are ok with not showing the parent categories in any record then you can somehow achieve this.
1. make the parent categories unavailable for modules from RF Admin
2. In your record form when you type the text it will then always show you the child categories
And if you do not want to hide the Parent categories then i think for auto-populate option to show it like a tree structure which we show it in our Self Service 3 (below screen shot), please raise an idea.
3 of 3 people found this helpful
One of the ways to make it easy with type ahead option would be to name categories like, you can also put validation rule using this to check for - in every category for staff.
This will make it easy to type swell as reporting
Act Mgt- Change Access
Audit - External
Audit - Internal
Audit - NCUA
Add modify - Comm - Call recording
Comm - Cisco phone
2 of 2 people found this helpful
I have tried your suggestion and removed the Parent Categories from the Incident and Service Request modules.
- Parent Categories are hidden from the auto-populate suggestions in the console, but still appear in the file structure when clicking on the magnifying glass to select a category which is helpful for organization.
- Parent Categories still appear in Self Service 3.0 to help organize the selections.
- If you use have an Input on a Request Definition which prompts for Category, the lookup selection does not display any categories because the Parent Categories are not associated with Service Request. Staff effectively cannot select a Category to complete the Request Detail.
- If a Self Service user selects a Parent Category they receive the message "Error: The selected category is not available for this module. Please select another category." This is somewhat vague and it is not immediately clear that they need to select a child category. At this time I have chosen to remove Category from the Incident submission form to avoid this confusion.
Right now I think the positives outweigh the negatives and we will continue with this configuration. Ultimately I think your suggestion to implement the Self Service 3.0 tree structure for auto-completes in the console would be the best solution, as we would not have to disable the Parent Categories for Incident and Service Request and we could rely on a validation rule instead. Here is a link to the idea for this to be implemented: Make console Category tree just like Self Service Categories
Thank you all for your input!
Hi Chris Troyer
Its good to hear that somehow your use case is resolved not fully though.
Yeah even if you hide parent categories those are still shown in the lookup pop-up which is intentionally done to get the idea of Parent-Child structure however user will not able to save the record with parent categories and yes as you mentioned other cons are also there. Implementing the idea would address these cons too. Hope to get highest votes for this idea soon n so get implemented soon.