5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2019 3:19 PM by Linda Kirkpatrick

Interested in seeing how others have formatted their surveys

Stacey Bates
      Share This:

We currently have a survey set up that is sent out upon ticket completion.   Right now, it's made up of about 10 questions with drop down boxes containing Yes and No.  Users have indicated that radio buttons would be easier but I don't see a radio button control available.  We have one additional field that is a text box for entering addtional comments.    I'm interested in seeing how others have formatted their surveys and how they collect statistics (rate of surveys returned, customer satisfaction, etc.).

• 1. Re: Interested in seeing how others have formatted their surveys
          Nicolas Roome

Surveys, especially, but really everything you do.. you should (IMO) follow KISS. Keep It Simple Silly.

Unless you're doing something specific in your workspace, 10 questions is kind of a lot for a typical IT "How did we do?" survey.

The typical survey I propose has 4 questions (each with 3 answer options) and I even find this to be a bit much with some redundancy and will likely be dropping it to 3. Basically you want to know:

- Were you satisfied?

- Was the agent knowledgeable?

- Was the desk responsive?

Think of when you get a survey. We appreciate answering a survey, but unless we're really into it, we don't want to answer more than just a few questions.

• 2. Re: Interested in seeing how others have formatted their surveys
            Stacey Bates

I guess I'm actually interested in how they are formatted in Footprints.   We currently have drop-down lists containing Yes and No.   Users have indicated that radio buttons would be easier but there are no radio button controls.  I thought about using checkboxes for Yes and No which means I would have to have 2 fields for each question (one for yes and one for no) and then multiple business rules to clear the check boxes in case the user wants to change their answer.   Is this the correct approach?

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Interested in seeing how others have formatted their surveys
              Linda Kirkpatrick

Hi Stacey! 

I recommend using drop down boxes.  also, I dont allow customers to change their survey once it is submitted.

The drop down boxes contain values 1-5, and then i have a corresponding business rule (in this case, five of them) that take the value chosen (for example "5") and then sets that value in an integer field.  

So if you have five survey questions, five possible selections each, you have 25 rules to calculate the values.  Then i write another business rule which calculates the overall score.

Its easier than it sounds and only takes about an hour to setup. 

• 4. Re: Interested in seeing how others have formatted their surveys
                Nicolas Roome

Like Linda said, you want to use drop downs. They're basically the same as radio buttons except you have to click the drop down to see the choices (those darn lazy users!)

I differ a bit from Linda in that generally my surveys have 3 answers to them instead of 5. For instance, if the question is "Were you satisfied with the level of Service you received?", the answers would be 'Very satisfied', 'Satisfied', and 'Not very satisfied'. And essentially any time a question is answered with 'Not very...' then that survey is flagged as a low score.

It keeps things simple, but you don't get the granularity and the 'grade' that doing the math like Linda suggest does. My philosophy is always KISS. But if you want to really have a "score" to your survey, associating numerical values to answers, and then doing the math, is the only way to go.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Interested in seeing how others have formatted their surveys
                  Linda Kirkpatrick

Stacey not to bombard you with answers but i happened upon this article today in my inter-netting

Survey Best Practices & Design Guidelines | SurveyMonkey

and also HDI is always a great resource

https://www.thinkhdi.com/search.aspx?s=survey