2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2019 4:24 AM by Jijil Gopalan

Remedy architecture simplification question

Greg Donalson
      Share This:

When BMC announced that they were going to a more simple Remedy architecture for version 18.05, we started to plan to consolidate servers.  So we upgraded our development servers to 19.02 with that in mind.  We already had Smart IT and MyIT (DWP) on the same server and then I was told by BMC that they need to be on different servers or different Tomcats.  Although we had them on the same server, we did not have any issues, but to be compliant with BMC, we have put them on different Tomcats but on the same server.

My question would be:

1. What are people doing around the architecture simplification?

2. Would we be ok with putting Smart IT, midtier, and RSSO all on the same server and same Tomcat?

Would appreciate any feedback you can give around this.  Thanks!

Greg

• 1. Re: Remedy architecture simplification question
          Stefan Hall

BMC recommends a separate server for everything, but VMs also consume resources and cost money. The recommendation is simple and you don't have to pay attention to ports. The "main problem" of multiple Tomcat on one VM.

I'm not a fan of this serverfarm. However, I wouldn't run SmartIT and DWP in the same Tomcat, even if it were technically possible. With us several small Tomcat on one VM work better than a Tomcat with 16GB memory. Starting individual products/components is also easier.

Otherwise the distribution depends very much on your infrastructure and the update cycles. If everything is on a VM and an OS upgrade requires a reboot, everything is off. I would avoid this especially with RSSO as a very central component.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Remedy architecture simplification question
            Jijil Gopalan

Hi,

I would say BMC should start thinking about this particular information like deploying multiple tomcat instance is not good, there might be justifications like performance and other things but if we think from end user perspective its going to be very difficult to follow up, also the System administrators have to maintain a huge list of servers and it's corresponding actions.

Orelse BMC has to come up something like a landing page from RSSO portal so that we can access all the respective BMC products either it can be ITSM, ADDM or Truesight. This will make life easy rather than different port for different products.

To answer your questions;

1. What are people doing around the architecture simplification?

Make a single VM server for Dev and increase the resource like RAM to 24/32 Gb with 4 CPU.

2. Would we be ok with putting Smart IT, midtier, and RSSO all on the same server and same Tomcat?

Yes you can put but you need have different instance of Tomcat as Stefen explained.

Regards,

Jijil

2 of 2 people found this helpful