7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2019 3:09 PM by Stefan Hall

Unknown model version in product catalog

Gajanand Patil
      Share This:

Hi All,

• Product catalog is configured in Remedy.
      • ADDM discovered few new CIi records. Moved these records in Remedy in ADDM dataset.
      • Product catalog mentioned in CI records is already present in Remedy.
      • Model Version mentioned in one of the newly discovered CI is not there in mentioned product catalog.
      • But the unknown model version record is there in that product catalog.

So does that CI record should get normalized ?  If Yes/No , can somebody explain in brief on it.

Regards,

Gajanand

• 1. Re: Unknown model version in product catalog
          Stefan Hall

No.

If DISCO scans a version, it must also be present in the product catalog in order to normalize the CI.

If DISCO does not scan a version (null value), then your unknown entry would take effect and the CI will be normalized.

The term unknown in the product catalog may be misleading. It does not stand for all unknown versions, but only for null values.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Unknown model version in product catalog
            Gajanand Patil

Thank you for your response Stefan.

So you mean than if there is no version or/and patch is mentioned in the CI and record is in normalization, and no unknown version is there is product catalog, then the normalization for that record gets failed.

And if No patch or/and version information is mentioned and unknown record is their for the mentioned product catalog, then it get normalized.

Regards,

Gajanand

• 3. Re: Unknown model version in product catalog
              Stefan Hall

yes, that's right. Here are a few examples of products, software servers, operating systems where version/patch plays a role in normalization, then it is quite clear.

ADDMPC (product catalog)normalized
              modelversionpatchmodelversionpatch
              AnullnullA--no
              AnullnullAunknown-yes
              AyesnullA--no
              AyesnullAunknown-no

A

yesnullAyes (same)-yes
              AyesyesAyes (same)-no
              AyesyesAyes (same)yes (same)yes

With the version you can save a lot of work if you summarize a little about market versions. But that's another story.

Hope the table answers your question

3 of 3 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Unknown model version in product catalog
                Gajanand Patil

Thank you Stefan for your assistance on this topic. Mentioned table answered all my doubts on the normalization for the unknown patch/version.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Gajanand

• 5. Re: Unknown model version in product catalog
                  Gustavo del Gerbo

Thanks Stefan for this table, it is very helpful.

I need to add a corner case here.

In the case were you have a "null" version in the CI and no version in the Product Catalog, this is also accepted as long as the Product has NO OTHER version, this means the version table needs to be empty for the given product.

The same behavior applies for patch.

Kanchana Iyer, a table like the above with all possible combinations will be very helpful understanding NE statuses. Can we add this to official DOC please?

• 6. Re: Unknown model version in product catalog
                    Gajanand Patil

I observed one scenario, whenever the normalization gets failed and there is no version/patch value in the product catalog, in the normalization error log for that ci record -- mentioned version or patch is unknown. Then if we can add the version/patch unknown then normalization works for that record.

Regards,

Gajanand

• 7. Re: Unknown model version in product catalog
                      Stefan Hall

Hi Gustavo,

then my first line isn't always correct. We really normalize a lot and I've never seen your combination before. Exciting, thanks for the note.

I'll supplement the table when I find a computer. On the iPad, I don't like editing in tables so much.