3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2019 9:41 AM by Anne Brock

Calculate or estimate RF CMDB storage usage

Brian Morris
      Share This:

How would you go about estimating the amount of RemedyForce CMDB storage is required by a given 11.3.x Discovery system? Assuming the base OOTB integration and no filters.

After that, how much space savings is realized by filtering out data? Is there some rule of thumb?

• 1. Re: Calculate or estimate RF CMDB storage usage
          Brice-Emmanuel Loiseaux

Never came across such metrics. Rules would depend on many unknown factors (average storage size for a CIs / relationships graph on RemedyForce CMDB DB, complexity of this graph, how many graphs, which filtering scope...). Rather get real world examples, if anyone want to share...

• 2. Re: Calculate or estimate RF CMDB storage usage
            Brian Morris

Me either, although I vaguely remember something possibly being available for Atrium CMDB? Not sure.

Bu the reason for the question is that RF CMDB development sandbox is 200MB. What does that translate to in terms of Discovery CI's that you can sync before the storage is overwhelmed? The question of course depends on the size, attribute count, and relationships for the CI's being sent so no one will have exactly the same mileage out of this.

For my environment here, using about 60% of the 200mb, we sent over: 10 servers (4 Windows, 6 Linux), 40 San Switches, 2 vcenter CI's with something like 20 ESX servers each, 10 guests, 1 storage device (Netapp) with 8 storage systems, 1 router, 1 switch, 2 small load balancers, 1 SNMP managed device, and 1 small application model with ~12 CI's.

Your mileage will vary though.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Calculate or estimate RF CMDB storage usage
              Anne Brock

for some reason the figure of 1K (1,024 bytes) sticks in my head as the size of a record in Remedyforce. But that was for tickets; not sure if CMDB record is different. Brian's use case is probably a better indicator.

1 of 1 people found this helpful