12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2019 3:42 PM by Cathy Grant

Need feedback - Linking tickets to other tickets when there are widespread outages or issues

Cris Coffey
      Share This:

We are looking into implementing this request:Ability to link existing tickets to Parent ticket in TI2018

Here is the basic use case example:

• Something happens causing a widespread network outage
      • Multiple users call in and register Tickets because of the issue
      • While looking into the issue, the Technician determines it is all related to a particular network Switch
      • This technician needs to somehow group all the tickets that have come in under a single ticket for the switch issue
      • This way the technician can work on the problem and when it is resolved, close that 1 ticket which will then close all the related tickets.

While looking at this, we have made the decision to allow normal Tickets to be linked to another Ticket instead of relying on assignments like the old Track-It! versions did. This will allow the top level Ticket or the attached Ticket to have that relationship but still have their own assignments if needed.

The main question we have is about the naming of these new items.

1. What would you call Ticket that becomes the main ticket to which the others are linked?
      2. What would you call those Tickets that are linked under that top level Ticket?
        • 2. Re: Need feedback - Linking tickets to other tickets when there are widespread outages or issues
          Cris Coffey

I don't think we ever officially called them Parent and Child Tickets in Track-It!, but Work Orders and Assignments. Which we will still have in the form of Tickets and Assignments. But if I understand you correctly, you would prefer a Ticket that represents a major outage or issue to be referred to as simply a "Parent Ticket" and the linked ones to be simply referred to as "Child Tickets". Is that correct?

• 3. Re: Need feedback - Linking tickets to other tickets when there are widespread outages or issues
            Anthony Brown

Correct, I believe they were color coded like green and pink or something along those lines previously. The difference with the current Ticket/Assignment method is that you cant easily link/sync an existing ticket UP to an existing ticket (and subsequently have the Child Ticket closed when the Parent Ticket is closed) you can only create/link things(assignments) going "down" which is not helpful for spread/related issues that multiple inbound requests can come for.

Assignments are great, but being able to tie tickets together to a "parent" ticket would be tremendously helpful.

• 4. Re: Need feedback - Linking tickets to other tickets when there are widespread outages or issues
              Ken Soszka

I like Parent Ticket / Child Ticket too, but I can see there being confusion between that and Ticket / Assignment in 2019. What I see with many of the Track-It! customers that I work with is that they already are used to referring to Work Order / Assignment in 11.4, as Parent Ticket / Child Ticket. So, in 2019 they automatically refer to Tickets / Assignment as Parent Ticket / Child Ticket - even though an Assignment in Track-It! 2019 is not a technically Ticket.

The distinction between Tickets and Assignments would need to be made very clearly. In the product itself, assuming that the Child Tickets were actually "ticket" record types, perhaps they could be included in Ticket grid views whereas Assignments are not. I don't know, but I think that would be an important decision as a part of adding this feature.

• 5. Re: Need feedback - Linking tickets to other tickets when there are widespread outages or issues
                Igor Svetek

What would you call Ticket that becomes the main ticket to which the others are linked?

Major incident         

What would you call those Tickets that are linked under that top level Ticket?

Linked Incident

• 6. Re: Need feedback - Linking tickets to other tickets when there are widespread outages or issues
                  Jamie Varcadipane

Hi Cris,

In most of the ITSM software I have either used or tested the top level ticket was (for the majority) referred to as either a "global" ticket or a "parent" ticket. The classification that I have seen used most often was "Parent". In looking for ITSM software that is developed to be used in ITIL Environments, I have found that it is also the classification that is most commonly used.

For the related tickets, I have seen them referred to as either "related" or "child". "Child" is the most common classification that I have seen as well in ITIL and non-ITIL environment software.

If you were to use "Parent" and "Child" classifications it will most likely make it easier for customers to switch to from a existing software as it is terminology users are already use to.

On another note (sine you mentioned it your reply to Anthony): The "assignments" portion of Track-It and its relationship to tickets seem to be more of a Ticket/Task relationship to me. Maybe this is why customers don't/aren't using it to relate multiple requests, incidents, and problems to each other.

For example only:

A Ticket comes in and its for a new user. The attached assignments would be for each step in the new user creation process...

