4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2019 2:49 PM by Vern Meyer

Create or update subtask to master, when a specific subtask is updated?

Andrew Grayson
      Share This:

Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to being an administrator of FootPrints, and I'm having a little trouble trying to figure out how to successfully do a specific task via a business rule.

In one of our workspace items, we use a workflow to generate business rules at certain stages. Once the workspace item reaches the "Approved" state, the workspace generates multiple subtasks to multiple teams/assignment groups, via Business Rules and Quick Templates. One of the subtasks (we'll call it subtask "B"), however, needs to either not exist, or exist in "On Hold" status, until a specific subtask (let's call it subtask "A") to the same master item is changed to a "Completed" status. Here are a couple ways I was looking to approach this:

1. Master Item reaches "Approved" state, and subtask A and B get generated, but subtask B is set to the "On Hold" status. Once the status of subtask A is set to the "Completed" status, THEN subtask B's status is changed to "Unacknowledged" status with an update to Subtask B's Description field.

2. Master Item reaches "Approved" state, and only subtask A gets immediately generated. Once the status of subtask A is set to the "Completed" status, THEN subtask B is created.

I'm aware of how to populate new ticket fields using a Quick Template fired off by a Business Rule, so setting the new ticket values is not a problem at all. But trying to either only generate subtask B when subtask A is changed to Completed status, OR later go back and change the status of subtask B when subtask A is changed to a Completed status, are the specific things that I'm having trouble with. Here's what I configured yesterday to try to accomplish method #2 above (seemed more likely that I could do method #2 based on the parameters you cna use for the conditions), and when I published and tested this, subtask B did not get created when I marked subtask A as Completed:

businessrule08202019.JPG

The title I specified in the criteria is unique, and is verbatim the title of subtask A. And the status of "Completed" is verbatim the name of the status that I changed the ticket to, but subtask B did not get created when that criteria was met.

I prefer the method #1 approach, if possible. Either way this is addressed I do need to assure that subtask B remains as a subtask to the Master Item.... I'm hoping to avoid a nested subtask, where the subtask B is a child item of subtask A, rather than subtask B being a child item of the Master Item. Hope all of that makes sense. Does anyone have ability to assist with this? Thanks so much!!!

• 1. Re: Create or update subtask to master, when a specific subtask is updated?
          Jacque Donald

I do this a lot on our end. First thing, that rule criteria, Linked Record that will trigger this rule, just kind of sucks. It is flaky... I use Generic Linking, 'Any', and then add the criteria of the subtask you want. I do use a control field for the subtasks, which you can prepop in the template that generates the subs to ensure it is always there. Then the rule would be Generic Linking, Any, Master / sub that has status of with control field, then do the action you want. You HAVE to run this rule ON the record you want to take action on, not on the record that triggers the action ( i am sure you know that, but just in case ). Also, I call it a defect, but it is a design, Linked Item update rules, will not run but after so many rule runs on a loop. As for automated workflows like this, you typically have to use a timer job. What this boils down to, is that if you have this master ticket, it issued these subs, then you wanted the master to detect that subtask B has entered some condition to satisfy that task, the Linked Item Update rule will detect that and update the master, BUT, if you want that action to THEN trigger the next action of issuing subtask C, that create subtask C rule, will run most likely but WILL NOT create the record. This has to be a timed job. People in our world are used to this condition, we have workflows that issue sometimes 15-20 subtasks, in multiple sequences based on status and even on sub-status sequences like this. Also, make sure those timer jobs have a control field to NOT keep running, and if you create those rules in the workflow and not outside of the workflow, they DO NOT use the workflow criteria, you will need to include that. That is another defect, that as far as I know, is not fixed...

I use a trifecta of rules in all of the workflows to achieve it;

A create subtask rule - timed

A checksum rule for the subtask to check into the master - linked item update rule looking for the control field to match the subtask and the status of the subtask to completed

An automation rule for the master status flipping - a workflow rule in the master that is triggered on update when all of the checksum rules have supplied the correct data to the subtasks required in that statuses subtask control fields - that just flips the master to the next status.
          When the ticket is in the next status, the timer rule to create the next subtask(s) is fired on the next 15 minute run... rinse and repeat as much as you need..

As for staging subtasks in a sequence, say i have two subtasks i need to be done first (A and B) before C issues, when A and B check in to the master via the checksum rule, they populate the control field for those tasks, Then the timer rule for issuance of subtask C would just have those two fields as additional criteria BEFORE it is ran, like status = Step2, and sub1=completed and sub2=completed, then the sub C will fire. Then the automation rule for the master status would be on update (which is also a good use of the checksum rule as well to trigger an update) - and the control fields for sub1, sub2 AND sub3 are 'completed' before the status of the master is automatically moved to the next phase...

I hope that somehow makes some sense, I can share more if it does not.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Create or update subtask to master, when a specific subtask is updated?
            Andrew Grayson

Hi Jacque! Thank you SOOO MUCH for the very detailed explanation on everything!!!! I really appreciate that a ton! I've only been administering very small pieces to FootPrints the last couple of months....... mainly focused on a bunch of other tasks I have, so I haven't had a lot of time to dabble with FootPrints as much as I'd like. So when you say "Generic Linking", "Any"..... I sadly have no idea where that option is. When I go to create a new business rule I don't see that in any of the drop-downs, and we are running the latest version of FootPrints. Because of my ignorance with FootPrints at this time, a lot of the other stuff you explained is a bit fuzzy to me (you explained it well-- I just don't have a great understanding of how things are done in FootPrints yet ). I'm not totally familiar with how/where to implement the control (do you just create a new, hidden field, and populate that field value with something unique, to indicate that the preceding subtask is complete?), nor do I really understand the checksum topic. A little confused about how to define which ticket you're making changes to via the business rule. Of course you can define criteria for the condition, that can be the title of the preceding subtask, or something else unique about the preceding subtask.... but how to define which ticket/subtask the change gets made it to is a little confusing to me. Are you saying that you can only make changes to the master ticket, and cannot make changes directly to the other subtask?

I also failed to mention in my original post that the workspace item for this workflow is in a different workspace than where the subtasks get generated, if that makes a difference. Seems like it does. So yeah, the master ticket, and the subtasks are in the same worksapce...... but the ticket type that handles the workflow and generates the subtasks is in its own workspace item.

Thanks again for the help, and if there's anything further you can do to provide some clarification for me I'd definitely be very grateful! Thanks so much Jacque Donald!!

• 3. Re: Create or update subtask to master, when a specific subtask is updated?
              Jacque Donald

Here is a screenshot on Generic Linking;

The different workspaces do not matter, BUT you need a relationship on each side to be able to use these types of rules.

• 4. Re: Create or update subtask to master, when a specific subtask is updated?
                Vern Meyer

Andrew Grayson wrote:

I prefer the method #1 approach, if possible.

Any reason why?

I like the second option, with a workflow step of each sub-task that requires others be done for it.

On approval, move to subtask creation step one. On enter rule build the sub-tickets, a Linked item update of completion rule moves it to the next step, which also has an on enter rules and so on...

This is how we handle one of our account request processes, and it's worked well over the last few years.

1 of 1 people found this helpful