4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2019 11:08 AM by Eric Plunk

BMC Helix Discovery vs BMC Discovery

Eric Plunk
      Share This:

Judging by Overview - Documentation for BMC Helix Discovery - BMC Documentation , it seems Helix Discovery is cloud-based and does data center discovery.

Maybe I misunderstood, and maybe I missed the marketing material for Helix Discovery.  Here are my questions:

1.  what are the differences between the two products?

2.  if we have BMC Discovery, do we need BMC Helix Discovery?

Thanks,

Eric

• 1. Re: BMC Helix Discovery vs BMC Discovery
          Brice-Emmanuel Loiseaux

1. BMC Discovery and BMC Helix Discovery have the same goal, discovering your estate. The difference is that Discovery is an on-premise software, so has to be installed and managed on your estate by your team. BMC Helix Discovery is a service hosted in the cloud and managed by BMC team. You have to install on your estate the windows software named Outpost, responsible to hold the credentials vault (your credentials won't move out of your company) and to scan all your estate. All the rest is handled by the Helix Discovery service that you can access and drive using the Helix Discovery UI.

2. The good question is to know if you want to operate Discovery or use a service that is operated by BMC.

4 of 4 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: BMC Helix Discovery vs BMC Discovery
            Eric Plunk

Thank you for the explanations.  If one solution is more affordable and if our parent company wants to save money while maintaining discovery quality, then maybe this brings some options.  For now, I enjoy managing on-premise Discovery.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: BMC Helix Discovery vs BMC Discovery
              Duncan Grisby

In case it was not already obvious, BMC Discovery and BMC Helix Discovery are basically the same product -- they do the same things, in mostly the same way. Almost all the capabilities are identical between the two. The difference is the deployment model.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: BMC Helix Discovery vs BMC Discovery
                Eric Plunk

Duncan, the similarities were too identical.  I wasn't sure if Helix was the next generation of Discovery, like a rename of the product instead of incrementing the version.  Like when BMC ADDM became BMC Discovery.

I think it would have helped the Helix information if it clarified the differences between the two products.

1 of 1 people found this helpful