12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2019 6:44 PM by Brendan Murray

Remote Monitoring

Saddam Banihani
      Share This:

Hi,

One of our customer has TSOM, Where it is used PA and remote monitoring to monitor some servers.

i have some questions about this situation:

*How i can know the number of servers that be monitored remotely?

* the different between monitoring by PA and Remote Monitoring In terms of things that are monitored?

* The TSIS do the remote monitoring, if i want to change this to another server , is following steps correct or not?

-uninstall PA on TSIS server.

-install PA on the new servers.

-create KM to monitor servers remotely by using the new server host name.

Thanks

Saddam Bani Hani

• 2. Re: Remote Monitoring
          Saddam Banihani

Hi Roland Pocek,

Thank you for your support.

Please, Can you answer the following?

1- In this customer environment  the 2 TSIS (one have Linux & another one have Windows) responsible to make remote monitoring. this situation is normal or we must change these servers and use  another dedicated servers?

2- In the same Environment i didn't see any Infrastructure Policies that responsible for Remote Monitoring (Monitor Profile), but the remote monitoring is happen?

Thanks

Saddam Bani Hani

• 3. Re: Remote Monitoring
            sabari yadavilli

Hi Saddam,

I have small query, please clarify.

for Question 1. TSIS is used for remote monitoring? or there is 2 TSIS servers one is responsible for Linux servers and another one is for Windows right?

TSIS is helpful to connect the PA's with Truesight, so all the linux PA's connecting to one IS and all windows PA's connecting with another IS right..? From these Agents there might be one agent on which the Remote Monitoring KM is installed and configured.

for Question 2. can you please check the pconifg of the PA, for what are the default loaded KM's? and what are all the configured rules on the PA..

Regards

Sabari Yadavilli

• 4. Re: Remote Monitoring
              Saddam Banihani

Hi Sabari,

I am very sorry for this misunderstanding from me. i new in TrueSight

I haven't any documents to describe how the system was built in this environment.

So, i want to describe my issue from starting:

Truesight system monitor many devices (394 device):

- 73 devices have PA

- BUT another devices haven't PA. (That mean these devices it is monitored remotely? and How i can know what is the server that do the             Remote monitoring for these servers?

Thanks

Saddam Bani Hani

• 5. Re: Remote Monitoring
                sabari yadavilli

Hi Saddam,

No worries, i will help on that. I came to know that you are new to tool.

okay got your point, can you please let me know are you receiving any alert from those server which doesn't have PA on it. if so send me the alert baroc of any alert which is belongs to the Non PA server. Means any alert, copy from the TSIM operations console and save in notepad with extension "alert.baroc". send that file on sabari.y@hotmail.com by reviewing that i can help you how to find from where it's getting monitored remotely.

Regrads

Sabari Yadavilli

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 6. Re: Remote Monitoring
                  Saddam Banihani

Hi Sabari,

Thank you for your support.

yes, I receive Events from those servers, tomorrow i will send the required to your email.

Best regards

Saddam Bani Hani

• 7. Re: Remote Monitoring
                    Saddam Banihani

Hi Sabari,

I send to you the Alert.baroc  from my personal email:  saddam.banihani@hotmail.com 

Thanks

Saddam

• 8. Re: Remote Monitoring
                      sabari yadavilli

Hi Saddam,

As i sent you mail, with findings. You can refer the mc_origin value and that will be your PA. as mentioned in the mail can go to query console on the server and then observe the ruleset applied on that agent. you will get all the details like theresholds, km's and so on...

Reagards

Sabari Yadavilli

• 9. Re: Remote Monitoring
                        Brendan Murray

Hi Saddam,

Yes, the 321 devices in your environment that do not have agents on them are being monitored remotely. In TSOM, the most common remote monitoring methods are:

1. For virtual machines, monitoring through the virtualization layer, e.g. VMware vSphere. If you you are using the vSphere Knowledge Module in your environment, that is probably how the devices without agents are being monitored.
                        2. For physical machines, you can use the remote monitoring feature of the operating system knowledge modules (Windows, Linux, Unix, etc.). This method can also be used for virtual machines if you are not monitoring them through the virtualization layer.

If none of your Infrastructure Policies appear to be using the Remote Monitoring profile, I suspect you must be monitoring through the virtualization layer. If your virtualization technology is VMware, look for an Infrastructure Policy that uses the VMware vSphere solution. If you use something else, like Hyper-V or KVM, look for a policy that uses the BMC monitoring solution for that technology.

Regards,

Brendan

4 of 4 people found this helpful
                        • 10. Re: Remote Monitoring
                          sabari yadavilli

Thanks Brendan,

For the remaining KM details as well. I didn't think in this way.

Hi Saddam,

As Said by Brendan, i checked the Alert Baroc which you shared. That alert triggered from the VSM KM as you can see the mc_object and mc_object_class they belongs to VSM KM and the message also for VCENTER availability status.

Regards

Sabari Yadavilli

• 11. Re: Remote Monitoring
                            Saddam Banihani

Hi Brendan & Sabari,

Thank you for your support and all these clarifications.

Dear Brendan,

Many thanks for the clarifications about the remote monitoring types. i was think the remote monitoring just happen through Virtual layer and we can't monitor the physical servers remotely. but now it is clear.

Actually, we have VMware vSphere Technology and i found the VMware vSphere solution.

Thanks

Saddam Bani Hani

• 12. Re: Remote Monitoring
                              Brendan Murray

You're most welcome, Saddam. I'm glad I was able to help.

Regards,

Brendan