Ticket 00001: "New Employee User Request- Finance User- John Smith" and it is assigned to the Lead Helpdesk Tech

assignment (task) 1: create new user AD account - assigned to Helpdesk person who creates AD accounts

assignment (task) 2: create the new users email account - assigned to person who creates email accounts

assignment (task) 3: create new user in HRMS software, etc.. - assigned to HR person or IT person who creates employee records in HRMS Software

etc.

Once all the assignments are closed the Lead Helpdesk Tech assigned to the ticket would check the work in the assignments and then close their ticket as service complete.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 7. Re: Need feedback - Linking tickets to other tickets when there are widespread outages or issues
                    Richard Rowe

This is a great topic Cris and will open up debate and good dialogue, as I'm sure we'll see the terms Global, Major, Parent, Child, Problem, Linked all listed. I guess it will open up discussion on whether it adheres to ITSM and ITIL terminology, or whether it aligns more to what Track-It! solves for and perhaps keep it something generic in order to align with other departments that can/could/do use Track-It! for their ticket management.

The use case has strong argument to be a Global Issue, Major Incident with Linked Incidents. And some may also when adopting ITIL loosely or more pragmatically, may say Problem. That again doesn't mean all Global Issues are Problems.

However, my personal feelings and discussions with Track-It! customers who use Track-It! I would think that "Parent Ticket" and "Child Ticket" would be the best terms. Simply because they are generic terms that can be used for IT and other business functions and it's easy to understand how they relate simply by the naming convention.

I would definitely steer away using Incident, Issue or otherwise. That way it can be used for Incidents, Issues, Case, Request or so.

Tickets that fall into a one to one relationship, I would prefer the term "Linked Ticket", though an extra field wouldn't go a miss with this. E.g. Description. Therefore if a linked ticket is, for example, a replica that was raised through email and then a phone call. It could be linked and the Description/Reason: Duplicate.

I know that might be slightly off-piste, so to confirm my preference: Parent Ticket and Child Ticket.

Cheers

Ricky

• 8. Re: Need feedback - Linking tickets to other tickets when there are widespread outages or issues
                      Cris Coffey

Interesting comments from all so far. So originally, we thought to use Parent and Child for this but it just sounded soooooo generic. Then we started thinking ITIL, incident management, global outages, why would someone need this functionality and what would they call it. We thought there must be better terminology for this. So we did tons of research and came up with a bunch of options (which I purposely haven't shared because I wanted your feedback to NOT be contaminated by my opinions) and it seems most people so far think Parent and Child is fine. I hope we get some more people commenting because I would like to see a few more opinions before I reveal what we were thinking and ask for your feedback on that.   Thanks!

• 9. Re: Need feedback - Linking tickets to other tickets when there are widespread outages or issues
                        Mike Jones

We could use what some of us are familiar with in that other product:

"Global" = the parent ticket and "Global Link" = the child ticket.

However, it would be nice to use something that is more descriptive of the relationship such as:

"Primary Ticket" and "Secondary Ticket" or

"Lead Ticket" and "Follower Ticket".

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 10. Re: Need feedback - Linking tickets to other tickets when there are widespread outages or issues
                          Young Yoon

Chris,

This actually came up in a meeting discussing Track It 20.19.03 today.  If we are pushing individuals to use the self service portal, technicians need a way to link multiple tickets together if there is a wide-spread ITIL problem so we don't have to work on 10 tickets that are for the same thing.

Having a tool to link them together as a parent/child would be good, but also having a way to inform the reporting customers that their ticket has been merged with a parent ticket and allowing that requestor to continue to receive notifications as the master problem is being worked on is also important.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                          • 12. Re: Need feedback - Linking tickets to other tickets when there are widespread outages or issues
                            Cathy Grant

So I don't think we really care what it's called as long as it works    We "need" this functionality.

Young Yoon brought up something i didn't even think about and that is Self Service which we will be implementing soon.  There should be a way to notify a person that a ticket is already opened for that problem and then that request should be automatically attached to the original ticket.  That opens up a whole new can of worms but if we can start small just having the functionality for the Technicians to be able to link the tickets together and have them all close and notify the sequesters when the main ticket is closed is a great start.