13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2019 7:26 AM by Timothy Mobley

Multiselect Dropdown Field

Timothy Mobley
      Share This:

Is it possible to create a mult-select dropdown field in Remedy Developer Studio? I only see options for a regular drop-down, radio buttons or individual checkboxes. The checkboxes would be ok, but I need one field which stores multiple values. These seems like a pretty basic thing, but I haven't been able to find anything about it in the documentation.

• 1. Re: Multiselect Dropdown Field
          Christian Smerz

You can create a menu and attach to a field and have the behavior of that menu append selections rather than replace.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Multiselect Dropdown Field
            LJ LongWing

Timothy,

I believe what you are looking for is a bit field, where each bit represents a different value....while this field type is common, there isn't an implementation that uses it unfortunately

• 3. Re: Multiselect Dropdown Field
              Mohammad Rehman

You got the better answers above, If you are looking the field like LJ mentioned you can manipulate by adding multiple check box fields and let the user select one or more or all check boxes and represent the user like its one field but actually you store them multiple fields. It would be easier to maintain and you can also manipulate in hidden field all the selected values for reporting purpose.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Multiselect Dropdown Field
                Vikas Mahamuni

Hi Timothy,

You can think of using table and set the below properties it will allow you to select multiple rows along with the check boxes. You need to add dropdowns as an individual rows:

Thanks

• 5. Re: Multiselect Dropdown Field
                  Timothy Mobley

I like your solution Vikas, but I haven't worked with tables much in Developer Studio and am not seeing how to add the drop-downs to individual rows. Under Property > Attributes > Tree/Table Property, I see where to add fields to table columns, but not rows.

• 6. Re: Multiselect Dropdown Field
                    Timothy Mobley

That seems pretty straight-forward, Christian. But once appended, how would a user then delete if they needed to? (Because I want to standardize this input, I don't want the user typing or manually deleting in this field.) ...I'm very surprised there isn't just a multi-select drop-down field. It's a pretty common thing to need.

• 7. Re: Multiselect Dropdown Field
                      Sinisa Mikor

There wouldn't be any actual dropdowns; instead, you'd have a table with only two columns -- one for check box, and another to hold option which would have appeared in actual dropdown -- so you'd have to list all options in some form and use qualification for this table to fetch all "options" you wish to display.  You could play around with visualization to make it seem that it is not a table, but a dropdown as well.

• 8. Re: Multiselect Dropdown Field
                        Timothy Mobley

Sinisa - thanks for the clarification. I did add a drop-down to the table, as Vikas mentioned, in Property > Selections, but it doesn't show any of the drop-down values I have set. When you say "use qualification for this table to fetch all options" where are these qualifications set? I don't see anything in the table properties.

• 9. Re: Multiselect Dropdown Field
                          Sinisa Mikor

Tables display requested columns from select records from specified form -- look at Attributes => Tree/Table Properties and you'll see Form Name (which defines data source) and Qualification (which enables you to select which records to display).  For example, if table used CTM:People as data source, qualification were set to 'Company' = $Company$ AND 'Department' = $Department$ AND 'Profile Status' = "Enabled", and only Full Name was added to Table Columns, table would display full names of all active ("Enabled") employees of provided company who work in provided department.  Enabling multiple row selection and checkbox column would add another column of checkboxes so that user could, in this example, select multiple people at once.

• 10. Re: Multiselect Dropdown Field
                            Vikas Mahamuni

Hi Timothy,

For using table fields, please create a regular form store your drop-down values into that regular form.

Use this regular form in table attributes, you can also define the qualification, add column in same window:

Thanks

• 11. Re: Multiselect Dropdown Field
                              Timothy Mobley

I see what you're saying and that'd be really useful, but is way more complex than I need. All I need is a simple table field with a list of items I can select. I'd have to create (and maintain) a separate CI record for each item I want to list in my table, then reference it in the Tree/Table Property, when all I want is the following:

Hardware Platforms
                              Platform 1
                              Platform 2
                              []Platform 3
                              []Platform 4

Does Developer Studio not let you just create a simple table and statically enter values (as opposed to looking up from other forms)?

• 12. Re: Multiselect Dropdown Field
                                Sinisa Mikor

Not really since table is just another type of visualization, but you could get creative when supplying options -- hardware platforms, for instance, may appear as part of categorization in product catalog which is already (supposed to be) available and hopefully actively managed by someone.

• 13. Re: Multiselect Dropdown Field
                                  Timothy Mobley

I just realized something about the table Vikas and Sinisa have been trying to help me with. I created a new regular form in Developer Studio, like Vikas suggested and made all the entries I need, then referenced it in the Tree/Table Property like Sinisa said. Saved it, flushed the Mid Tier cache, and viewed it in the browser. By default it only shows the column header (no rows), so I thought it wasn't working. But I noticed the little 'sort' arrow was pointing up and clicked the header column (switching the arrow to point down) and all the rows appeared! Now all I need to do is figure out how to make that appear by default. I tried saving my table 'Preferences' with the rows visible, but each time I open the form, the rows are hidden.